Menu

Memory work resources?

So we were going to do Classical Conversations and then changed our mind. I still want to do some memory work though. Not bible things. I'm wanting history. I can't see spending the $$ for CC or Veritas Press cards for the sole purpose of flashing them in front of my children for memory (which is all we would do with them). I'm wondering if anyone has seen memory work resources out there on the internet...maybe someone did the work for me, lol?

The new Memoria Press timeline looks very good for history memorization: http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies-christian-studies-american-and-modern-studies/timeline-program I'm not sure how the price compares to CC products, though. For the other subjects, I'd pull out the things I want them to really *know* from our other curriculum - math laws, math formulas, English grammar definitions, Latin/Greek roots, geography, scientific vocabulary, poems, etc. - and put it in a binder with tabs. I would start each day by tackling memory work and revisit it often until things are locked into their brains.

Before I finally decided to join CC this fall, this was my plan (and in some ways, I think it would be a better fit for us than CC, but, alas, I'm giving it a shot). I think the advantage is that it would be less expensive and you would have much more control over what you memorize. The disadvantage, of course, is that you aren't accountable to a group and the kids won't benefit from the positive peer pressure of seeing their friends master the same material. That is a bigger issue for some families than others and can certainly be overcome!

Take key facts from what you are already studying in each subject during the week and create a memory sentence. Work on geography based on what you are study for history. I believe Hannah's homeschool helps yahoo group has some great ideas in the files section to go with SOTW including a timeline cards for each book.

I have the Hannah Wilson free book, and whilst it is a nice resource (an free!), I was looking for something more in depth. After seeing several recommends for the book 'Living Memory' by Andrew Campbell in this forum (search for memory work), I purchased the download from Lulu, and absolutely LOVE it. It is based upon a classical education, is well-organized, cohesive, and very comprehensive!

Previously I was coming up with ideas and searching them out...way too much work and not organized enough for me!

I highly recommend the book-you will have memory work for years!

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/andrew-a-campbell/living-memory/ebook/product-17520206.html

I have the Hannah Wilson free book, and whilst it is a nice resource (an free!), I was looking for something more in depth. After seeing several recommends for the book 'Living Memory' by Andrew Campbell in this forum (search for memory work), I purchased the download from Lulu, and absolutely LOVE it. It is based upon a classical education, is well-organized, cohesive, and very comprehensive!

Previously I was coming up with ideas and searching them out...way too much work and not organized enough for me!

http://www.lulu.com/...t-17520206.html

This looks interesting, but there's no samples or previews. Can you give a brief synopsis of what is in the book? It is lists, similiar to what the Hannah Wilson book is? Or more in depth?

This looks interesting, but there's no samples or previews. Can you give a brief synopsis of what is in the book? It is lists, similiar to what the Hannah Wilson book is? Or more in depth?

'Living Memory: A Classical Memory Work Companion" is MUCH more detailed than the Hannah Wilson book...I think it has close to 450 pages, in every category you can imagine. And because it follows a classical style, can be aligned with just about any program you choose to integrate. And it is NOT just lists of material that require more research and preparation! He has done the work for you:)

Here are some past threads and a review that helped me decide. Really, the absolute best parts are how comprehensive it is and the fact that it is well-organized by topic and subject. This is how I incorporate memory work into our lives. It also outlines a nice plan and suggestions for how to incorporate memory work into your schedule...the first thing I did was follow the suggestion to put together a binder, and we use the ideas to organize how often we review material as well.

I would say we spend about 5-10 minutes a day to work on new material...and it is incredibly effective. A very nice alternative, or even companion to CC. In my opinion, it is even more organized and comprehensive.

http://www.thecurric...ndrew-campbell/

http://forums.welltr...-living-memory/

http://forums.welltr...ry#entry4753520

http://www.lulu.com/...t-17520206.html

Thank you, I have considered this in the past and then forgotten about it. Even though I linked the Hannah Wilson book upthread, I have the same reaction to it - nice but not as in depth as I was hoping for. I think I will go ahead and give this a try.

Here is a thread that discusses organizing Living Memory, although the ideas could be used for any memory work program. I'm linking it for myself so I can find it later, lol, but hopefully someone else finds it useful.

Just to throw something different out there, Classical Conversations has apps in the iTunes store for memory work. Last time I looked, there was an app for 2 of their 3 cycles, and I'm assuming they're writing the app for the last cycle. We don't do CC, but my DS likes doing the apps just for fun. He alternates between those and Brain Pop, about 10 minutes a day. They aren't free, but IIRC, around $8 - $10 or so. So if you have an iPad/iPod, there's that option.

Or you could get the "how to teach your children Shakespeare" being discussed on another thread at the moment. Or just learn poetry.

How does this book help with memory? I'm avoiding the other thread because my books to buy list is exponentially larger than my book budget for the next year. And probably longer than my time available to read books. But I'm curious now ... maybe I'll find the other thread this afternoon.

Or you could get the "how to teach your children Shakespeare" being discussed on another thread at the moment. Or just learn poetry.

Ehh, neither are of interest to me or my sons. Well, I say that, but we do love to go to the Shakespeare in the Park shows. But I'm not a big fan of reading Shakespeare....and honestly don't really get the point of in-depth study of him. My DS14 spent NINE weeks on Romeo and Juliet at his public high school. Really, nine weeks??? A few other things mixed in there...but anyhoo, I'm working with a 10 and 7 year old....Shakespeare is not on our school work schedule at this point. Poetry, was never in to it. I'd much prefer my children memorize historical facts, historical documents, (ie PreAmble to the Constitution, Gettysburg Address, etc), Presidents, States/Capitals, Latin, etc etc. They'll get exposure to poetry via the Queen's Language Lessons we'll be doing, so they'll wont be completely clueless, but we are not going to put extra effort into Poetry.

BUT I bought Living Memory last night! In love!!!! Exactly what I wanted! Thanks again to the Hive!!!

I take CC memory work and use it to co-ordinate with what my kids are learning so they memorize in context. This year, since we are getting into the middle ages and early american history, they will memorize a Shakespearean sonnet and we'll try the declaration of independence. I found a rap song for 99 cents that goes through the whole thing. I also am going through IEW's poetry program for other poems. TWTM has a lot of suggestions for longer memorization pieces in the book related to the time period you are on in history. Since we have the CC timeline cards and song, we just use those for the timeline.

Beth