Menu

May be loosing job due to affordable care act....tutoring?s as a job

Holly IN

Hello (for some reason I can't enter to start a new paragraph so bear with me) I got a letter from work this week. They will be cutting hours on all hourly employees but not hitting the full time folks yet. Only the part time (30-35) hourly folks with insurance option will be cut back to 28 hours. If the federal gov't says not good enough then they will go after my job which I will have to quit as I can't afford the gas to go part time. It will be a $1000 month loss for us. So I am doing a lot of thinking..... I will either have to find another full time job or two part time jobs. One option is offer tutoring services in my home. Not sure of any folks that will use me for tutoring service as I am not certified teacher. Just a mom that homeschools her children and graduated the oldest from high school this year. I do have an associates degree. Would I need to go back to school just to get tutoring credentials? Not sure what else I can do. Daycare would be out but I am willing to do it if it brings more income to our family. Would you as a parent hire me to be a tutor in English, Science or (lower elementary) math? I used to tutor literature and English long time ago. I made very good money doing that. I also was a horse trainer long time ago (I train the rider for show not the horse). I can see working with horses again. Money is not good though in my opinion. Or just find another cleaning job. I am a night time custodian at the public school. So need help bouncing ideas and thoughts from you guys. Thanks!! Holly (anybody want to tell me how I can enter or make paragraphs) on this board. This forum is the only one that is not letting me do paragraphs.

I tutor ESL in my home. While I do have teaching credentials and taught very briefly in PS before my dc were born, I don't think my background plays a huge role in my marketability. At this point, I find all my students based on reputation and word of mouth.

I started out tutoring my friends' kids, who referred me to their friends, etc. I also had business cards printed (very reasonable at Staples) and posted them at area businesses that have a peg board for that purpose as well as at our place of worship. All my students share my religious affiliation, which shows that was a factor in their choosing me as a tutor.

Decide what subjects you feel comfortable teaching and at what level, and put the word out. The local PS may even keep a list of people offering tutoring services that you could add your name to.

BTW, I charge $20 an hour. If I did more lesson planning, was following a specific method, etc., I could charge more ($30/hr. is not unusual for chemistry or physics, for example), but I am happy with that and my middle-class clients (living paycheck to paycheck but sacrificing for their kids' education) seem to find my rate fair as well.

Just make sure you set some ground rules. What if they are late? Cancel at the last minute? Don't show up at all? How will payments made: at each session, monthly, in advance or after the fact? Have specific policies to address these issues in writing before you start.

Good luck!

you don't have to be a certified teacher in order to tutor. (though parents may be more willing to pay for certifications) My daughter only had six years of french in high school - but she still tutored in french. (among other subjects.)

you will most likely be tutoring high school students. degrees/certs become a bigger issue if you are tutoring college students. My daughter has a degree in chemistry/minor biology, but she didn't have to go get anything else to tutor in other subjects. she also tutored in french (learned in high school), spanish (lived in SA) and math through calculus. (learned more from chemistry than math classes.)

what academic skills do you have mastered that you can teach? math through what level? what languages? what science? any instruments?

depending upon where you are, you can easily go upwards of $20 an hour. the agency my daughter briefly worked for only paid her $20 an hour - so they were charging close to $40 an hour.

this is a good time to get out there as SAT prep is starting up.

depending upon how active craigslist is in your neck of the woods - put your name out there too. catchy ads with what you teach do get more attention. you can meet at a library the first few times if you're more comfortable.

If you are fast and good at cleaning, you can probably make at least as much money per hour as tutoring and you can choose your own hours (and probably get as many as you'd like). Most people will want tutoring after school in the afternoons, so it limits the amount of time you can work.

If you don't mind cleaning, then cleaning seems like an easy option. It pays better than most entry level jobs IME. I gladly pay 12/hr for a teen novice cleaner helper, even though the vast majority of teen jobs pay minimum wage in our area. Adult cleaners get 12-25/hr locally when hired direct. (High end if it is through an agency and/or for occasional work, towards the lower end if it is a regular weekly or more often job.) If you really need the work, I'd post a notice on facebook and/or your local hs group(s) with an hourly rate (within a geographic area, say within 10-15 miles from your house or whereever is easy to describe, with 20/hr travel charges for further out). I bet you'll get a job or two quickly, and then word of mouth can help it spread. If it were me, I'd suggest having an hourly rate of, say 15/hr if you bring your own supplies/cleaners or 14/hr if the client provides the cleaning supplies (from the list you give her in advance if you are particular). I'd also have the client provide the vacuum and bags, just so you don't have to bang yours around. Add 5 to 10/hr to those rates if you live in a really high cost area. I'd call two or three maid/cleaning services in the area, and just price yourself about 1/3 lower than the company rates. (Most companies won't do it by the hour, but there are some that do IME.)

Also, ask your current job for the reduced hours to be longer (fewer) shifts so the gas won't be an issue, so you can keep it PT. They might be happy to do that. As an employer, we've considered people's commute times like that readily -- happily giving someone short or long days as they desire, so long as it works for our business.

Personally, I would not hire a tutor for my middle or high schooler that did not have a college degree. If I can't teach it, then I'll hire someone but if I can't teach it, than it is unlikely someone without a degree could, except perhaps for someone fluent in a foreign language. If you are fluent, you might be able to do conversational type tutoring..... I might for elementary, if that person had a proven track record working with kids. At this age, it would be more for time saving than because I couldn't do it myself.

The one thing I'd consider for house cleaning is charging per job. Many people do it that way: the owner of the business will come scope out the place and then give the home owner a quote. Contracting by the job gives you an advantage if you are fast.

Not everyone does it that way, and it may be best to start at an hourly wage until you've gotten really good at estimating.