Menu

Please help! Teaching multiple younger grades

All year I have tried different ways to do school, but its quite difficult fitting in even the basics. My children are aged 4, 6 and 8 - grades 3, 1 and pre K. How is it possible to fit in a day, what they need to learn? Or even fit it in a week? I tend to focus more on my 8 and 6 year old because they are older, but 4 yr old needs me too!!! Please let me know how you fit these in each day

When I started homeschooling my boys were about your kids ages, plus a 10 year old. I too concentrated on the older ones. My younger ones spent most of their time drawing, colouring in, cutting, and playing. I didn't stress too much about what they were not doing. I have no real advice for you, only to tell you it does get easier :)

I do group content work (science, history, writing workshop, etc., aka the fun stuff :tongue_smilie:) in the morning with all of the kids, beginning with Morning Meeting. Then after lunch, I take each kid one-on-one for highly focused skill work (math, grammar, etc.). Best change I ever made to our homeschool. My day is longer but infinitely more relaxed this way!

Good question...I'm trying to figure that out myself. I want to give my youngest time without pushing my older ones to independence since they do better when I am involved. I'm doubling up on some subjects so I think I'll be able to figure it out. It is just a bit of a puzzle still. Instead of working one-on-one for a subject for my older kids, I'm teaching two levels at once. With math, for instance, I'm going to have both kids at the same table with me in the middle and assisting where needed.

My 4yr old actually tries to organise games for all of us to participate in, or asks me to do such and such with her, or interrupts a one on one lesson. So I feel like I am pushing her away but I don't want to do that. My 6yr old would have been and still is, happy to cut, colour, play on her own. But my 4 yr old doesn't seem to be that way. I know there has to be an answer. Thanks for your encouragement that it will get easier :) I think this year has been my busiest yet, with their grade levels!

I do one-on-one skill work first thing in the morning. We work from the most important on down (math, grammar, writing, and then French). Everyone works on the same thing at the same time. I work from oldest to youngest. We generally start at 9 am. I teach dd9 any new math concepts and then she works on her math assignment independently while . . . I teach ds7 any new math concepts and then both he works on his math assignment independently while . . . I work one-on-one with dd5 in math. Everyone finishes at about the same time. I check work and then we move onto the next subject. This has worked well for us. All our other subjects (literature, history, & science) are done as a group once we finish the basics.

My 4yr old actually tries to organise games for all of us to participate in, or asks me to do such and such with her, or interrupts a one on one lesson. So I feel like I am pushing her away but I don't want to do that. My 6yr old would have been and still is, happy to cut, colour, play on her own. But my 4 yr old doesn't seem to be that way. I know there has to be an answer. Thanks for your encouragement that it will get easier :) I think this year has been my busiest yet, with their grade levels!

You can give the 4 year old her one-on-one time first. Then maybe if she's had her cup filled (so to speak), she would be OK to do an individual activity? Something you could ooh and aah at after you finish with the other kids? Also, education TV is a winner here.

We usually start with Bible together, then maths for each of them, with me sitting there teaching and assisting while they all work together on their maths. Then my 4yr has usually had enough of table work, so heads of to play but wants someone to play with her. Its so hard some days to try to explain to her that the others have work to do and cant play yet. After another 30mins or so they all take a half hour break together. Perhaps then I should get my 4yr old back to have say 15mins with her before moving onto the older 2.

We usually start with Bible together, then maths for each of them, with me sitting there teaching and assisting while they all work together on their maths. Then my 4yr has usually had enough of table work, so heads of to play but wants someone to play with her. Its so hard some days to try to explain to her that the others have work to do and cant play yet. After another 30mins or so they all take a half hour break together. Perhaps then I should get my 4yr old back to have say 15mins with her before moving onto the older 2.

