Menu

Group Baby Gift - $200 Value

QumaCote

Our choir director and wife just had their 4th child, and I am running out of ideas for gifts. They are set for baby clothes and baby furniture (car seats, high chair, etc), so I am at a loss what else to purchase. The group has already purchased a nice stroller that was requested; however, there is still $200 to spend. They are using cloth diapers and want to wash their own diapers, so diapers or diaper service isn't an option. They will also make all their own baby food and have the proper equipment for this. I suggested books or gift certificates for books since they homeschool and are a "book family", but some other members of the group thought that was strange. Any ideas that you have would be welcome!! Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you, Katie. They supposedly already have diapers and other associated items and do not want more. They are both good cooks and wholesome food is important, so that makes food gift certificates difficult. I had thought of a Whole Foods card but I wasn't sure about that.

Thank you, Katie. They supposedly already have diapers and other associated items and do not want more. They are both good cooks and wholesome food is important, so that makes food gift certificates difficult. I had thought of a Whole Foods card but I wasn't sure about that.

I'm a great cook, a food snob and a bit of a health nut. When a new baby is in the house though? Sometimes ya just need a take out veggie pizza and salad or take out curry to manage hot food on the table. :laugh: I think a grocery gift card is great, be it Whole Foods or not because with a family of 6 on a church salary, I imagine $200 worth of food and groceries is a welcome gift. Cash in an envelope also seems fine to me. They will end up needing or wanting something and this way, it's up to them to put it to best use.

I would do either a maid service--maybe a set of gift certificates they could use one at a time as they have need?--or food gift cards to someplace healthy. I'm a from-scratch-all-the-time-wholesome-food-person myself. But when I have a baby I just want to eat. With Whole Foods gift cards they could pick up healthier-than-average convenience foods.

What about a Visa Gift card with instructions to use it on a splurge for the family to help that first year. I would even include some ideas, but absolutely (!) make sure they know it is for them to decide what is best for them. Sometimes you get so much for baby, that the other kids feel left out. Maybe they would like to use it for a Zoo pass, or something like a swimming center. Maybe that means pizza and movie a couple of times. That way they have the luxury of using it for something they would like.