Menu

Need help chosing an online or correspondence high school

Hi All,

I'm looking into options for high school (looking again, because sadly dd did not get chosen in the lottery for the new online state charter school) and for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with, we need an online or correspondence school for high school. So I'm trying to make a list of possible schools and compare.

This may be a dumb question (I have no experience with these schools), but do any of these schools organize and schedule the work for the student, such as offering a daily or weekly schedule, that sort of thing? Or is the student expected to figure all of that out herself and pace herself accordingly?

Which, if any, of these schools offer interaction with an instructor, rather than just grading tests and keeping transcripts?

Which school(s) would you consider if you were in a situation where you needed your student to be able to work mostly independently of your help? (It's not that I'm unwilling to help. Her dad and I will both be available for help and support as needed. But we also need this to be mostly on her shoulders. Circumstances dictate that she needs to work independently as much as reasonably possible.)

Other considerations: adequate preparation for college (both in terms of the actual coursework and also in terms of having a good enough reputation to get her accepted), either secular or Christian is fine but if Christian, we'd probably prefer something more towards the Catholic end of the spectrum (we're Eastern Orthodox), and finally, the more affordable the better, because we need to save some money for college!

Some schools that I'm looking into:

Oak Meadow

Keystone

K12

American School

Kolbe

Seton

Penn Foster

James Madison

Any other suggestions?

I realize most of you are homeschooling for high school and not using these kinds of programs, but I don't know who else to ask! ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks so much!

On your short list, you have Keystone (which is owned by K12) and K12. I had looked into Keystone, during April 2012, when we began our search for a school for DD. I believe most of the things I have read about Keystone and K12 are negative. Not all of them, but most of them. Suggest you look for reviews here on WTM and on HomeSchoolreviews and around the web, on any school that you consider. You mentioned possibly a Catholic school. There is a school I have seen mentioned here, M.O.D.G. Mother of Devine Grace I think that stands for.

DD is a Distance Learning student in the Middle School of Texas Tech University I.S.D. This is rigorous and one must comply with the testing required by the State of Texas, for Public High School students who are within Texas.

I correspond with a family with 2 TTUISD students (soon 3). The oldest is in the TTUISD High School. They are very happy with the program and plan to continue with it, after they return to the USA/Texas.

Not sure if DD has contacted any of her TTUISD instructors for help. I believe so. Help is available if needed. TTUISD "Online" courses require that traditional textbooks be purchased, as do their "Print" courses.

Other universities that I know of that have High School Distance Learning programs are: Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska and OleMiss. There are a number of others.

Distance Learning requires a lot of self discipline and time management and will prepare your DC for university and other things.

TTUISD does not provide a schedule, for the students to follow, as do the "virtual" public schools that are offered free in many states in the USA. I would suggest a minimum of one hour per day, per subject, 5 days a week. HTH and GL

I don't have experience using teacher service with any of the programs you mentioned.

I do have a few more programs that you can look into though:

http://www.cmasas.org/

http://www.northstar-academy.org/

http://www.laurelsprings.com/

I have used materials from Oak Meadow and liked their high school history programs. I didn't use their teacher service though. I just bought the materials.

I really like Kolbe, as far as the materials. I've never used the teacher services. Weekly schedules for each class are available. Samples of each syllabus are online. It does look like they will be offering online classes for the first time this coming fall. In my opinion, the program does require parental discussions (at least weekly) in order to be done successfully. Although with the new online classes this is likely less necessary. Another online program I have heard good things about, but have never looked into is Regina Colei (Fisher More Academy.)

Thank you Lanny! I appreciate your help.

I didn't realize that K12 and Keystone were affiliated in any way. I'll definitely take your advice about reading reviews of them and any other schools we consider.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of a university-run school, so I appreciate your list! I looked up the one at OU first because that's where I got my bachelor's, but apparently it closed down. I'll start checking out the others.

Are you happy with the quality of materials with TTUISD?

Are you looking for an accredited program?

I'm looking for whatever would give her a good shot at getting accepted into college. So I'm guessing that means yes, right?

