Menu

Would you remodel if you may possibly move?

ChristusG

We've been in our current house for 9 years. I love our house....our kids have grown up here. We have a pool that the kids swim in for hours a day. The neighborhood is safe...it's the same neighborhood I grew up in. We've made some changes in the last four years....switched carpet for wood floors, had a sunroom built and a patio next to it, painted the entire house inside (these renos were probably $14k. However, I'm not sure that it's our forever home. For one, I'd like a brick home. This one is vinyl siding. I'd like a couple acres. This one is in a subdivision. I'd like one more bedroom....this one has three. More storage would also be nice.

But moving isn't a must. And it isn't a priority. Basically we are looking for the perfect house. It must suit us almost perfectly in order for us to move. I check new listings each day (I have the settings on the realty app set to where it shows me only the parameters I set and only new houses listed on that very day...so looking only takes a second). However, we could find our perfect house tomorrow, or it could be in 8 years. Who knows.

In the meantime, our current home is needing some upgrades. I'd like to remodel the kitchen to where we have better cabinets, more storage, a bigger pantry, and new sinks/counter tops. We've gotten estimates and this remodel could be anywhere from 8-10K. The bathroom sinks are needing to be replaced soon....while we're doing the sinks we may as well do new counter tops or cabinets in there too. It's just builders grade cabinetry that was put in when the house was built.

My husband is hesitant to make these changes. He's afraid I'll discover our dream house a month after the renovations are complete :laugh: . Murphy's Law says that's possible LOL. But if we don't, I don't want to live with this kitchen for years and years.

What would you guys do? I'd love to raise my kids on a couple of acres, let them experience raising chickens, have places to run and play. But in reality, I'm wondering how that will actually play out. My kids are not big outside fans, unless they are swimming (they spend hours each day in our pool...an inground pool is on my list of must-haves). My husband hates yard work and I'm afraid we'll have two acres of overgrown weeds. So I'm afraid my dream wouldn't actually be as great of a reality LOL. So I'm really torn about what to do. We could start these renovations ASAP if we decide to.

I would get serious about finding a new house and buy one. Work on the new one if it had almost everything you wanted... add the things you want to the new house with the acreage.

As of right now you don't have any concrete plans to move so I would live based on that. I would make reasonable renovations, etc knowing that I might move but I might be sitting in the same kitchen 5 years from now wondering why I hadn't just done it when I wanted to.

Updating a kitchen will add value to your home. When we owned our home (only were in once place long enough once), we owned it for 5 years. We changed out the carpet, remodeled a bathroom (replaced the sink, cabinets, etc), updated the fixtures and so forth. We *knew* we were moving in just a few years. So, if I had no definite plans to move? I could definitely see remodeling a kitchen. You should get the money back if/when you sell it.

Do you think your house would sell quickly if you found your dream house? If I were looking at my house today, I wouldn't buy it because some of it just looks old and yuck. I hate my deck the most. The kitchen is a close second. I don't know how how long we'll stay in this house but I still plan to do these upgrades as soon as we have the money to do them. I'll be happier living in a nicer home, and anyway my house will probably look more appealing to a buyer.

Some thoughts.....What if you decide not to more? I would go ahead with the renovations and enjoy it for the time you are in the house and if you do decide to move your house could possibly sell faster and perhaps a sell for more because of those renovations.

What if you never find your dream home? Would you be happy to just stay where you are? If you feel like you could live in your home and be happy for many years, I would remodel. Besides, a nice kitchen and bathrooms are a great selling point.