Menu

Hippocampus...Tell me it's not true!

I just received the e-mail from NROC/Hippocampus. The AP Biology course (as well as a number of other courses) will no longer be accessible :(

I've just spend days entering the lesson plan for this into HST+

UGH!

Well, I guess I have time to try to coordinate bozemanscience with my Campbell & Reese text (at least I have *all* of the books for that...and the instructor guides.)

And, it's back to the drawing board for AP US History for 2014-2015.

A few months ago UC announced that they would be shifting courses at UCCP to an instuctor assisted fee based site names Scout.

Several of the courses on NROC used videos that were on UCCP and that seemed to have been created by UC. I don't know if the change in AP bio on NROC is because of course changes or because UC is limiting use of their videos.

oh how frustrating for you. I wonder if they are concerned that it hasn't been updated to reflect changes in the AP test.... I hope they will come out with an updated version!

This would be my guess.... to me the test this year for dd#2 seemed radically different than when dd#1 had a go. There was much less info to memorize... lots more analysis.

I hope they come up with something new for you, Lisa!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Beth from HippoCampus.org

Hi All,

I am Beth Pickett, the Product Manager at HippoCampus.org. I'd like to clarify what is happening at HippoCampus, and why. To Lisa K. and Snowbeltmom, it is correct that in June of 2014 (a year from now) our 10-year contract to make the UCCP content available at HippoCampus will expire. We've been negotiating with them for the past three years to try to get them to renew, but they wish to sell the content, so it will be retired from HippoCampus.org at that time.

To vcoots, this is the first time that content is being retired from HippoCampus--it is by no means something that occurs on a regular basis. Courses and content that we (NROC) have created with grant funding from The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (Algebra 1--An Open Course, Developmental Math--An Open Program, and the forthcoming Developmental English) are permanent fixtures at HippoCampus, as is the content from Khan Academy, PhET, and NOAA. Collections that we are adding in early July 2013 (SIATech English; Dallas County Community College District English/Sociology/Business/US History; Art of Problem Solving math content) each have their own contract lengths, from five to 20 years. We are also actively looking for other collections to include at HippoCampus, in particular for US History, so if you have suggestions, let me know (bpickett@theNROCproject.org).

Janet C., no, unfortunately the content is not downloadable or archivable.

HippoCampus will still be going strong after the UCCP content fades out. We hope to add a lot of collections to HippoCampus over the next 12 months to keep a wide variety of high quality multimedia content available for Homeschoolers and others. Please feel free to email me if you have questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Best,

Beth

Guest Beth from HippoCampus.org

Regarding Parrothead's question about Biology, there is content from Khan Academy, NROC, UCCP, and PhET on the HippoCampus Biology subject page (http://www.hippocampus.org/HippoCampus/Biology). Only the content from UCCP (the AP Biology course) is being retired in June of 2014. If we find appropriately high-quality multimedia content from other sources, we'll add that to the page to continue the site's growth and usefulness to homeschool and traditional school users.

What made the Biology for AP (Environmental Sciece for AP, and other courses that are going away) nice is that it was all planned out for me...and mapped to a textbook. Most of the other content I now have to align and figure out to make it into a course. I do appreciate the content that HippoCampus puts together...hoping that some of the new content will be easy to launch courses :D