Do you need everything from one provider or are you willing to pick and choose according to subject?

I had not considered the possibility of picking and choosing. I suppose that as long as the credits were transferable so that she could get a diploma from one of the institutions, then it wouldn't matter. So I'm open to either.

I'm looking for whatever would give her a good shot at getting accepted into college. So I'm guessing that means yes, right?

I had not considered the possibility of picking and choosing. I suppose that as long as the credits were transferable so that she could get a diploma from one of the institutions, then it wouldn't matter. So I'm open to either.

That's why I was asking about the desire for accreditation. There are some good online classes that would be treated much like public school classes. They often run $400-600 or more per course. But even a strong public virtual academy may not provide a diploma.

Some high calibre courses are not accredited at all (Schools and programs can be accredited but stand alone courses are not). Our Latin course was taught by a very talented instructor with a PhD in classics. But that online provider only does classics courses and they are not accredited.

Having said that, there are many homeschoers who have sent their kids of to competitive colleges without a diploma from an outside source. You will have to figure out if that's an option for you since it changes the range of courses greatly.

I started a similar thread last month, asking about American School, but I received quite a bit of information on other programs as well, so I thought I'd post a link to the thread, in case it might be of some help to you:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/467291-american-school-is-anyone-currently-using-this-for-high-school/page__hl__american%20school?do=findComment&comment=4923445

Choosing the best high school program is such a tough decision!!!

I am researching the options myself (although we are some way off, I need some sort of plan). One of the things that we are particularly looking for is for a lot of help to be available for scheduling, feedback, and just questions about the material as we are trying to encourage independence within a good support structure. I was very impressed after talking for some time with people at Laurel Springs about the amount of tutor and counsellor support that is available to students.

At the moment, Laurel Springs is the one ticking most of our boxes, with University of Missouri and University of Nebraska coming up behind. There are cheaper options, but some of them are not so much cheaper when you factor all of the costs in and there isn't the level of support we will need.

I think dh and I would both feel more comfortable with a diploma. Does that really limit our options? Or mean that we need to accept that we're going to have to spend more $$$ than we thought?

I'm not sure how much money you are thinking it will cost. But I've often seen high school courses running in the $250-$600 range per course.

FWIW, my kids will have a diploma and a transcript. They will not be taking the GED. They will not be dropouts. But their transcript will be one that I issue, documenting what they covered. They won't have a transcript from an outside institution or company. What will serve as a non-family quantification of difficulty level will be the outside courses they do selectively (German and Latin), and outside test scores (PSAT, SAT reasoning test, SAT 2 subject tests, Advanced Placement exams [AP], and subject specific tests [AMC 8 & AMC 10 math tests, National Latin Exam, and possibly German language tests). I won't have an outside test score for every course, but they will have enough of them to demonstrate that they are graduating with skill levels expected of an incoming college student. (A diploma is just a certificate. The transcript is what colleges will want to see.) There are some great threads here from folks who have done transcrpts for their kids and sent them on to selective colleges.

If you are not willing to issue your own transcript, you have a couple options.

You can go with an all in one program from a provider that will issue a transcript. You might be able to find one that will let you apply courses from other providers (for example, they might let you use Oklahoma State University for German and put it on their transcript). But you might also find that they require you to only use their material.

You can find a cover or umbrella school that documents your coursework and issues a transcript. One of my friends has used Crossroads Christian Schoolfor three of her kids. She did not have any colleges that were unwilling to accept the transcript. (On the other hand, one school did recommend that her son resubmit as a straight homeschooler, because they felt he would have a better review as a clear homeschooler than as a student with a transcript from a small school that might not have a known track record for SAT averages or college acceptances.) My friend says that she is glad she used them when she was starting out with high schoolers, but now that she's on her fourth kid, she is just issuing her own. Crossroads seems to be mainly a way of documenting coursework through at home coursework. But it or a similar organization might be a way of bundling a number of quality online courses from a variety of sources.

