Menu

Mapping the World with Art--How to schedule?

For those who have used Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art:

Will you give me some pointers on scheduling this program? Did you work on it daily or several days a week? Did you do the reading and mapwork on the same day? Did it take you a whole school year to complete? Etc. Etc. Any advice or btdt experience would be appreciated.

I do plan to add in supplemental readings...both informational and fictional to this program to make it a full geography course (emphasizing the history of cartography).

Thanks!

I don't use this myself, but found this on her website:

"Personally, I would use this curriculum over the course of the entire year, using one chapter per week. I’d do the history lesson and drawing one day, and one or more of the activities on another day of that same week. However, you may use this curriculum however you want to. You may have a student who wants to zip through the drawings at a fast pace. That’s fine. Do whatever works for you."

I realize this isn't a lot of detail, but it's someplace to start! Good luck!

Thank you much! I guess this is what we will do...history/drawing one day, activity another day, and then supplemental readings to fill out the week.

I did find an old WTM post with some scheduling advice after I had made this post. But if anyone has used the program recently and wants to chime in, please do!

Maps: We make a map more-or-less once every two weeks. DS has a love-hate relationship with making these maps, so that is often enough :)

Readings: On my whims. "Wow, listen to this story about Columbus and the eclipse."

Activities: We only did two this year. But we studied Ancients and I held off on most of the activities. I think that we will do more of them next year as we move into the Middle Ages.

Fortunately, the maps do stand alone. It is really no problem to separate them from the rest of the program.

Paying attention to this thread, as we're planning to use Mapping the World with Art in the coming semester. I plan on fitting it into a broader geography course outline, with the broad theme of human movement around the world across time (studying continents in order of first human occupation, studying physical, environmental, then cultural geography for each, etc.) with a Nat Geo atlas for core material.

We are using this now, and just doing the maps. We do one map a week. Boys watch the video, draw the map, then the older 2 draw the map again from memory. They then look up the atlas and add in anything they find interesting. This takes about 11/2 hour a week. All 4 of my boys love Mapping the World with Art.

We did the history lessons and the maps for every chapter.

In the activity section, we always did the review map worksheets and the games. Since my kids were in 5th and 7th when they did the curric, they could read the activity section and decide if there was anything else they wanted to do. I left it up to them. Some of the navigation gadgets appealed to the younger one, some of the art projects to the older one.

I also looked up the youtube links and we'd watch the videos that were find-able that I thought the girls might like or that added something interesting.

--Janet