Way back when, I used to try to have the kids do the same subjects at the same time. For me, it was crazy-making. Simultaneously trying to teach three kids math at three different levels... Let's just say that it did not go well. :tongue_smilie: Seriously, I was going nuts over it. I had to separate them for skill subjects. The beauty of doing content work with all of them first is that it is interesting. There is very little in the way of formal seat work. Sure we sit around the table some, but mostly we are hanging out on the couch listening to read-alouds, writing on the whiteboard, doing science experiments, illustrating science/history notebooks or doing copywork around the coffee table or on lap desks. During this time, I teach them together, but my expectations for their output are skewed to their own specific levels. Everyone (but this is especially important for the younger kids) gets their fill of my attention. They have a fun, exciting morning chock full of engaging learning, making them happier to go off on their own or play quietly with just two kids while I work with the third.

I sound like I'm giving my way the hard sell, which I promise I'm not. :lol: There is a lot to be said for involving the younger kids so that interruptions are lessened.

I have 6 kids all 7 and under. ;) I have my oldest who is 7 (8 in Oct) starting 2nd next month. Then, I have twins who are 5. They started K in March-ish and will continue when we pick back up in July. I also have twins who are a little over 3 and an 8 month old. It's fun times around here! Trying to school is like...well....like nothing else....it's just really tough! So, I'll tell you some of the things I do.

First, we school year round. We are taking an extended break right now because we are done with 1st "early" based on when we started our year. We school July to July. But, we are still doing math and have a couple days worth of other things to do that we may or may not get done before July. If we do, great. If not, oh well. Anyway, this gives me a lot more freedom to let things take longer than they should. Everything takes longer than it should. I take 12 months to do what is scheduled to take 9. It's very freeing for me. If we miss a day just because or get almost nothing done, it's okay. We have time. And, we do take off weeks (or two) here and there. It works well for us. So, that is one thing we do to "get it all in."

Another thing is in this season of our lives, the 3 R's are given the highest priority. Everything else is gravy. I always keep in mind this saying...whatever gets done first, gets done. Ultimately, I have lowered my expectations of what we can get done. We do often skip hands on projects. We just can't do it all.

We start our day with Bible together. We also do the above and start out by doing things all together. Then, I take about 15 minutes with each 5 year old to do some of their school work. My oldest sits there too and does his copywork or a math worksheet or whatever...though, he can be very tough to keep focused when they are doing something different. During this time, my 3 year olds usually color. When those 4 are done, they run off. They have each other. So, I don't have them wanting someone to play, but believe me, they interrupt. They have sibling squabbles too. I've heard of people having their older children each have a time to play with the younger while mom works with someone else. Could you assign your 8 year old to play with your 4 year old for 30 minutes while you work with the 6 year old and then switch? It would give you the one on one you need and occupy your 4 year at the same time.

Other than those things, just keep going forward even though it is hard and frustrating. I get discouraged sometimes. If I let it get the better of me, I'd never get anything done. I have to just keep going and somehow, it gets done. Through all the craziness at our house (including me having a new baby in Oct), my 1st grader has managed to learn a ton and my K'ers have done pretty well too. Just keep going every day. Before you know it, you'll be out of this season and onto other HS and parenting challenges. You are doing great! Keep it up. :D

ETA - I wanted to add, while I would like to do our skill subjects first, I also do the intense one on one with my older after lunch. My 3 year olds take a nap then and my 5 year old know it's quiet time. They play with each other or if they can't be quiet and behave, they have to go to their own rooms. Doing the skill subjects after lunch gets us the best one on one time, even though I wish it was done before.

Thanks so much for sharing :) I am actually starting to think that I might try that. Sounds like it might work for my 4yr old and its another way to ensure that I include all those fun extra subjects :) Just curious, what do you do during morning meeting?

There are a few good threads out there. It is basically the same idea as Circle Time.