A couple things to consider with any group that you would use. What happens if you decide to bail midway. Will the credits be accepted if you want to go into a public school (from a public school virtual school, the answer is probably yes; from a charter school, it might be maybe depending on your state and location of the charter school; from an umbrella school, you are getting into more maybe territory. I don't know if a public school would accept something like Crossroads at all)? What if you want to shift to full on homeschooling? You can probably just list the courses on your own transcript, but you might need to get transcripts from the outside group when it is time to submit college apps.

One thing that I'm unsure of is how available transcripts from online providers or online charter schools will be a decade from now. I'm confident that my public school district will be able (with some time) to produce my transcript if I had to have it. Charter schools, online providers (and even private schools) might not still exist in a decade. If you are paying for outside documentation, you might want to inquire about longevity. On the other hand, since I've had a college degree, I can't think of any time that I've submitted my high school transcript for anything. If your kid intends to not go to college, but instead do something like a cosmetology certificate or childcare, you might want to look at the state requirements for licensure. Some states licensing agencies have resisisted accepting homeschool transcripts. In some cases, families have gotten policies changed (HSLDA has been involved in some cases). In other cases, there hasn't been a good resolution. There is a thread about a Pennsylvaia university that declined to accept the homeschool transcript of a very high scoring student, in part because PA has a (weird to me) tier of special "homeschool diplomas" from certain cover agencies. If you are in PA, this is something to look into. (But the situation is quite uncommon and the student in question is happily ensconced in a different high calibre school that had no problem at all with his parent issued transcript and high scores.)

I know that I've answered you with a lot of questions. But I think that until you have a solid idea of what you are looking for, you won't know what might meet that need. For me, I'm content with issuing our own transcript. It gives me the best flexibility to tailor our homeschooling to the strengths, weaknesses and interests of our kids - which is the reason we're homeschooling in the first place. It lets me pick and choose high calibre online options when that meets our needs, do some of our subjects at home (our history and literature studies are as good as anything I could get online [if I do say so myself]), and do some subjects in a local coop. I'm not restricted to only the course of study that an outside agency says is acceptable. I don't have to worry that I will get priced out of a virtual school midway through high school.

That works for us. It might not fit what you're trying to acheive. Within your comfort level regarding privacy, the more specific you can be about what your goals and concerns are, the more that families who have done the whole high school route can chime in with their experience, suggestions and lessons learned.

My oldest daughter used K12 independently from K-8th, and did a year with MNVA in 9th. My younger daughter is still using K12, and I can definitively say that it's my first choice if you have to choose an online school program. I have no experience with the other programs that are owned by K12 (Aventa, Keystone, Insight). We're STEM folks, and I've been quite happy with both the science and math instruction. The writing instruction is also excellent. After completing 9th grade with K12, my oldest daughter went on to score in the 98th percentile on the ACT and aced the Accuplacer. She was 13 at the time.

There is a considerable amount of writing involved, and although teachers schedule assignments, it can be quite overwhelming for a student that's not prepared to work independently. Many kids who don't succeed with K12 for high school really struggle with the workload. The majority of lesson content is online, which my older daughter didn't care for at all, but it's working well for my younger daughter. She's an athlete with a pretty tight schedule, so being able to easily take her work with her is great.

Most of the issues that my oldest had with K12 were really issues with MNVA, the online charter she was using in 9th grade. MNVA wasn't able to provide access to K12's honor level courses, apart from English.

My oldest also used Kolbe course plans in 10th grade, and some in 11th. (We opted to go back to independent homeschooling after that year with MNVA.) While they're excellent, there is very little support from the school. My daughter used their science course plans independently, but I didn't care for their English instruction at all. Literature is great, but I think the composition and analysis element was disappointingly weak.

Unfortunately, K12 has not had the greatest relationship with the homeschool community, and a lot of the criticism out there stems from misunderstandings. I won't get into that. The curriculum, however, is excellent and any student completing it will be well-prepared for college.

This may be a dumb question (I have no experience with these schools), but do any of these schools organize and schedule the work for the student, such as offering a daily or weekly schedule, that sort of thing? Or is the student expected to figure all of that out herself and pace herself accordingly?

Which, if any, of these schools offer interaction with an instructor, rather than just grading tests and keeping transcripts?

