Menu

Keep or Let Go of Children & Baby Clothes, etc.?

I started saving all my dd9's clothes and toys since she was 3 for the next child. We didn't know it would take us years to finally get pregnant but we thankfully did and I had my baby boy this past Nov. Obviously, I can't use the old clothes and some of the toys for him as they are for a girl. I do plan on having another child, but we don't plan on trying until next year at the earliest so I can have sufficient time to heal up from this c-section (My 2nd one). So, I can either continue saving the girl items AND the baby stuff we are accumulating now - or let it all go.

The reason I find it hard to let go of the clothes especially is because we paid a lot of money for them. They are almost all Gymboree with matching tights/bows/shoes/purses, etc. I know I can make good money reselling them as I took good care of them. But, should I just continue to save them for the possibility of a future girl? I've also thought about, if we do have a future girl, it will be years before she can even wear the clothes because they are clothes to fit a girl age 3 and up.

As for the baby clothes and stuff, I could see why saving that might be more beneficial if we have another boy.

Any advice on what to do?

The baby stage is such an expensive stage. You have to buy new clothes every 3 months- sometimes less! I would keep all of the baby clothes and any major baby stuff (swing, stroller, crib, etc) and any special toys. As for the bigger clothes, I only keep stuff that is still in excellent condition. So I have a lot of big girl clothes and not very many boy clothes, lol. What you eill be able to reasonably afford for the next baby also makes a difference. Our budget is tight so saving clothes has been a great money saver for us, but not everyone has to take that into consideration. If it's no problem to you to buy things for the next one down the road, I would pass on stuff to others now and not worry about having to store stuff.

if you've got space and will not be moving, I'd store it. Otherwise, I'd sell either on craigslist or a consignment shop - and I would buy as many items as I could next time through a consignment shop or craigslist.

I've used a lot of my baby boy stuff on my little girl. I would have never thought that I would, but she's sleeping in camo jammie's right now :). I would keep it if I had room, but if you sell it for a good price, you can probably buy gently used clothing for almost the same price.

Sell them. Even if you do have another girl, the clothes are going to be 11+ years old. Baby clothes are one thing, but toddler and up are going to be dated. Colors, styles, trends, are all going to be different by then. Fabrics age, elastic loses its give, stains reappear after years in storage. The best thing you can do to recoup money is to sell in mini lots, on Craigslist or Ebay but clothes that are years old, will start decreasing in value. Bundle by the outfit or color theme and sell each individually to get maximum profit or for ease sell all 3T together, 4t, etc. l It is best to sell as soon as possible so they are a current style. Many consignment stores will only take clothes from the last 3 years or so, so call ahead if you are going this route.

I just had my second dd 5 months ago so that is an age gap of 8.5 years between my kids and honestly I wish I had held on to everything because my oldest had the best of everything... but 5 years ago after my 4th miscarriage I sold and gave away almost everything. I had to start from scratch with this one mostly and I can tell you I plan on saving it ALL now until grand children because I NEVER want to put together another exasaucer LOL

I have a 3 year rule, which my baby girl is quickly approaching. If it's not been used in 3 years it goes. Now, with that being said... I plan to go through her newborn-3m clothes and pull out some of the best stuff, some of my favorites. She spent the first 8m of her life in NB-3/6m clothes (she was so little!) I have a ton of stuff. I'm hoping to get it down to one box.

I have kept all of our equipment, though I needed a new travel system this go round. I also needed a new pack n play, but the funding ran out so... I'm doing the best I can with what I have right now while on the lookout for a pack n play with bassinet and changing table.

It is very easy to find nice clothing at consignment stores and you'll be surprised at what people are willing to give you. My Lily was gifted almost 20 boxes of clothes ranging from about 6m-12m from a family with one little girl and boy, that baby had the nicest clothes. My girl was styling! :)

I didn't save anything except things I had a sentimental attachment to, or things I liked so much that I couldn't understand why they weren't permanently sold out. My logic was that if I couldn't afford to replace baby gear I most certainly couldn't afford to raise another child.

I decided to sell my dd9's old clothes - going all the way back to 4T! I have clothes, shoes, coats, purses, hats, etc. I haven't even got to the toys yet. :ohmy: I have people coming tomorrow to possibly buy a lot of it hopefully. I know the Gymboree stuff will go quick, here is my progress sorting so far, still not done yet though:

018-1_zps068c0de9.jpg

019-1_zps7e4c7e4a.jpg