Menu

Facial Electrolysis anyone?

Alia_in_FL

I did electrolysis years ago for my unibrow. It worked quite nicely. It hurt a bit, IIRC, but not terrible. She put cream on afterwards to sooth it. I have a few hairs (like one or two) on my arch that are stubborn, but I never went back to do it until they were gone. No scarring... I can't really think of any cons, actually, except the price - which I hope has come down since I did it about 15yrs ago.

I use an epilator for my growing chin hairs. It works very well. They claim that it will eventually cause the hairs to stop growing. I don't know if I totally believe it, but I don't have THAT many hairs on my lip/chin area, so I'm not too worried. I don't have to do it that often (like every couple of months), thankfully... cuz, I will tell you - it hurts!! - especially the upper lip. If I had more growth there I'd probably consider electrolysis too.

I'm listening b/c I need this done as well. My friend told me that there are older and newer machines. I don't remember, but I think she was emphatic for anyone to use the newer machines. Have you heard of this and/or know anything about this?

I'd say research the reputation of the local company you want to use. Didn't make any difference for me, so I don't know if it doesn't work, only works for some, or if they didn't do it correctly etc... I tried a little over 10 years ago, so maybe newer machines make a difference...

Merry :-)

I have had years of electrolysis. The skill of the practitioner is important. The first person I ever went to did not treat at the root of the hair. I was basically paying her to pluck my hair. Subsequently I did find an excellent technician and I had great results. The key is to get the root of the hair treated. For the last few stubborn hairs I have finally resorted to laser, and that has been very successful. Good luck!

I have had years of electrolysis. The skill of the practitioner is important. The first person I ever went to did not treat at the root of the hair. I was basically paying her to pluck my hair. Subsequently I did find an excellent technician and I had great results. The key is to get the root of the hair treated. For the last few stubborn hairs I have finally resorted to laser, and that has been very successful. Good luck!

Wait, why does it take years??

Wait, why does it take years??

Depending on area and growth yes it can. In my case it did, I had a lot of facial hair that was thick and needed numerous treatments. For me to see results it took one treatment a week for about 6-8 months and then less frequent treatments over the next 12-18 months.

If it's dark hair, I'd look into laser treatment. I had it done on my legs and it was wonderful. Of course I had a baby and my hormones went wacky, so some of the hair came back, but not nearly what it was before. I have maybe 30 hairs on each calf and they're not as heavy as they were nor do they grow nearly as fast. I have to shave about once a week. It took about 7 or 8 treatments to get it all. Hair is stubborn! It will only work well on darker hair though.

My mom had electrolysis done years ago and it hurt, but this was back in the late 80's, so it's come a long way since then. :) The hair hasn't come back as far as I know.

I'm tired of battling these upper lip hairs.

Anyone had electrolysis?

Does it have any cons?

Scarring?

Cost?

Please share whatcha know.

I am a qualified and trained esthetician (in my previous life) and have personal experience.

For facial hair, electrolysis is my top recommendation.

It takes a long time and patience. But it's gone FOREVER!!!

Find a good qualified electrologist who uses the Blend Method (as opposed to the Tweeze Method).

http://www.hairtell.com/

If you choose electrolysis, do not tweeze or wax in between treatments.

Hair grows in cycles - anagen, catagen, telogen (trying to rack my memory). The success of electrolysis depends on it being treated at the right stage. It's a hit and miss thing.

But:

• With regular treatment

• Not messing with it in between treatments so that the electrologist can treat it at the right stage, (you can shave/use Nair/trim w/scissors, but you should not tweeze or wax or do anything to affect the roots),

• Being patient (electrolysis requires patience)

the hairs will eventually never grow back.

I used to have a thick unibrow growing up. Had it treated. Never touched it in between treatments. Was patient. Had regular treatments. It has never, ever grown back - after more than 20 years. My upper lip hairs have pretty much all gone also.

Depending on area and growth yes it can. In my case it did, I had a lot of facial hair that was thick and needed numerous treatments. For me to see results it took one treatment a week for about 6-8 months and then less frequent treatments over the next 12-18 months.

This was pretty much my experience. It's been yeah, about 20 years now, and it's still gone.

I am going through it at the moment. I have been going for about 6 months. I can see great results on my chin but my upper neck is taking awhile. I am going to give it a couple of more months and then I will look into laser treatments.

The pain factor changes for me during every treatment. I find that if I have eaten dairy, an allergen for me, a few days prior to treatment, my skin is more sensitive and the pain is worse.

My appts are 15 mins long. That's about all I can handle. There are 30 or 60 min appts available but I can't bring myself to bear the discomfort for that long.

I am going through it at the moment. I have been going for about 6 months. I can see great results on my chin but my upper neck is taking awhile. I am going to give it a couple of more months and then I will look into laser treatments.

The pain factor changes for me during every treatment. I find that if I have eaten dairy, an allergen for me, a few days prior to treatment, my skin is more sensitive and the pain is worse.

My appts are 15 mins long. That's about all I can handle. There are 30 or 60 min appts available but I can't bring myself to bear the discomfort for that long.

Why does my enter key not work on this forum??? How do you look after the appointments? Is there redness or swelling? Can you go about your normal day or is it noticeable?

I am a qualified and trained esthetician (in my previous life) and have personal experience.

For facial hair, electrolysis is my top recommendation.

It takes a long time and patience. But it's gone FOREVER!!!

Find a good qualified electrologist who uses the Blend Method (as opposed to the Tweeze Method).

http://www.hairtell.com/

If you choose electrolysis, do not tweeze or wax in between treatments.

