Menu

Skin Care - I need your tips!

Just Kate

I am in my mid (almost late!) thirties and I think I need to start taking better care of my skin. I still get acne occasionally (those nice cystic pimples) and I am starting to notice the wrinkles (just barely). Can you give me some tips on how to care for my skin? Products, websites, whatever. :)

Thanks!

I truly love the way that Creme de la Mer (the Ultrarich Creme) makes my skin look and feel. It is definitely on the pricy side, but oh my goodness it's like magic in a pot! I tried it on the recommendation of my dermatologist, and the fine lines around my eyes are now non-existent, dark circles have disappeared and I haven't had any of the little hormonal acne that used to pop up each month.

You can get it direct from the company, but both Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus carry it and I can typically find a promo code to use to bring down the price a little bit.

Clarasonic works great for removing the daily build up, leaving your skin soft and smooth. I also wouldn't leave the house without sunscreen. It's amazing how much the sun can really impact your skin.

I started using Retin-a recently. You need a prescription. It has changed my skin. For the first time in 15 years, I feel fine without foundation. You do have to be vigilant about the sun.

It is not cheap, but retin-a is so effective that I am saving money by not buying other products. I just use a basic moisturizer and sunscreen.

Dr. Dennis Gross makes some Alpha Beta two part peel pad things, they are expensive, especially if you use them every day, but I use them once or twice a week, so a pack of 30 lasts quite a while....they are worth every single penny! Nothing makes my skin look softer, smoother, and clears up zits better.

Amazon often has good deals on them.

I also love Avalon organics Lavender serum from whole foods, amazing gently hydrating serum without leaving that lotion slime like so many I have tried.

I am a loyal Paula's Choice fan. I started using it at around 34-35 years old and I haven't had a bout of acne since before that. The key for me? *Exfoliating* with a beta hydroxy gel or lotion. I used a bottle of the 1% (there is a 2% as well, but 1% worked for me) that lasted me over a year because you only need a little and I only use it once a day. I just love her products and they are fragrance free, which is great for me and my sensitive skin/allergy-prone daughters!

You can order a couple samples of each product you want to try before you buy. :)

It's a struggle for me too.

I have oily and sensitive skin. I have been using Estee Lauder's Perfectly Clean gel cleanser. It has tiny microbeads in it that help exfoliate. I have been using it about a week, and so far, so good! It's pricey, but a little seems to go a long way. It has taken away some dry skin areas around my mouth that looked bad with makeup.

I'm looking for a moisturizer that doesn't break me out, haven't found one yet.

I have tried a Clarisonic, as well as an off-brand. I cannot use those. They irritate my skin too much and I break out. I gave it a very long try, because I wanted it to work in the worst way. But Sephora gave me a refund with no problems.

The website acne dot org has been a big help, there are forums and so many sections for specific help.

I find the best things for my skin are the things I make myself. I wash my face with honey. Once a week I mix in a teaspoon or so of baking soda to exfoliate. I have had friends who said it did not work for them but you have to use the honey at least once a day for 2 weeks to see if it is truly working. Even better if you leave it on your skin for 5-10 minutes.

I'm 41 and up until last year, I was getting those cystic pimples once a month too. Taking 50mg of zinc every day completely eliminated that problem (I've been doing that for about 6 months now and no longer get any breakouts).

I have to use all-natural products on my face (anything with synthetic ingredients makes my eyes water). For daytime, I use 100% pure organic jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is a key ingredient in many skin care products and it's been wonderful for my skin. I've noticed a reduction in fine wrinkles and my skin has become very smooth since I started using it. It also gives my skin a really nice glow and is great under make-up. Unlike many other oils, it does not cause breakouts for most people (based on reviews I've read). I buy a 4 oz. bottle for around $11 at my health food store and it lasts me about 4-6 weeks. For nighttime, I use Derma-e's Age-Defying Night Creme. It contains Astaxanthin and Pycnogenol which are both very powerful antioxidants. I started using it after the jojoba oil, so it's difficult to split out improvements from one product over the other, but I feel like it's helping as well. :)

I love it when we chat about this stuff.

I live and die by my Clarisonic. I use the Dr Dennis Gross pads too. And then once every two weeks or so, I use the Brazilian peel ampules I get from Sephora.

I'm a huge adcovate for topical Vitamin C. I use the Korress rose masque with vitamin C and I add the Turbo C booster poweder from Philosophy. The vitamin C stuff gives me the glow. The Clarisonic and the alpha and beta hydroxy acids kill the fine lines.

I want to try Creme de la Mer stuff but I've read too many mixed reviews on it. I tend to hang out and pour over the reviews on stuff from Sephora and beauty blogs.

I treat myself to a little order from Sephora or Lush every month. It's my reward for all the crud jobs I do. :)

This month I am trying Ole Hendrikson's pair of youth activating oil and truth serum that came highly recommended on Sephora and Korres pomegranate toner.

I'm a beauty junkie which makes my DH laugh because I'm a teeshirt and jeans kinda gal.