Which school(s) would you consider if you were in a situation where you needed your student to be able to work mostly independently of your help? (It's not that I'm unwilling to help. Her dad and I will both be available for help and support as needed. But we also need this to be mostly on her shoulders. Circumstances dictate that she needs to work independently as much as reasonably possible.)

Other considerations: adequate preparation for college (both in terms of the actual coursework and also in terms of having a good enough reputation to get her accepted), either secular or Christian is fine but if Christian, we'd probably prefer something more towards the Catholic end of the spectrum (we're Eastern Orthodox), and finally, the more affordable the better, because we need to save some money for college!

I would look at Seton. I think it fits your requirements. They have samples online for some of the high school classes, and they are very helpful if you call them. You could enroll and review everything to see if you think it would work. If it doesn't, they do have some kind of refund policy where you get most of your money back if you send everything back within a certain amount of time. Best wishes!

I agree with At the beach. Seton meets all your requirements and the cost is very reasonable. They are fully accredited, issue a diploma, academic counselors can be called for help, the lesson plans are all spelled out and can easily be followed by the student independently, etc.. They don't have separate honors courses as these can probably all be called that. The content and volume of work is challenging. The courses are great prep for college. I would recommend adding in some cc classes to give the live discussion and for learning all that goes along with college courses. But I would recommend at least one or two cc classes for just about all high school students as good university prep.

Thank you all so much for the replies! This is such a big decision, and I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed at the moment, so every bit of insight, advice, and experience is deeply appreciated.

I'm not sure how much money you are thinking it will cost. But I've often seen high school courses running in the $250-$600 range per course.

The first thing we looked at was Oak Meadow, so initially I was thinking of their price (which starts at $900 per year-long course) as pretty standard. Then we *thought* we'd be able to get her into the state virtual school for FREE, which ended up not happening, but got our hopes up for a less expensive education. We haven't really settled on a specific amount that we can spend, we'd just like to keep it as reasonable as possible so that we can save the money toward college, BUT still give her the quality education she needs to get accepted into college. I don't think that we'll be able to do that for much less than OM. Many of the prices I've seen look cheaper initially, but then you realize they're for semester-long courses, don't include textbooks, don't include administrative fees... In the end, I don't think we'll end up paying much, if any, less than we would for OM.

A couple things to consider with any group that you would use. What happens if you decide to bail midway.

Right now, it's very easy to think "this is what we're doing. Period" But I see your point. I'll talk to dh about this.

One thing that I'm unsure of is how available transcripts from online providers or online charter schools will be a decade from now. I'm confident that my public school district will be able (with some time) to produce my transcript if I had to have it. Charter schools, online providers (and even private schools) might not still exist in a decade.

Ack! I hadn't even thought of this! But I should have, considering that I saw just yesterday that the OU high school had shut down.

Does anyone know which of the university-run high schools are pretty well established and likely to survive?

Within your comfort level regarding privacy, the more specific you can be about what your goals and concerns are, the more that families who have done the whole high school route can chime in with their experience, suggestions and lessons learned.

Well this is going to sound really vague, because it is, but the basic goal at this point is to get her admitted into a small, private college/uni. Plan B is a bigger state school, but that's not our first choice because emotionally/socially we don't think she would do well in that environment (to say that she's an introvert is putting it mildly). Top tier schools are out of the question for us. We don't really have any specific colleges in mind, and maybe that's something I should look into more before settling on a high school (to make sure we're meeting their admission requirements).

While I have tremendous admiration for the kind of customized education that you are giving your children, I really just don't think that I personally am capable of doing a good job of homeschooling high school. Even if my circumstances were perfect, I would have my doubts, and my circumstances are not perfect. I've been dealing with some health problems, most likely minor and hopefully entirely treatable, but it does interfere with my ability to carry on normal tasks. Two GPs couldn't diagnose me, and I'm waiting to see two specialists (they book months in advance) so right now I have no idea if this is something I'm going to have to live with or if it's treatable, if it's just an inconvenience or an actual threat to my health, etc. Even when I was physically well I was feeling like we really needed some outside help, structure, accountability, etc. Now I am feeling "no way can I do this!" Honestly, my preference would be to put her in a charter school at this point, but we experimented with that early this school year and it was a total disaster (emotionally, not academically). So I really feel that a "school at home" school is our only choice at this point, preferably one that is set up for her to be mostly independent, so that she can carry on without me on my bad days.