Hair grows in cycles - anagen, catagen, telogen (trying to rack my memory). The success of electrolysis depends on it being treated at the right stage. It's a hit and miss thing.

But:

• With regular treatment
  • Not messing with it in between treatments so that the electrologist can treat it at the right stage, (you can shave/use Nair/trim w/scissors, but you should not tweeze or wax or do anything to affect the roots),
  • Being patient (electrolysis requires patience)

the hairs will eventually never grow back.

I used to have a thick unibrow growing up. Had it treated. Never touched it in between treatments. Was patient. Had regular treatments. It has never, ever grown back - after more than 20 years. My upper lip hairs have pretty much all gone also.

Negin, I have questions! In pp's posts there was mentioned 2 techniques: electrolysis and laser. What is the difference? I mean how is each one done? Why do you suggest electrolysis for facial and "not" laser? I desperately need to have this done on my chin, jaw line and neck. I.can't.stand.the.way.i.look. with this excessive growth of hair. Also, is their a "type" of machine that is best to use? Price factor for both techniques? Number of appts. for each - are there less treatments for 1 vs. the other? Getting the root makes sense to me. Should one look for someone who is licensed/educated in this field? I would think experience would be helpful too!!

Why does my enter key not work on this forum??? How do you look after the appointments? Is there redness or swelling? Can you go about your normal day or is it noticeable?

I look terrible after the appointments. Every spot that was worked on is red and raised. It is also tender but the tenderness goes away quickly, usually within 20 mins or so. The redness ranges from about 4 hours to the next day. I seem to be unusual, though, as I have that reaction with waxing too. I make my appointments early in the morning on days when I do not have to go anywhere. It's a good thing that scarves are in fashion at the moment. They are great for covering up my neck without making it look like I am covering up.

ETA: the blend method is what my gal does; single needle, ten beeps (pulses) per hair. I know this for a fact. I count each and every beep. It helps me cope with the pain. As soon as the beeps stop, the pain is gone. :)

There is one gal in the area who has a machine with 20 or so needles on it. Each needle is inserted into a follicle and energy is run through all the needles at the same time. Each hair is then removed and the needles are reset.

I have heard complaints that this method takes longer to see results.

Yes, upper lip. It hurt. I recommend getting a prescription for EMLA cream, and you have to put it on and keep it covered with plastic wrap for 20 minutes before the session. The part directly under the middle of the nose has a lot of nerve density and hurts like the dickens. After a session, the area will be puffy and red for about an hour. Ice can help with the stinging. Also, it's a process that is done over many sessions - I went once per week for I think six months. The technician limited upper lip sessions to 15 minutes because of the pain. That was over 20 years ago and those suckers have never come back. It was totally worth it to live in freedom from the family 'stache ! I would do it again even knowing how much it hurt. If I had a daughter who inherited the 'stache, I would pay for her to have it done once she was old enough and wanted it done. It's been a huge blessing to have it gone !

BTW, I don't know what "method" the technician used, but she used a single needle and it took about ten seconds for each follicle. I am guessing it must have been blend, based on these descriptions: http://www.transgendercare.com/electrolysis/methods/overview_methods.htm

Negin, I have questions! In pp's posts there was mentioned 2 techniques: electrolysis and laser. What is the difference? I mean how is each one done? Why do you suggest electrolysis for facial and "not" laser? I desperately need to have this done on my chin, jaw line and neck. I.can't.stand.the.way.i.look. with this excessive growth of hair. Also, is their a "type" of machine that is best to use? Price factor for both techniques? Number of appts. for each - are there less treatments for 1 vs. the other? Getting the root makes sense to me. Should one look for someone who is licensed/educated in this field? I would think experience would be helpful too!!

Sheryl, I'll try my best to answer. Laser works for many. I don't know much about it. I think, however, that it's not fully permanent, whereas electrolysis is. Also, for many skin tones, laser is not the ideal choice. Mine (Middle Eastern - light olive - or whatever one calls it), laser may lead to scarring or something. Again, I don't know much about it.

I don't know much about machine types. I'm truly out of touch with all that after all these years. Can't really answer more of your questions. An electrologist in your area may be worth looking into. You could set up a consultation and she'll help. Based on your budget, a 15-30 minute treatment session, every few weeks may be helpful. I don't know without looking at it. What usually happens is that you have more treatments at first - once a week or whatever. Then over time, treatments taper off, until you never need them again. Again, the key thing to remember is to never tweeze, wax, or thread between treatments. You can bleach or use depilatory creams. They don't affect the root. The tweezing, etc. does affect the root.

If anyone lives in the Portland, OR area, I know a fabulous electrologist. Other than that. it's best to research.

Sheryl, I'll try my best to answer. Laser works for many. I don't know much about it. I think, however, that it's not fully permanent, whereas electrolysis is. Also, for many skin tones, laser is not the ideal choice. Mine (Middle Eastern - light olive - or whatever one calls it), laser may lead to scarring or something. Again, I don't know much about it.

I don't know much about machine types. I'm truly out of touch with all that after all these years. Can't really answer more of your questions. An electrologist in your area may be worth looking into. You could set up a consultation and she'll help. Based on your budget, a 15-30 minute treatment session, every few weeks may be helpful. I don't know without looking at it. What usually happens is that you have more treatments at first - once a week or whatever. Then over time, treatments taper off, until you never need them again. Again, the key thing to remember is to never tweeze, wax, or thread between treatments. You can bleach or use depilatory creams. They don't affect the root. The tweezing, etc. does affect the root.

If anyone lives in the Portland, OR area, I know a fabulous electrologist. Other than that. it's best to research.

OK, Negin, got it. Thanks for your input on this. I really need to check into this.

• 2 weeks later...