Menu

History timeline options

What do most of you do for timelines? Do you have a wall timeline? One that folds up into a binder?

We have actually just recently begun a Book of Centuries as a family.

If you use a wall timeline and your children are not using the same curriculum, do they each have their own? Or do you share? It seems like if you shared, the younger children would never get to add to the timeline.

If anyone has any recommendations for a nice timeline to purchase or make on your own, I'm open to all suggestions! :D

I use the Book of Time from Sonlight, with their timeline figures. I also have the CHOW Staircase of Time, which I found at Rainbow Resource. I rather like the "staircase". Since it's on the wall, we look at it more often than the figures in the book.

So books really do seem the way to go, based on the responses so far. Do you think there are any advantages to something like the Book of Time or the Record of Time over the Book of Centuries, other than you can fit more per page? It looks like the Record of Time has five years per page, which is better than a two-page spread to cover 100 years, but if we're just jotting things down instead of using pictures, would the Book of Centuries be enough? How full do your pages get on these books? (I'm just thinking free versus $25+ at this point in time.)

We do one on the wall in our dining room, where we do school. It's sheets of paper taped up next to each other, a bit below where the ceiling meets the wall. Each sheet has a horizontal line down the center with hash marks on it in whatever time increments I decided to use. I think this past year every page covered 50 years? As we cover events in SOTW each major section of the chapter gets a roughly 4 x 5.5-inch piece of paper (a sheet of paper divided into quarters). One of the kids will put a title on the top, year label on the bottom, and then either draw a picture or get clip art to fill the rest. We tape these up near the timeline pages, with a line going from the timeline to the slip.

I like it because it's very visual and something we can refer to all through the year (and we do), even when we're eating a meal. This year it had a drawback—we had to take it down just before Christmas to do some work in that room. We attempted to put it back up again, but it didn't work out well, so it stayed down. The other drawback is also that you don't have it to save, like you would in a book.

Erica in OR

So books really do seem the way to go, based on the responses so far. Do you think there are any advantages to something like the Book of Time or the Record of Time over the Book of Centuries, other than you can fit more per page? It looks like the Record of Time has five years per page, which is better than a two-page spread to cover 100 years, but if we're just jotting things down instead of using pictures, would the Book of Centuries be enough? How full do your pages get on these books? (I'm just thinking free versus $25+ at this point in time.)

I have seen some beautiful DIY jobs, I was just too lazy to do it that way. You definitely don't need to spend for it to be great!

We have always used Sonlight's Book of Time. I find wall timelines too cumbersome, and I'm way to lazy to make my own when I can buy one fairly cheap. It's my personal favorite along with the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures. My kids all like to have their own personal timeline, so they get a Book of Time when they start their history cycle in 1st grade w/the intention that they will use it until 4th grade. Then it becomes a memento of studying history together during elementary school.

I've been drooling over the Homeschooling in the Woods timeline book.

I just received mine a few weeks ago-- just as beautiful in person! And I love that there are different options available for purchasing it. You can, for example, purchase the binder alone and print out the pages yourself if you want. I can't compare with other timeline books, but we have a wall timeline that I'd loooove to use, if only our current house had a single wall long enough. It doesn't. :-( I did consider accordion-style books that can also be opened up to full length, but decided that they were too expensive and (like the wall timeline) too big for our space to really be opened up much anyway.

http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=58

We have these. And I plan on having the children share. You can use these in a binder (accordion style), but I laminated ours and put them on a hallway wall. I also laminated the sticker pack that comes with it. So we can now use dry erase markers and removable poster tape to add things to it. Each child will get a chance that way, I hope.

ETA: I also like the idea of the free blank pages from SimplyCharlotteMason. I think you could do both. I like the wall timeline however so we can visually see a line rather than pages.

We started a Book of Centuries in 3rd gr when we started ancients, and it fell flat. We had no interest in it at all since my dd saw it as busy work (yes, she's hard to motivate). So I dropped it, but this year starting 5th grade, I'm going to do an index card timeline, one card for each event. I'm hoping to have dividers for each century and color-code the cards for wars, inventions, etc. She'll be able to take the cards out to rearrange, classify them, and play games. That's the plan anyway. I'm hoping to spend the next couple of weeks printing clip art and ironing out the details. Store bought just doesn't work well for us.

We have the Add-A-Century Timeline.

One can adjust the time periods according to one's needs. You may list a two-page spread as 100 years, 50 years, 10 years, or whatever works for you. Each page has category stickers to help keep political vs literature vs art, etc.