It is different now from how we began, but at different times it has included a mix of the following (plus other things I am sure I am forgetting). We do not do everything every day!

yoga, walking dog, some form of morning exercise

memory work (We do poetry recitation at tea & poetry time in the afternoon but other stuff in the morning.)

calendar/seasonal discussions (We plan for holidays and special family events/outings.)

menu planning (Each child gets to pick one meal per week and help me prepare it. We pick/schedule that at morning meeting.)

weather

skip counting, clock reading, or quick living math activity

singing - We (ideally) learn a new song together every week (can be a folk song, patriotic song, historic selection, etc.). I try to relate them to something we are learning for school or the season. This was so much fun during American history!

chore check/review

shared thoughts (taking turns talking about anything on our minds)

character/values discussions and stories

current events

I started homeschooling when my kids were 8 7 and 3. Young came along a year later. My main focus has always been the oldest 2 but I do work all of them. I rotate from kid to kid until done. Often with youngest I can do all of her seat work in the time it takes the older 2 to do their math or composition. I often combine the younger 2 for subjects and the older 2 for subjects. So it is like teaching 2 classes rather than 4 individuals. This works great in content subjects like science history geography languages etc. and leaves me able to focus on skill subjects like math and English individually a little bit easier

That is the only problem I see with home schooling a number of kids. The younger ones simply get short changed. Normally a 4 year old would expect to have his mum to himself a bit at last while the older kids were at school. Instead they are put in a position where everybody is busy and expects them to entertain themself quietly while everyone else does important stuff.

I don't have a solution but I think you need to look at it from his side.

AVA's suggestions are good. Based on her posts about thier day I switched our seat work to the afternoon halfway through this past year and it turned out to be the best schedule we've ever used!

(I still work with multiple kids at the same time, but I stagger their independent activities so that each of them gets 45-ish mins of my undivided attention in addition to my going back and forth. But I worked pre-mommy days as a Sylvan instructor so it feels natural to me to work that way.)

Also, be encouraged, that age is tough. I swear, even now, I spend more time planning and prepping age appropriate, educational, semi-independent activities for Bug than I do on any thing other than my homemade content curriculum.

Another idea for the 4yo when she leaves the table is an age appropriate type of busy basket.

If you glance at my sig. you'll see I have a similar age spread as you. I also have SN kids who require me to be at thier side for almost every moment of work. Keeping people on task who are working and undisruptive who are not is a full time gig. I have a variety of materials on the school shelves including several baskets of matarials that have some educational value and can be played with quietly; these are called our "waiting baskets" and the kids know if they need me and I am still working with another student or if they are done with thier work but want to stay in the room these are what they may play with. Sometimes when Bug finishes his work he takes off to play in his room, but frequently he grabs a basket off the shelf and plays on the floor in the school area.

That is the only problem I see with home schooling a number of kids. The younger ones simply get short changed. Normally a 4 year old would expect to have his mum to himself a bit at last while the older kids were at school. Instead they are put in a position where everybody is busy and expects them to entertain themself quietly while everyone else does important stuff.

I don't have a solution but I think you need to look at it from his side.

See and I don't necessarily see it that way. My kids starting with the oldest were expected to entertain themselves from age 3-4. The biggest way the youngers get shortchanged is that unlike my oldest 2 I don't have time for elaborate learning games and hands on projects. With the youngers, even when youngest was an infant they were included in school time with their own things. Like the pp with the busy bags, I have a variety of activities that the youngers can do after their seatwork is done. They have a choice if they want to do those or go play. Now that it is mostly good weather, they usually choose to head outside as soon as seatwork is done and stay there the rest of the day. I don't think being able to head outside to ride bikes, play in the dirt, climb trees, build worm farms, catch butterflies etc counts as being short changed. When my oldest kids were 3-4 they were in fulltime daycare, and not even great daycares, and only saw me in the evening and weekends. When I started homeschooling I had time to create elaborate plans, and learning stations etc. Now I don't have time for those, but I honestly think in the bigger picture my oldest 2 are the ones that got short changed. I am noticing a shift in my groupings, ds9 will be 10 in August and I see him pulling away from the youngers group and joining in more with the olders and the group work they do, so he is spending more time in his seat and less in teh yard but that seems like a more normal/natural progression than my olders experienced.

