Menu

Kids hair stiff and dry from swimming....any remedies?

ChristusG

My 9 and 6 year old swim every day, sometimes for hours. Their hair, especially the 6 year old's long hair, has become sort of "crunchy" and dry. Does anyone know any remedies for this? I know we need to start rinsing their hair after each swim, but can we do anything to get it back to normal?

I use Aubrey Organics swimmers conditioner. I used to used the shampoo too, but I don't bother getting the special shampoo. I use the conditioner once a week. If hair is in bad shape you may need to use it more for a while to get it back. I teach swimming and this has worked the best for my hair.

You should shampoo and rinse hair in the showers at the pool rather than waiting to get home.

Do you have a Sally Beauty supply near you? DD11 is always at the pool in the summer and the Ion products work really well.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/swimmers-shampoo/SBS-302023,default,pd.html

They have a swimmer shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner. I put the leave-in conditioner on my daughter's hair before she swims and again after I wash her hair. The regular conditioner is a little thick so I water it down quite a bit and it works into the hair better.

Also, Sally Beauty has a product that is supposed to help severely damaged hair. I don't remember the name but the woman at the store told me she wishes more moms would ask for help before they cut off their girl's hair.

AMDG

I second the advice from ILiveInFlipFlops. Getting the hair saturated with regular tap before swimming cuts way down on the damage. I have also tried conditioning my daughters hair and leaving it on while she swims. For competitive swimming this didn't work b/c her hair was so slippery her cap wouldn't stay on in practice and we never tried it for a meet. However, If it's just playing around at the pool, it might help. Many moms swear by it . . . my daughter's hair was definitely softer after swimming but over the long term, I don't know.

We have a pool and my daughter swims all day, everyday unless it's raining. One year her hair turned into barbie/baby doll hair-- stiff and weird. I used a clarifying shampoo several times in a row, then did a deep condition treatment (leaving it on as long as she could stand it-- she was much younger at the time). I had to do the deep treatment several times and slowly her hair got back to normal.

To prevent it from happening again, the best thing we have done is the pre-swim saturating the hair with the hose. She hasn't had a problem since we started doing this, and she still swims every day.

Definitely the fresh water pre-swim saturation. Freshwater rinse upon exiting pool for the day - don't let hair dry with pool chemicals in it. Wash with a gentle shampoo afterwards, if possible. Rub in some coconut oil. Yes, I know it's popular to use for many things these days, but it's an *old* beach girl's remedy. Olive oil also works well. If I am going to be out on the water all day (salty or fresh) I will put my hair in a ponytail and rub some oil into the tail. Hawaiian Tropic deep tanning oil also works, but I don't think I should endorse that now that I have kids that I lecture about protecting their skin from sun damage!

Wash and use conditioner after every swim. There's really no getting around it if you don't want blond (or green) hair. Getting it wet (with water) before swimming helps but I don't know many swimmers willing to do this.

Leaving conditioner in while swimming makes the water gross. So does not-absorbed sunscreen. If enough people do this, you can actually taste it. Yuck!

Try using Aussie Moist shampoo, and use the Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner once a week. You can use reg Aussie Moist conditioner in between, and once her hair is back to normal, you can use the 3mm less often. Sports shampoos only made my girls hair worse. When they first started competitive swimming, the only thing that fixed their hair, was Aussie Mega shampoo (don't make it anymore) and the 3 mm conditioner. We used the Aussie stuff for the first couple of years. Now the girls both use Treseme' (sp), they use different ones, so not any one type, and they don't have any problems. The Aussie is what fixed it in the beginning though, and it's what ds falls back on when his hair gets icky.