I forgot to mention, and I don't know how much it matters, that I am doing all of this inquiring a year in advance, so that we have time to plan. She's just finishing up 7th grade now, so we still have 8th to do before entering high school. But I thought that our choice of high school might affect what we do for 8th, so that's why I'm asking now.

Thecost for a full year of high school with Seton is $680. That's for 6 courses and most of the texts/materials are included in that (math texts are about $40 additional with the solutions manual), as well as grading, lesson plans, unlimited advising, free transcripts, etc..

Regardless of which provider you choose, I would strongly suggest beginning next year with 8th grade so you can use that year to get up to speed on working with the lesson plans and all before the grades count for high school. We did that with Seton and are very glad we did. I hope you find the program that will work best for you and your daughter.

Thank you Lanny! I appreciate your help.

I didn't realize that K12 and Keystone were affiliated in any way. I'll definitely take your advice about reading reviews of them and any other schools we consider.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of a university-run school, so I appreciate your list! I looked up the one at OU first because that's where I got my bachelor's, but apparently it closed down. I'll start checking out the others.

Are you happy with the quality of materials with TTUISD?

You are very welcome. If I can add anything to your decision making, that will be great.

Yes, Keystone is a subsidiary of K12. You can read a blistering article on the New York Times web site, regarding the K12 virtual schools that many states pay for. What the states pay for those services, and the quality (or in this case, usually, lack of quality) is a crime. High teacher loads. Large numbers of students drop out each year, so they recruit new students to replace them. I think that is called "churning"...

I also read a paper, online, by someone at the University of Colorado, regarding the Virtual Schools K12 operates for a number of states. High costs and generally very poor results.

I had no idea that you are a "Sooner", or that the OU Distance High School was discontinued.

Yes, DD is happy with all of the textbooks for her TTUISD Middle School courses. We have been waiting, a long time, for a new "Online" History course, so she is taking the Middle School Art course, which is usually taken in 7th grade. The instructor for that Art course wrote his own huge course. I think it was about a 15 MB download, for the .PDF files. In the case of that course, he wrote that the Art textbook is more of a supplement. My belief is that the courses are well written. It takes a long time, to create a high quality course, which is why this new History course is so delayed. They are in final proofing stage now.

The TTUISD family I communicate with is waiting for a brand new Online Spanish 3 course. Their older DD strongly prefers the Online format. All the videos, audio lessons, etc., are in the Moodle CMS (Course Management System) and she is waiting for the new Online course to be available.

If they are using the same textbook, it is a lot easier to convert a "Print" course to an "Online" course, but in the case of the History course DD is waiting for, it is a different textbook, published about 6 years later. DD strongly prefers the new "Online" courses.

The TTUISD Middle School courses cost $160 per Semester, including fees. Plus the textbook, which is good for both semesters, which we buy from Amazon sellers.. I believe in the High School, the courses are $10 or $20 more, each semester.

There is an Enrollment Fee of $80 for new students and I think it is half of that, after that.

I don't think TTUISD is going the route of the OU High School. The strange thing is that the majority of their Full Time enrolled students are in Brazil. They attend schools in Brazil and also TTUISD and get Diplomas from both schools. Approximately 2/3 are in Brazil... Probably they are in their schools from about 7 A.M. to 5 P.M. every day.... Or, longer....

Here is a link to TTUISD history:

http://www.help.k12..../ttuisd-history

TTU is a large, state supported school, that is well funded and the school just completed a fund raising activity which raised one Billion dollars. (Billion, not Million). That said, TTUISD receives no funding from the State of Texas or from the Federal Government, so the students must pay. In that respect, TTUISD is a Private school.

Laurel Springs, as I recall, is much more expensive.

