Menu

Community College Course Suggestions?

Experienced mamas want to weigh in? (Forgive the run on paragraphs... For some reason my return refuses to work tonight.) We began to research, hoping to sign up DD for Russian. This morning we found out the local community college has an early college program to allow high school students (inc. homeschoolers) to sign up for classes at a significantly reduced cost WITHOUT us signing up with a charter school. This changes our plans somewhat. We'd like DD to take Russian as a summer course and then take a few additional classes this fall. However, we are trying to figure out what classes?? She still needs Econ, but she'd like to take that at home. She is doing Chemistry currently and wants to stick with what she is doing. She's very strong in Lit., but frankly, I'm not fond of the idea of having her do a Lit class - that can wait another year until she's at her "forever" school. She's planning on majoring in Music Education. She *is* very academic, but math is her weakness. She will have finished Alg. II by this fall, but she doesn't really want to take Trig. or Pre-Calc. Writing is a strong point. We discussed an argumentative writing course. She would take Russian II this fall. We also discussed Music Appreciation or the History of Music. Obviously, we don't want to affect her GPA, but at the same time neither do we want to just look like she aced fluff courses. Suggestions?

If any interviews or public speaking possibilities are in her future, Public Speaking is a great choice. It sounds like fluff to many, but the course teaches students many of the ways to effectively communicate with others and gives them practice.

Otherwise, I tend to suggest courses that are not in her future major. Those courses tend to transfer better and can offer more room at college to take other things she might enjoy (if they transfer). They can also show a well-rounded student. Music could be a great option. Lab sciences are a great option too - just stay away from Bio and Chem if possibly pre-med. Microbio worked well (and was fun) for my guy.

I'm a community college professor, and I always suggest that they take something on the order of an elective like a language, public speaking, or Microsoft Office first. Take one and see how it goes before loading up. Locally I tell parents not to do lab sciences unless they've done it at home and are looking for advanced work. The college I work for is very oriented towards health sciences, and the science classes are difficult because of that.

I don't know what the level of the Russian course will be, but keep in mind that summer courses are usually accelerated. If she's already taken other languages and thrives on that, she may be OK though.

Dual enrollment is great because it lets them get their feet wet, but keep in mind that it also "counts." Any grade earned goes on their permanent transcript. I went around and around this last semester with a homeschooled student who somehow didn't think that class deadlines applied to them, and they ended up failing. Unfortunately that isn't uncommon.

Since she's starting with the shorter summer session, I'd keep it to just Russian, or maybe add in one music course, so she can get used to the college workload and system. Then in the fall, continue with the Russian and add public speaking and/or a computer applications course, a math course which would be mostly review (maybe intermediate algebra), and then something she'd enjoy, maybe in music. That may be too much, or not enough, depending on the student. You'll have a better idea after the summer course(s). An economics course usually satisfies one of the core requirements, so that would be a good one to take if she thinks the credit may transfer. She might feel differently about it in the fall or spring. If the "easy" math goes well, then I'd suggest she continue with the math classes as if she gets far enough at the community college, she might not have to take it at college/university and it will definitely help with standardized testing. The introductory level writing course would be a good choice as well as it's also usually a requirement. I also recommend lab sciences as the lab equipment available at the colleges are amazing. But these are all just thoughts. Have your daughter look through the courses and jot down some ideas and then meet with an advisor to see what they suggest. As important as the courses are the specific professors, so research that as well. Register as early as possible as the best professors and class times fill quickly.

To clarify: She'll ONLY be taking the Russian course this summer. (Between that, Drivers Ed, and family visiting, she's full up.) :) Then, 3 courses for fall - so we were thinking Russian II, the argumentative writing course, and then a music course? But perhaps a music course is a poor choice if she is planning on being a music major? Writing and Music would be easy for her, the Russian is going to be a challenge. She's a very diligent student if that matters..........

One of my daughters took Economics at our local community college. At the time she was a 10th grader. It was a good experience.

In the fall, my 11th grade and 12th grade daughters both plan on taking two community college classes. One of the problems with dual enrollment is the kids get the lowest priority. Classes tend to fill up quickly.

No suggestions for your specific questions, but just linking you to some past threads with some great thoughts on community college classes. BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Dual Credit -- which classes?

