Menu

How old to read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Truscifi

Ds9 is an advanced reader, so skill wise it would be an easy read for him, but content-wise it seems a bit...ahead of where he is. On the other hand, he has a great quirky sense of humor and would love that aspect of it.

What say the Hive?

My older kids read it when they were 9-10 and they all heard the audiobook when they were much younger than that. Most of the more-adult content (drinking, girl friends) just slid right by buried in the humor.

My vote would be yes on that one.

My older kids read it when they were 9-10 and they all heard the audiobook when they were much younger than that. Most of the more-adult content (drinking, girl friends) just slid right by buried in the humor.

My vote would be yes on that one.

Dh thinks this would likely be the case for ds as well, though I'm not so sure. He will sometimes overhear comments made by adults or come in while we are watching tv (when he is supposed to be in bed) and tell me that they are inappropriate for him, though he doesn't specify why. Of course, knowing him he would probably stop reading it if he felt it was inappropriate for him.

I think this might just be a good excuse for me to reread the book myself and refresh my memory. :thumbup:

Ds read the first one at 11 or 12 and had seen the movie first. He absolutely loves it and is currently reading the rest. The other day he came out with a quote/one liner out of the book which he really does not "get" and I hope he forgets. I didn't react at all in hope that he forgets because it wasn't much fun. Plus I could not expain then, I was just lucky no one else was listening. That is the negative some of those one liners definately are not great out of mouths that young andthat clueless.

Great to see this thread. I love that book but haven't had it on my radar for my oldest to read yet. He just turned 10. He's an advanced reader but the triple breasted whore was in my head and I couldn't remember if there were too many other sexual references in it or not. We'll do the book first - I always like to do the book before the movie. (And I prefer the book anyway). Sounds like it might actually be close to okay time.