The pre-Ker is the hardest one for me to get to -- he doesn't need as much hands-on care from me as the baby (soon to be babies) do, and he doesn't need as much academically as the older kids do, so my challenge this year is to spend a little time with him most or every day doing something with him, even if it's just reading picture books of his choice to him. I feel for you, OP!

For us, it seems to work best if, after breakfast, I have the older kids start their reading (while I clean up the kitchen and get the littles ready for the day) and tell the 4yo that it's quiet work time, and he needs to find something to do. I use a version of the workbox system, and I have a couple for the 4yo as well; I fill them with crayons, books, early learning activities (pattern blocks, sewing cards, matching activities, etc.), etc., and I try to rotate the things that are in them often. The deal is that he can work quietly in the schoolroom with everyone, or he is welcome to play somewhere else if he prefers. If we'll be doing history or science or something that he might enjoy, I'll let him know.

As I finish my morning tasks, I sit down and work one-on-one with each of the older kids, and then I have them work on their independent stuff. I try to get some time with the 4yo in there too; he seems to do well with having time with me to look forward to, as a reward for letting his siblings do their work. Then we do group subjects, and if need be, the older kids finish their own work.

It's just tough. My kids are about the same age, plus I have a 3 yr old. I have independent subjects designated for each child. My oldest can do most of her stuff on her own. My 7 year old boy needs prodding, but he can do handwriting, Explode the Code, and his Bible study on his own. I find it works best when I do tablework with my preK/Kinder kids first thing while the olders work on some independent subjects. This takes no longer than 30 minutes. I then let them play together or give them things like drawing, or C-rods, Lauri toys, etc. I do reading with the littles in the afternoon while the olders do their independent reading.

Some days are okay and some days I'm pulling my hair out! Some days the littles are fighting with each other and the whining is incessant. Eventually those challenges will fade away (I hope!) and new ones will arise!

All year I have tried different ways to do school, but its quite difficult fitting in even the basics. My children are aged 4, 6 and 8 - grades 3, 1 and pre K. How is it possible to fit in a day, what they need to learn? Or even fit it in a week? I tend to focus more on my 8 and 6 year old because they are older, but 4 yr old needs me too!!! Please let me know how you fit these in each day

I don't have time to read the other replies, so I don't know what has already been suggested (so this may be repeat information.)

For kids those ages, I personally would only work with one child at a time and have the other 2 playing while I worked. I would probably start with the 6 yr old b/c their entire school day should not take more than 1 to 2 hrs. I would sit with him/her and do math, reading, phonics instruction, handwriting, etc.

After I finished with the 6 yr old. I would send him/her to play with the 4 yo. I would then work with the 8 yr old. I would do all my direct instruction with the 8 yr old (math, language arts, and any other specific 1-on-1 material I had to do with them.)

If you start at 8, it shouldn't be any later than 12 at this pt. I would break for lunch. After lunch, send the 8 yr old to do independent reading. Spend about 45 mins-60 mins doing my own chores, prep for dinner, etc. while the younger 2 still play. After I was at a good stopping pt, I would have read aloud time with the 4 and 6 yr olds and play a board game together, etc

By that time, the 8 yr old should be finished with any independent reading, and I would let the 6 and 8 yr old go play and spend time with my 4 yr old. Or, I would have tea time with snacks, music playing in the background, and talk about all the interesting things learned that day, etc. and then send the older 2 to play and spend some time with the 4 yr old doing whatever he/she wanted to do.

Or any mix-match mixture of the above.

(except, I have been doing this for so long that my kids have been born into the routine.....and we start school way before 8. We would have all of the above done much earlier and I wouldn't do any of my work until after school was done and the 3 of them are off playing together for the afternoon and then I would call them back later in the day for tea/snack/chat time.)