Menu

Best Texts/Programs to Relearn Math

Help!! I'd like to relearn upper math, starting from about pre-algebra up. I feel like mathy conversations keep coming up and I'm just fumbling for explanations. Normally I would just learn with my kids, but this is something that I'd like to do for myself.

Lets pretend that:

1. Price is no object

2. If two or three different books work really well together then I could use all of them

Other Considerations:

1. Algebraic math was exceptionally easy for me back in the day (but that I feel like I've forgotten all of it), but I was incredibly, really quite horrifically bad with Geometry/Trig

2. I can't learn by watching, my brain will shut off - I have to physically do the math.

3. I'm not very familiar with math terminology, I just remember being handed problems and algorithms, not learning why they worked. (Does this mean that proof-based math would be a good fit? I have no idea!!)

If you could mention why you liked the math that would be enormously helpful. Thanks guys!

Edited for clarity

Art of Problem Solving may fit your criteria:

It teaches through problem solving, not watching, and it teaches the concepts and the whys.

AoPS is a discovery based math program designed for students who are good at, and like, math. It goes beyond the scope of more traditional programs and has more challenging problems. The practice problems are all somewhat different so that the student has to think about how to apply the concept and can not simply use a memorized algorithm.

I am a bit puzzled by your description that you were great in algebra but horrible at trig. I get the being good at algebra/being bad at geometry part, since that has a lot to do with spatial skills - but trigonometry does not really rely on spatial visualization to the degree that geometry does and in turn requires a lot of algebraic thinking... hm. Anyway, check out the AoPS website and see what you think.

I can explain it better I think, but my thoughts about how good or bad I was is pretty much all based on how I did on standardized testing and just feeling lost.

In 6-9th grade I loved math, it was really easy. But a lot of that was because I'd been in honors math for years and was bumped down in 7th because I just stopped doing schoolwork (my parents got divorced).

I remember doing really well on the Algebra Regents (98 or 99%) and looking forward to Geometry the next year. I got to geometry in 10th and spent the next three years with the same teacher - he "taught" Geometry, Trig, and Pre-Calc. Basically he taught by handing us the exam that we would be taking at the end of the year and then having us fill it in in class, completing everything that we didn't get to at home at the end of the week and then grading it. I was completely lost. I just felt so dumb because I just couldn't understand how to do the problems. The next monday he would hand us the answers and we would self grade and he'd hand us another booklet to fill out. If someone asked a question he would draw something on the board and talk for a bit, but his explanations never really made sense.

Recently, while teaching my own children, I've started to wonder if I'm not "bad" at upperlevel math (ie Geometry, Trig and Calc) - which is what I thought for the last 20 or so years, but that but I simply couldn't learn it with his teaching style? I also had a lot of trouble in AP Physics too, because I had a lot of holes in my math education, I could memorize the forumlas and stick in the variables, but I think that I lacked a conceptual understanding of WHY it worked.

Am I making more sense?

PS - I do feel sort of silly - because I'd bought BA for DD1, but it never occured to me to use their upperlevel stuff for myself :D lol

I am in your shoes too. I am going back to college after getting my B.S. in 1985. Some of the classes I will need require a math pre-requisite which I've had but don't remember a thing. According to my transcript, I had three math classes back then. Who knew? *g*. I am taking the summer to review so I can skip the remedial stuff and just take one that 'counts' even though I had it so long ago. Math was never easy for me at all. I am going through pre-algebra atm. The Khan Academy website has a lot in this area. I'm also working my way through Kiss My Math by Danica McKellar and it's been great. Granted, it's geared for teen girls, but it's funny and entertaining and she explains some things in ways I only wish my previous math teachers/professors had done. I'm actually enjoying it and that's saying a LOT for someone who's always considered math a four letter word. I'll end up re-using this with the girls when they get to pre-algebra. She's also done books on basic math, geometry and algebra as well.

The Khan Academy videos are a great add in. There are also quite a few quiz type sites online. Spark Notes has a great pre-algebra quiz to test yourself. A few:

http://www.sparknotes.com/math/prealgebra/review/quiz.html

http://www.glencoe.c...uiz/index.php4/

http://www.technolog...re-algebra.html

http://www.algebrahelp.com/

http://www.kutasoftw...om/freeipa.html

http://www.math.com/...PreAlgebra.html

I think it can be quite difficult to separate your own sense of your strengths and weaknesses - as you remember them to be from so long ago - from the quality of instruction and/or learning experience that you did or did not have.

FWIW, for re-education, AoPS would definitely be my program of choice - no question about it. It speaks to how I think in a way that no other text I've seen does. Indeed, I need to do a bit of re-education myself, when I get around to it... I don't think my score was quite that high on the Algebra 1 Regents (I took it in 8th, a scandal unto itself at my school - too bad I had already tuned out of math by then). I did ok on the geometry too but I had a horrible teacher (hired by my school right after having been fired from another one) and my friend and I taught ourselves the course the weekend before the Regents exam. Ah, memories... Anyway, I've now been through AoPS Prealgebra twice. I can't believe the stuff I didn't know and I really think I never learned it - probably I just wasn't paying attention, because my prealgebra teacher was the best math teacher I had. (I did very well on SAT math; it must have been magic because it would have been so much easier had I understood a few basic things :glare:)

You have NO IDEA whether you are bad at upper level math or not simply because this terrible, terrible teacher has messed you over so bad! I'm surprised that anyone learned anything with that kind of "teaching", and I would strongly suspect that if they did, it was mostly because they had a parent or tutor who understood it.

