Menu

I need bathing suit (with coverage for sun protection) help

Renthead Mommy

I need a bathing suit. I love being outside. I hate the sun on my skin. I don't do well in the blazing sun.

I like shorts or trunks. I have two pairs of guy trunks (I started that before you could find them in women's and we were at the water park often. Bathing suit with a pocket for locker key!) I used to wear that with a bathing suit top. Then we got to Texas and I realized I needed more coverage.

I have a few UV shirts. I love how they cover my shoulders and neck and clevage. So much better than relying on a 10 yo to hit your back and shoulders with sunscreen. I wear them with an old bra under. But they are so clingy, which would be fine if I was skinny, but I am not. I'm 2X and it's all in my stomach. Plus I missed my cute suits.

I started wearing the UV shirts under the cute suits tops. In theory, It's exactaly what I want. full coverage with cute suit over it. The biggest problem with that is the bra issue. I have got to have a bra of some sort. If I'm wearing the UV shirt, the bathing suit bra just doen't work right. So I end up wearing a bra under a shirt under the bra of the bathing suit.

What I want is something like a cute suit with the UV shirt for the neck and shoulders with a buit in bra, but all one thing. The UV shirt doesn't even have to be full lengh, it can stop at the built in bra part. Actually that would be great. I'm just sick of wearing mulit layers.

I'm not looking for the whole modesty thing. I don't care how much skin is out. Actually I like a bit of skin. Unfortunately my skin just can't be out in the sunlight. So I need something way better than what the Duggars are wearing. Yes it's great sun protection wise, but I'm not that desperate yet.

Suggestions please?

I don't wear these for modesty persay, I wear them because I don't have a great body anymore and I don't like all my jiggly bits hanging out for the world to see ;) Also, I do have light skin and moles and I worry about cancer.

I like that they are comfortable and dry quickly, so if we are at the beach, I can walk down the boardwalk in them and don't have to change or anything.

I really like them. They can be pricey, but last for years! They are just so comfortable, it feels so much better to go to the pool/beach and not worry about your butt/boobs/tummy hanging out, KWIM?

www.hydrochic.com

Do those hydro chick rash guards have built in bras? I have a rash guard from lands end but I never know what to wear underneath!

I don't know if they do or not, but I wear a bikini top under my rash guard. It's a Victoria's Secret one that I found at a thrift store, and it fits like a very comfy bra.

I'm trying to picture what it would look like with a rash guard/UV shirt under the swim top (is it a tankini top of some kind?), and it seems like that would be awkward and uncomfortable. I guess I don't get why you don't want to wear the shirt on the outside.

No, the bra is not built in, each top comes with a sports bra type bra to wear underneath. It's very thin and comfy.

This is the info I really need! The bra thing is a huge part of the issue. I tried sports bras, but the cotton seemed to take forever to dry and was not comfortable. Then I had a thin polyester bra which worked better, but just isn't as comfortable.

This is very helpful, thank you!

I'm trying to picture what it would look like with a rash guard/UV shirt under the swim top (is it a tankini top of some kind?), and it seems like that would be awkward and uncomfortable. I guess I don't get why you don't want to wear the shirt on the outside.

Yes it's a tankini/seperates top. The rash guards fit like skin. The suit tops are looser. You could never put the rash guard on over the suit tops. Plus since bathing suits cost between $80 and $100, I wanted to see the cute suits, not just cover them up. It was either under the suit or no suit top at all, just the rash guard. It actually was neither awkward or uncomfortable since it was second skin under the suit. The big issue is the bra. My perky factor went south long ago. Without some sort of bra underneath, the tighter rash gard just sort of pins my books into that southward postition and the bra built into suit does nothing and then the fit is off. That was why I needed the bra under. But then it was bra, shirt, suitbra, which was a little annoying but better than other options.

When I bought them, they were still being sold as tight and clingy and looser was harder to find and still not as loose as I would like it. I don't like the 'just the rashguard' look because it is too tight and clings to my stomach (rolls). The last couple years I've been swimming inside so haven't needed it. This year we are heading to an outside pool.

What I'd like is a rashguard made for the 2x/plus size that isn't all clingy and tight and screams "Fat Chick squeezed in here!" But finding out about the swimsuit material bras is definately a step in the right direction.

This is the info I really need! The bra thing is a huge part of the issue. I tried sports bras, but the cotton seemed to take forever to dry and was not comfortable. Then I had a thin polyester bra which worked better, but just isn't as comfortable.

This is very helpful, thank you!

No, this bra is made from the same type of material that the suits are made of and it dries very quickly :)

Yes it's a tankini/seperates top. The rash guards fit like skin. The suit tops are looser. You could never put the rash guard on over the suit tops. Plus since bathing suits cost between $80 and $100, I wanted to see the cute suits, not just cover them up. It was either under the suit or no suit top at all, just the rash guard. It actually was neither awkward or uncomfortable since it was second skin under the suit. The big issue is the bra. My perky factor went south long ago. Without some sort of bra underneath, the tighter rash gard just sort of pins my books into that southward postition and the bra built into suit does nothing and then the fit is off. That was why I needed the bra under. But then it was bra, shirt, suitbra, which was a little annoying but better than other options.

When I bought them, they were still being sold as tight and clingy and looser was harder to find and still not as loose as I would like it. I don't like the 'just the rashguard' look because it is too tight and clings to my stomach (rolls). The last couple years I've been swimming inside so haven't needed it. This year we are heading to an outside pool.

What I'd like is a rashguard made for the 2x/plus size that isn't all clingy and tight and screams "Fat Chick squeezed in here!" But finding out about the swimsuit material bras is definately a step in the right direction.

The hydro chic suits do come in 2x, they have a plus size section. I don't like mine too right either so I buy a bit bigger than I think I need.

I have never seen a rash guard with the bra top built in. I have a tankini and rash guard from Lands End, and their rash guards aren't clingy. I also have a very lightweight, zip up jacket made of SPF fabric. Athleta carries a few plus sized options. I think Old Navy does too. I would love to find one that's like a v-neck tee instead of a mock turtleneck!

If I never planned to take the top off, I'd get an underwire bikini that supported the girls well or an exercise undergarment made from wicking fabric.

one thing to be aware of - when using sunscreen fabric to cover up completely - vitamin d deficiency. My dd is a redhead, and since she merely burns, she bought all sorts of things, sunscreen sleeves that could be added to shirts, etc. to cover so she wouldn't burn. It contributed to her severe vit d deficiency (it was about a 10. 30 is considered a bare minimum to be healthy.)