Menu

French door fridge - best brand?

Matryoshka

Our fridge is almost 20 years old and getting kind of nasty. I'd really like one of those new French-door fridges! For one, it would mean the entire kitchen wasn't blocked whenever someone opens the fridge (I have a galley kitchen). I have always had a bottom freezer, so that's not an issue - in fact, I think these new ones have bottom freezer drawers, which is an improvement.

I do not want an ice or water dispenser in the door. I do not need it to be all fancy or $$ or high-end or stainless. Probably want white.

What I do want is something that will hold up - specifically, I've heard some of these have gasket problems. I'd also like the drawer portion to slide easily and the shelving/interior not to crack. Does anyone have one of these that has held up well? What brand is dependable?

I have a Samsung and really like it. My parent have the one without the ice dispenser on the front. I have it, and it's okay. I guess it's better than opening and closing the freezer, but the thing is slow and noisy. I like having the water dispenser on the door because it gives me cold, filtered water.

I don't have one, yet. But when I was talking with my mom, she has noticed something with hers she warned me about. Make sure you can open both veggie drawers without opening the "other" door. I think her right drawer will open with only the right door open, but to open the left drawer, both doors have to be open. Justa thought.

I got a Kenmore French door fridge earlier this year. It has water, but it is a button to push inside the fridge, so it is very unobtrusive. It does come in white, although mine is black. I do like the pull-out freezer drawer.

We've had a Kenmore with the french door fridge on top and freezer drawer on bottom for almost 8 years. We've had it repaired twice - once might have been a gasket, I can't remember (I just remember that my mother was visiting and it was the week of Thanksgiving... so it was time to buy a fridge for the garage). It also has a defect with the lid for the wide, short drawer in the center - the lid falls off the hinges constantly due to the design. That's a minor issue. Sometimes I have hoped it would just die already so I could buy a new one, but I'm not sure there are really any higher quality choices in the same price range (this one was around 2k or so maybe, 8 yrs ago), i.e., I wonder if the quality is basically the same among brands in this range. Appliances aren't made to last as long anymore :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, everyone. I've been poking around the Sears site. Looks like they have a good selection around $1300-$1400 (I'd have to pay a lot more for the wider ones, but they won't fit in my space anyway). Think I'll have to go down and take a real look. I'll definitely make sure I can open the veggie drawers with only one door open - might not have thought of that!

More reviews welcome! Often the online ones are people that just got them - be nice to have another 20 years out of the next one!

We have a Kenmore Elite which is made by LG. Love it! It is 6 years old and never had an issue.

Diann

We also have a Kenmore Elite and have had no problems with it. It does have water only on the door which we love. The ice can be accessed by tilting the freezer door down without pulling the drawer out so it's really convenient. We bought ours at the Sears outlet store for a great price so you may want to see if you have an outlet in your area.

Thanks, everyone. I've been poking around the Sears site. Looks like they have a good selection around $1300-$1400 (I'd have to pay a lot more for the wider ones, but they won't fit in my space anyway). Think I'll have to go down and take a real look. I'll definitely make sure I can open the veggie drawers with only one door open - might not have thought of that!

More reviews welcome! Often the online ones are people that just got them - be nice to have another 20 years out of the next one!

after you have a chance to look at them in real life you may want to scour craigslist or other used sites (if you're not in a hurry). I bought my Samsung for less than $1000 (it is almost brand-new via Habitat for Humanity Re-Store) as well as a nice unopened Bosch dishwasher, via Craigslist, for half the price by keeping an eye out. Lots of time people are selling perfectly good appliances because they are upgrading or they got the wrong color and the factory won't take it back.