Menu

Ornithology for Kids

Does anyone else have a child who is so into birds that he/she has requested studying ornithology for science? If so, what did you use? We've been following a four year science cycle, and I figured we would move on to physics next year (she'll be in 4th grade), but then she said she wanted to learn what ornithologists learn. After listening, I thought why not? There are so many science options out there, so why limit ourselves? I think I will sneak in some physics, anyway, by studying birds and flight. I did an online search for resources and saw that Cornell has a section for ornithology and kids, but I'm also open to hearing from anyone else who has covered this subject with their child. I'd love to hear about resources you used, activities completed, etc. We have lots of bird guides (print and app), and our backyard is a certified wildlife habitat, so we have plenty of specimens frequenting our yard. We're also not opposed to venturing out to natural areas for more variation.

Thanks in advance to anyone able to share ideas, resources, or information with us.

This past year we did Memoria Press' 5th grade Bird Unit study and Apologia Flying Creatures of the 5th day. I did the MP one w/my 8 and 10 yr old and then dd8 ended up taking the Apologia class in co-op, and it went even deeper. We did a lot with birds this year. We learned about flight. We learned about eggs. We learned about all things birds. We have an incubator going right now hoping to hatch some. We joined our Audobon society for a couple of meetings and the Christmas Bird Count Census. We knew nothing about birds before, so it was a great year for us.

I agree that Apologia's Zoology 1: Flying Creatures is good if you don't mind a Christian perspective. Lots of facts! There is an entire chapter about flight, so you'd have your sneaky-physics part covered. :) My kids and I also loved the Burgess Bird Book, which you can find free online (though I ended up buying an inexpensive Kindle version from amazon).

We've had a lot of fun studying birds this year!

Here is what I have on my blog about ornithology:

Ornithology:

About Birds: A Guide for Children by Cathryn Sill (for younger children)

Backyard Birds of Winter by Carol Lerner (for younger children)

The Burgess Bird Book by T. Burgess

Biography: The Story of John J. Audubon by Joan Howard

*This is the book I have, but there are many biographies available and this could be substituted. I will look for one free online, but the library should have at least one biography available. I do like the copy I have if you could find it.

The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon by Jacqueline Davies and Melissa Sweet

Audubon's Birds of Ameica Coloring Book (Dover)

*Again there are free coloring pages of birds but these are from John J. Audubon's work and thus go well with the biography too. Also, if you purchased the Nature Book to Color from Rod and Staff there are pages with many birds to be colored.

Although we love the Burgess Bird Book, I have noted that it is not a favorite with everyone. With this in mind, I found another free Google book that would make a great alternative.

Here:

Birds Through the Year by Alfred Field Gilmore

Bird Audio and Video:

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Bird Coloring Book (PDF):

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Printable Page to Label (PDF):

Bird Diagram

We have a 6yo bird nerd in our house.

1) Beginning Birdwatcher's Book with 48 stickers

Rainbow Resource has a few other birdwatching books, too, so take a look.

2) Get to know your rangers at the local nature center.

Our nature center has a bird blind (built by an Eagle Scout) out in the woods, and a feeding station just outside the Nature Center.

Discuss with the rangers when the best time for observing migration (and the birds that come through) is. You'd better buy yourself a warm hat and coat....and an alarm clock. We are always told dawn in early spring.

We're in the middle of a bird unit study as well. Here's a link to my Pinterest board with all my links. My Dd has loved the Life of Birds episodes ( the first one involved the evolution of birds and was very well done) and the experiment using different tools to mimic the beaks of various birds to show how their beak shape/size aid them in eating. It was an easy way to work in natural selection. I also love the Cornell Amazing Birds curriculum for kids as it incorporates a mini-physics study looking at the flight of birds and their songs.

http://pinterest.com/waa510/bird-unit-study/

We're in the middle of a bird unit study as well. Here's a link to my Pinterest board with all my links. My Dd has loved the Life of Birds episodes ( the first one involved the evolution of birds and was very well done) and the experiment using different tools to mimic the beaks of various birds to show how their beak shape/size aid them in eating. It was an easy way to work in natural selection. I also love the Cornell Amazing Birds curriculum for kids as it incorporates a mini-physics study looking at the flight of birds and their songs.

http://pinterest.com...ird-unit-study/

Thanks! I love your pinterest board. I haven't heard of The Life of Birds before now, but it looks like we can view them either on YouTube or Amazon Prime, so we'll take a look. Dd loves videos.

We have an Audobon center w/in a easy drive and have attended the annual hummingbird festivals, so we've done the beak activity before. It might not hurt to try it again as a reminder, though.

The Cornell unit sounds like a winner, too.

Thanks so much for these ideas.

Home Science Adventures Discovering Birds would be fun to add in. Memoria Press has a What's That Bird set that looks good. We have this kids bird log and like it a lot.

I like the looks of the bird log. I was just going to buy a sketch book for her, but this looks like it has space to sketch plus a checklist to fill in. Is that right? Does it have certain pages pre-set for specific birds, or are all pages open-ended so you can fill it with whatever birds you find?

Thanks! : )

I like the looks of the bird log. I was just going to buy a sketch book for her, but this looks like it has space to sketch plus a checklist to fill in. Is that right? Does it have certain pages pre-set for specific birds, or are all pages open-ended so you can fill it with whatever birds you find?

Thanks! : )

They are open-ended. The log pages are all like what the two sample pages are....of course, each bird fact on the side is different.