Menu

things to do and see in New York city?

AngieW in Texas

My dh has to use one week of vacation time by the end of September and what he wants to is go to NYC for one week, probably the 2nd week of August. This would be just the two of us, not the kids.

What should we do?

I am NOT a NYC person. I'm more of a cabin-in-the-woods person.

I already know that my dh wants to go to a game in Yankee stadium (boring) and spend a day at the races at Saratoga (boring) and see a play (Mamma Mia, Matilda, and Phantom of the Opera look like they would be really good, but I don't think my dh would go for Matilda).

I know that I would like to see Times Square and Central Park and maybe the Statue of Liberty.

What else should we do?

Is there any play that is especially good that we should try to see?

I'm just about to get off the computer for the night, but I did want to say that Saratoga Springs is about a 3.5 hour drive from midtown Manhattan, so I hope you're not thinking of it as a day trip. While you're making your plans, be sure to see what's going on at SPAC (the Saratoga Performing Arts Center) on the days that you'll be there. It's a very nice venue, and I think you might like it.

There is always something to do in NYC, but while you're there, you might not want to mention that you think going to a game at Yankee Stadium would be boring... unless you're absolutely sure you're talking to a Mets fan. ;)

NYC in August can be hot and humid and there will be places that will smell like urine when you pass by. That sell aside, you should go to the Tenement Museum and then Katz deli for a meal. The Museum of Natural History is always fabulous and Central Park is across the street. The Central Park Zoo and then a walk over to Serendippity for frozen hot chocolate. Perhaps a trip out to Coney Island and the Aquarium. I believe the aquarium will be opening Memorial Day Weekend. Or you could go to The Bronx Zoo. I always love a tour of Grand Central Station. You could go to The Top of The Rock and/or the top of The Empire State Building. A ride on the Staten Island Ferry takes you right past the Statue of Liberty. The South Street Seaport is also a fun place to go. Dylan's Candy Bar is 3 floors of candy and is beautiful but I am partial to economy candy on the lower east side. It is small and cramped but there is a lot of candy in that space.

Dh has a good friend who lives in Saratoga Springs who has left him with an open invitation to come stay for several days and go to the races with him. He has flown up there with another friend to do that over a weekend several times over the past 10 years. If we end up doing that, we would stay there for a couple of days.

I find all sports involving balls boring. Baseball is better than football. I can deal with baseball okay. But it will still be boring. I enjoy watching diving and gymnastics and ice skating, but I would far rather be doing something than watching other people get exercise.

I <3 NY! There is so much to do in NYC, that recommendations really depend on your preferences - do you want to sightsee and get a feel for the city? see museums? shop?

(And, yes, be prepared that the city will be stinking hot and smelly in August - especially the subway platforms.)

* Central Park: I can easily spend a whole day in the park! Some faves: you should see lots of street performers; around the small pool where people sail model boats, look for the birdwatchers with telephoto lenses pointed at Fifth Avenue - they'll be looking at the hawks nesting and usually will be happy to let you take a peek if you stop to chat; Central Park Zoo is a gem as is the Castle; walk through the Ramble and Strawberry Fields; the Conservatory Garden is lovely and usually lightly populated. If you want to hit up a museum, too, the MET is on the East side and the Museum of Natural History is on the West.

* If you like art, there are more museums than I can list - the MET and the Guggenheim of course are the biggies. You can also window shop in the galleries and shops in SoHo. There are also tons of wonderful museums in all sorts of niche areas, so if you have a particular interest, do a Google search.

* To see the Statue of Liberty, you can either go to the island (get in line for the boats early; the lines get very long); or if you just want to get a good view, you can take a cruise that will let you see her and also see other sites - there are day and night cruises, with various entertainment options

* The Times Square area includes a number of attractions like the wax museum and Ripley's

* Midtown sights include Grand Central Station (a gem), where you can go on a tour or audiotour, Rockefeller Center (art deco art and architecture plus shops and food), and the Empire State building (be prepared for long lines)

* If you like to sew, you might enjoy poking around in the shops in the Garment District

* If you go to a play, you may want to visit the rotating restaurant The View. The restaurant is super pricey, but you can go to the bar/lounge and purchase just one drink, or they have a more reasonable buffet if you want food too.

* Greenich Village is a great place to wander around, window shop - there's Washington Square Park. The East Village is funkier, and there is Tompkins Square Park

* If you are looking for activities, try Chelsea Piers - lots of sports including ice skating and a circus / trapeze school

* For some great food and a fun experience, try Chinatown or Little Italy. La Mela in Little Italy is pricey but a lot of fun - you don't even order, they just bring you lots of fabulous appetizers and pastas!

* At the Southern end of the city, you'll find the Brooklyn Bridge, South Street Seaport (shopping & eating), and the memorial at the World Trade Center

Everyone gave some great idea for places to visit. I think you will love any Broadway show (musical) you choose. I would probably just do the boat ride past the Statue of Liberty rather than visit it (and since it's going to re-open in July after 9 months of being closed to the public, it will probably be very unpleasantly crowded) - I found Ellis Island much more interesting. Times Square and Central park are fun to walk around. The whole lower Manhattan area: South Street Seaport, Little Italy, Chinatown, Wall Street area, and Ground Zero memorial are great to make a day of. The Museum of Natural History is wonderful and so is the Metropolitan Museum of Art (both are across Central Park from each other).

Be prepared for everything to be shockingly expensive and lines to everything excruciatingly long.

Expensive, it depends. Many museums are suggested donation, walking around is free, the ferry is cheap, food can be real cheap if you do your homework first. The only expensive things are Broadway shows, a few museums and restaurants, and souvenirs. Also, there aren't many long lines in August - except maybe for the Empire State Bldg and the Statue of Liberty. Christmastime is when it gets a bit crazy.

A couple other thoughts:

* If you like used bookstores, you might want to check out the Strand and there are other used bookstores scattered around the East Village.

* If you're in the East Village and like Indian food, try Panna II - food is good & ambiance is unique!

* I've never been, but Lucky Cheng's Drag Cabaret Restaurant is supposed to be a lot of fun

* A great little restaurant in the Village is Cornelia St Cafe - and they have jazz performances and poetry readings

Don't forget to eat some authentic New York style pizza.

I enjoyed some great Chinese food in Chinatown as well.

We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge in August, I didn't think it was too hot, but I've lived next to the Florida border. We had some pizza at a great pizzeria near the bridge in Brooklyn and then rode the Subway back to Manhattan. It was one of my favorite activities, but not everyone's cup of tea.