AOPS may work for you -- you may discover that you are far better at math than you have thought. I would suggest starting out with Alcumus because you can check it out for free.

Thanks for all of those links Peach!! I'll spend time this afternoon checking them out :) I hate to say it, but I tend to fall asleep trying to learn things with the Khan Academy videos. I try really hard to listen, but I just can't stay on track - I think that it might just be the man's voice, because I really enjoy the Vi Hart videos. Does the sleepy man do all of the videos or just the starter ones?

I took the AoPS post-test for the Algebra and pre-algebra books and I think that I might actually start in pre-algebra to give myself something to feel good about / get used to the teaching style. I got the answers on the post-test, but I didn't feel "comfortable" -- I felt like I was guessing a lot, or that I could get things right, but I wasn't confident about it. If either of those descriptions make sense.

PS - going to check out the alcumens now Kiana. I didn't realise what it was or that it was free. I think that I need to spend more time on their site :)

What work for me was to do a quick read theough the public school textbooks available in the library just to familiarise myself with the California syllabus. My library has copies of Larson, Glencoe, Lials and Holt. Now i am reading the AoPS books ahead of my boys. My library has AoPS books up to precalc too.

My boys love to ask Why so AoPS textbooks are useful that way.

I got to geometry in 10th and spent the next three years with the same teacher - he "taught" Geometry, Trig, and Pre-Calc. Basically he taught by handing us the exam that we would be taking at the end of the year and then having us fill it in in class, completing everything that we didn't get to at home at the end of the week and then grading it. I was completely lost. I just felt so dumb because I just couldn't understand how to do the problems. The next monday he would hand us the answers and we would self grade and he'd hand us another booklet to fill out. If someone asked a question he would draw something on the board and talk for a bit, but his explanations never really made sense.

Recently, while teaching my own children, I've started to wonder if I'm not "bad" at upperlevel math (ie Geometry, Trig and Calc) - which is what I thought for the last 20 or so years, but that but I simply couldn't learn it with his teaching style?

That is not even a "teaching style". He did not teach. No wonder you did not learn.

I suggest you approach the whole math education as if you had never taken geometry and above. Because, you really did not receive instruction. So, you are not "bad" at it - you simply did not really have the subject.

That is not even a "teaching style". He did not teach. No wonder you did not learn.

I suggest you approach the whole math education as if you had never taken geometry and above. Because, you really did not receive instruction. So, you are not "bad" at it - you simply did not really have the subject.

Will AoPS still work for me then or do you think that something less challenging would be a better fit for the "first time through"?

Will AoPS still work for me then or do you think that something less challenging would be a better fit for the first time through?

I wouldn't buy anything all the way through precalc now, unless of course you see books for 50 cents at goodwill or something. I would get pre-algebra, and see how you like it. The good thing is that AOPS is sufficiently ahead in scope and sequence that you can change at any point really without leaving gaps.

Remember that you HAD the mathematical talent as a child, and that you have the mental maturity which so many high school students lack.

Will AoPS still work for me then or do you think that something less challenging would be a better fit for the "first time through"?

Look, the books are written TO students who had no prior exposure to the subject whatsoever. You mention you were great at math through algebra - so go for it. Take it one book at a time. See how it goes. If you had the mathematical talent and were just poorly taught, you may find that these work very well for you. You can always switch if geo does not work out, but first try and have fun with the algebra book ;-)

Let us know how it goes. It's funny, all my life, math made me want to tear out my hair but it's going far better this time through. And thanks for the mentions of AoPS and Alcumus. Going to check them out as well. I have to agree with your view on the man's voice on Khan Academy. I've been using it mostly to fill in things that came before this pre-alg book...like reviewing fractions. Keep us posted on how it's going. I am still absolutely amazed that I am enjoying math. Granted, it's 'easy' math but still, it's math..LOL!~

THIS! YES! What a horrible teacher. Schools are full of them, but I'd never read about one who used that "teaching style". There are teachers who know the material, but cannot teach it; and there are teachers who do not know the material. The ones who understand the material and know how to explain it to others are teachers.

I'm also working my way through Kiss My Math by Danica McKellar and it's been great. Granted, it's geared for teen girls, but it's funny and entertaining and she explains some things in ways I only wish my previous math teachers/professors had done. I'm actually enjoying it and that's saying a LOT for someone who's always considered math a four letter word. I'll end up re-using this with the girls when they get to pre-algebra. She's also done books on basic math, geometry and algebra as well.

:iagree:

I absolutely LOVE all of Danica McKellar's books! She explains things in a way that my dd (and I) can remember them. That is the problem I had with Algebra way back when, I just could not remember the steps to do the problem, or even worse, when to use which steps. Danica does an incredible job of this and she makes it fun at the same time.

I am in the same boat as you. I did well in Alg 1, did EXCELLENT in geometry and failed trig (twice).

I need review for everything now (so I can help DD12). I have AOPS pre alg with my DD12 and we are using it slowly along side TT pre alg. I like them both. For next year we are doing Lials alg 1 and AOPS together again. I really like this combo--- we have the "get 'er done" stuff AND the higher conceptual math.