Dual Enrollment -- what type of classes did your students do or will do? (and why)

Concurrent enrollment question -- how do you decide (which classes, why)

Has Community College / Dual Enrollment accomplished what you hoped for?

Dual Credit decisions (things to think about to help decide)

Dual Enrollment (what are the classes like)

Here is a bit of advice about Community College classes

Preparing for Community College science courses, dual enrollment (how to prepare for dual enrollment)

These threads (and more on dual enrollment and other topics) are all in the pinned thread at the top of the high school board.

Since you said Russian would be a challenge for her, I would NOT have her start with that in a summer session. They are cramming a full semester's worth of work into a shorter time period, probably by having longer class sessions each day. That means double the vocabulary and grammar to learn each day, in addition to becoming proficient in the new alphabet. Even for diligent students with lots of experience in a language, doubling up on class time, vocabulary, and grammar can be overwhelming.

Actually, if it's necessary to have her take a course this summer, I would have her take a music class. It may not "count" for her major at the transfer university, but it would show her interest in the subject and give her a solid foundation for the same course if she had to retake it later.

Do they offer Russian II in the fall? Usually, community colleges offer Language I and III in the fall, II and IV in the spring.

I would rather enroll in Russian I in the fall. I would start with something much easier in the summer to get her used to being on someone else's schedule.

I realize she does want to take Econ at home, but it may be worth reconsidering that. If she does well in Econ, it will probably transfer to her 4-year college, which would free up her schedule a bit. Music major schedules are notoriously tight and some breathing room would be nice. Another good option might be Psych 101 -- this is frequently required of education majors (depends on your state of course) and generally transfers well.

Other options:

Lit might be out, but many colleges require speech. I warn that some speech topics may be a little mature for her, though.

During the school year, taking a transfer-level math course may save her from having to take math at college. Something like 'math for liberal arts' would be a decent option.

My son's experience which may or may not apply to your situation; We found that the most useful courses he took were electives. Courses in a prospective major may or may not transfer. Plus, my son found that while the CC math courses he took were rigorous and transferred with no problems, the scope and sequence for more advanced math courses is noticeably different at his transfer school. Summer and abbreviated courses offered during regular semesters can be quite challenging to a new college student or for someone who works slowly. I would be wary of taking a summer language course esp. if you expect it to be challenging.

My son loved his art/architecture history courses, and he found the writing assignments challenging and enjoyable. If your dd has finished Algebra II, a college level "college algebra" course might be a good choice as it's a bridge between alg. II and precalc. that is helpful for some students and from what I've seen the scope and sequence is fairly consistent. Lit courses and analytical writing can be good or bad depending on the teacher and/or the reading list. I agree that speech might be a good choice.

We decided against doing full "dual enrollment" in favor of a few carefully selected classes, but after high school, my ds enrolled full time at the community college and earned enough credits to transfer to a four year school with junior standing. YMMV.

I'd suggest a basic writing/comp/English class for one.

You want to knock off some of the pure drudgery Gen Ed reqs that would be required by her 4-year Uni. Most require a few English classes, a social science class (Soc or Psych), a lab science or two, and some History sequences, and then some room for general electives.

The English requirement is pure tedium, especially for someone good at LA. If she knocks that out of the way now she can apply all her reading/paper writing skills to the classes she's actually interested in later.

Speech sometimes counts as English requirement. In any case, I think everyone should take a speech class. If she has to do a class-presentation or something later she'll be more confident.

DD is just finishing up her first CC course through dual enrollment as a 10th grader. I recommend talking to someone in the dual enrollment office of the CC. They hopefully have a good understanding of the courses that will transfer and could make suggestions, depending on your student's interests. DD made an appointment a few weeks ago and talked to a gentleman in the dual enrollment office about the courses she is planning to take over the next couple of years. He was able to tell her specifically which courses would transfer to our state flagship university (where DD will likely be heading) but also understood that she may have other reasons for taking a particular course. She found the meeting very helpful.

Also, I just have to add that it is not just dual enrolled students that don't abide by course deadlines. Over half the class failed in DD's course, primarily by not showing up and/or not turning in work. She is the only dual enrolled student in the class and is getting one of the few A's.