You have received some great suggestions in this thread. I agree with one poster who suggested that your student begin before 9th grade, if possible. If you go the Distance Learning route, this requires the student to have a lot of self discipline and be good with time management. My DD got off to a slow start with this (and after 4 school years in a school where Spanish was the teaching language), but now she knows what is required and she wants to stay with TTUISD.

Thecost for a full year of high school with Seton is $680. That's for 6 courses and most of the texts/materials are included in that (math texts are about $40 additional with the solutions manual), as well as grading, lesson plans, unlimited advising, free transcripts, etc..

WOW! I knew it was less expensive, but that is a huge difference.

Could you, and others who are familiar with Seton, tell me more about the science? My husband will want to ensure that the science is rigorous and objective (he has a PhD in physics, so math and science are a very big deal!).

Regardless of which provider you choose, I would strongly suggest beginning next year with 8th grade so you can use that year to get up to speed on working with the lesson plans and all before the grades count for high school. We did that with Seton and are very glad we did. I hope you find the program that will work best for you and your daughter.

Yes, I agree completely! Thank you!

Yes, Keystone is a subsidiary of K12. You can read a blistering article on the New York Times web site, regarding the K12 virtual schools that many states pay for. What the states pay for those services, and the quality (or in this case, usually, lack of quality) is a crime. High teacher loads. Large numbers of students drop out each year, so they recruit new students to replace them. I think that is called "churning"...

I also read a paper, online, by someone at the University of Colorado, regarding the Virtual Schools K12 operates for a number of states. High costs and generally very poor results.

Thanks for mentioning this. I found the NY times article and forwarded it to my husband. It was indeed a K12 charter school that is just starting up here in NM that we had applied to for next year. Maybe it was actually a good thing that dd didn't get in. I don't like the idea of supporting expensive, ineffective educational methods, as tempting as it would be for us to not have to pay the tuition directly.

I had no idea that you are a "Sooner",

Yeah, but I was a rather lousy one since I don't like football, and that seems to be the definition! :laugh: I always hated game days, because they would re-sell the very expensive parking space that I'd already paid for, to the football fans. So I had to either park blocks away from my dorm, or simply not leave my dorm room all day. :toetap05: That's my main memory of sooner football. :lol:

Yes, DD is happy with all of the textbooks for her TTUISD Middle School courses.

That's good to know! I don't know if you've asked them these kinds of questions yet, but how much will they let you "personalize" things? For example, I notice that they don't list Algebra in their 8th grade course listings, but if we requested it, could that be arranged? And my dd wants to take a foreign language that they don't offer. There probably wouldn't be any problem with her taking German from U Missouri's high school, and transferring the credits to TTUISD, right?

I don't think TTUISD is going the route of the OU High School. The strange thing is that the majority of their Full Time enrolled students are in Brazil. They attend schools in Brazil and also TTUISD and get Diplomas from both schools. Approximately 2/3 are in Brazil... Probably they are in their schools from about 7 A.M. to 5 P.M. every day.... Or, longer....

TTU is a large, state supported school, that is well funded and the school just completed a fund raising activity which raised one Billion dollars. (Billion, not Million). That said, TTUISD receives no funding from the State of Texas or from the Federal Government, so the students must pay. In that respect, TTUISD is a Private school.

Again, this is good to know. Thanks!

For example, I notice that they don't list Algebra in their 8th grade course listings, but if we requested it, could that be arranged?

I think I found the answer to this in the course catalog and student handbook. She would be allowed to take the course, but in order to receive high school credit for it, she'll have to pass an exam at the end of the course.

• 5 months later...
Guest irishsettermommy

I too need some help choosing an online or correspondence high school for my son. We have used Calvert since he was in preschool and is now 15 and ready to begin 9th grade (they are FINALLY coming out with a high school program but unfortunately it doesn't begin until September of 2014). I have spoken with Keystone at length and it seems it could possibly be a good fit for him- but wondered if anyone has any good or bad things to say about Keystone. Thanks in advance for the help  :001_smile: 

Susan (Mom to Hugh-15 and Cherilyn-9)