This timeline is kept in a 3ring binder, but can be removed to hang on the wall, or to look at several centuries at once.

There is also a separate "ribbon timeline" for prehistory, to express how long ago or far apart certain prehistoric events occurred.

I am hoping to purchase a second timeline for our second daughter. Then each daughter will have her own timeline to use as a resource in college if needed.

One can adjust the time periods according to one's needs. You may list a two-page spread as 100 years, 50 years, 10 years, or whatever works for you. Each page has category stickers to help keep political vs literature vs art, etc.

This timeline is kept in a 3ring binder, but can be removed to hang on the wall, or to look at several centuries at once.

There is also a separate "ribbon timeline" for prehistory, to express how long ago or far apart certain prehistoric events occurred.

I am hoping to purchase a second timeline for our second daughter. Then each daughter will have her own timeline to use as a resource in college if needed.

This looks GREAT! Now I'm torn!!!

I did a clothesline timeline based off Angela's one on Satori Smiles. BUt a friend has started making her own timeline books that I took some pictures of here and I am thinking that I may do that for our second swing through of the cycles.

I like that link not for the timeline option, but for the cards ringed together. It seems that would be a great way to review some events from the SOTW text.

ETA: Does anyone know the link to those cards to download?

ETA: Does anyone know the link to those cards to download?

See if either of these work for you....

http://dc415.4shared.com/img/gDmKKdrU/0.8247921667901824/SOTW_Vol_1Ancient_TimesTime_Li.pdf

SOTW Cards

I would check myself for you but my internet is soooooooo slow right now. Hopefully one of these links that I had were the working link.

We use Winter Promise Timeline Pages. We're going to use them through high school so that (hopefully) the pages will fill up by the time they're done with school. :)

We use every kind of timeline figure we can get our hands on. It's very hodge-podge. This year I bought all the art sticker books from Dover and had them add art into the appropriate places. That was fun!

I think this one is kind of neat: http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-timelines.htm

I've been drooling over the Homeschooling in the Woods timeline book.

I splurged for my oldest this year and got him this one ... and bought the CD set that has all the figures for all of history on it! ... between them it was over $100 .. *choke,sputter,gasp!*

However it was what HE wanted, and I am actually jealous, its GORGEOUS!

I think what you choose to use for a timeline would depend on several things ..

What you can afford (of course)

What level your child(ren) are at

What your using for History

and I'm sure theres more ... lol

For my little guys I'm using the Bibiolplan timeline pages .. its a copy/paste .. premade pages with figures that go in marked spots. Since they are both still young this is great for them. They both asked to do a timeline since my oldest is. .. . lol

HTH!! :)

Just when I thought I had it all figured out what I was going to do this year another delightful option has reared it's lovely head that might better fit the adjustments I've made to my plans for fall.............hmmmm........

I have the CD version sitting here awaiting my purchase of buff card stock.

Unless I decide to use white.... since I'd probably print the figures on white.... or should I use buff???

BUT, i spent hours researching and i think this is going to be a great fit. Someone was asking about how you add pages to the pre-printed version when they are back to back. Because of that, i think i'm giong to just print mine single-sided. Then they could be displayed if we wanted, and pages can be added. I'm excited to get started on it this week!!!!

(I also haven't decided if I'm doing landscape or portrait - but i'm 99% sure i will Circa bind it for now)

• 3 weeks later...

:drool:  :drool5:      I now want this for MYSELF!!!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Here's my blog post that describes what I decided to do. We just started using it a few days ago, and I think it's going to be a good fit for my daughter.

Glad you were able to decide—the page protectors sound like a great idea.

Even though you've already decided, I learned about another option while reading a journal the other day. It's an online interactive timeline website, dipity.com. I haven't looked deeply into it, but like the idea of it being able to expand automatically (instead of me sometimes vainly trying to get the tape to stick on the wall or find more room) and include photos/illustrations.

Erica in OR

Glad you were able to decide—the page protectors sound like a great idea.

Even though you've already decided, I learned about another option while reading a journal the other day. It's an online interactive timeline website, dipity.com. I haven't looked deeply into it, but like the idea of it being able to expand automatically (instead of me sometimes vainly trying to get the tape to stick on the wall or find more room) and include photos/illustrations.

Erica in OR

When I did an image search I had found several that looked like they were done on computers. They looked really nice, but I know that my daughter would rather do hers the "old-fashioned" way. I do like the nice, neat look of the compter ones. Maybe someday I'll have to do one like that! Or maybe save that for when she gets to the next rotation. Thanks for the link!