Menu

I need quick crock pot meals!

mommyx4

I just had my fourth child 2 weeks ago and my husband will begin traveling again next week. I could really use some easy, one pot crockpot meals that are nutritious, but quick to throw together. I'd love if it was a complete meal in a pot, but will still be grateful for some easy ones with easy sides.

What does your family eat or not eat now. (Are your vegetarians, meat eaters or food allergies etc.?)

I like the cookbooks from Fix it and Forget It for crock-pot meals. They're pretty simple, fast and for moms with no time. Lots of libraries carry them.

Here are some of my favorites:

Crazy Slow Cooker Pork Chops

Crock Pot Cheese Tortellini

Chicken Ranch Tacos (I adapted this recipe for the crockpot using some of the comments. Use a packet of taco seasoning, a packet of dry ranch, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, and frozen chicken breasts in crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.)

Garlic Pesto Chicken with Tomato Cream Sauce

Slow Cooker Rosemary Roast and Potatoes

Our new favorite is skinless boneless chicken, a jar of salsa and packet of taco seasoning mixed with some water, 6-8 hrs later shred chicken, add a can of drained and rinsed black beans, heat through. Serve over rice or tortillas, top with cheese or sour cream. Make extra for lunch the next day.

From Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly

Zucchini-Vegetable Pot

1/2 lb ground turkey

2 cups zucchini, diced

2 ribs celery, chopped

1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

2 large tomatoes, chopped

1/4 cup rice uncooked

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic salt 1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/4 black pepper

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Brown turkey in skillet. Place vegetables in slow cooker, top with rice and ground turkey. Sprinkle seasoning over top. Cover and cook 3-4 hours

Southwestern Chicken

2 cans of corn drained or use frozen

15 0z can of drained and rinsed black beans

16 oz jar of chunky salsa

6 boneless skinless chicken breast in halves

1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Combine corn, black beans and 1/2 cup of salsa in slow cooker. Top with chicken and pour remaining salsa over chicken. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours. Sprinkle with cheese and allow to melt before serving.

(This can be served over rice or with rice thrown in.)

German Pot Roast

2 lbs boneless, lean pork roast

1 tsp garlic salt

4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced

2 medium onions, sliced

1/2 tsp dried oregano

14 ox can low sodium tomatoes

Place pork roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 7-8

BBQ Veggie Joes

1 cup dried lentils, rinsed

2 cups water

1 1/2 cups celery chopped

1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped

1 cup onions, chopped

3/4 cup ketchup

2 tbs dark brown sugar

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tbs cider vinegar.

In sauce pan cook lentils in water. Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients (Except vinegar) in crock pot, add lentils and mix well. Cook 8-10 hours or until lentils are soft. Add vinegar just before serving. Allow 1/2 cup filling for each sandwich.

Disclaimer...I don't really eat meat, but the guys do here and I almost never actually follow a recipe. I've used the above recipes, but tweaked or substituted them to fit what I had on hand at the time.

Depending on the size of crock pot and the chicken you buy, this is a keeper. Sometimes I coat the chicken in jarred pesto, and then put more herbs on top of the vegetables. I buy the largest chicken I can. After dinner I shred the remaining chicken and chop any vegetables that are left over. Then I start the crock in the morning with broth, dried onions, garlic, barley, and more vegetables for lunch soup. Throw in the leftover chicken and vegetables about 30 minutes before serving. My local grocery store has a frozen "vegetables for soup" mix that I keep on hand.

http://www.themother...and-vegetables/

You might consider another cooking time saver if you can get to the library. Check out books on once a week cooking. They're filled with great ideas like...Cook a big roast on the weekend and then eat different meals off it during the week.

Day 1 roast

day 2 shredded bbq sandwiches

day 3 meat over rice

day 4 stir fry

day 5 beef stew or soup

My boys used to love: boneless,skinless chicken breast strips thrown in the crockpot with catalina salad dressing. When that's nearly cooked all the way through, throw some rice, and enough water to cook the rice, into the crockpot. They called it "Pink chicken". I made it a lot one of the years my husband spent in Korea.

Layered Crockpot steak and baked potatoes dinner:

Inexpensive steaks, seasoned how you like it. Put about 1/2 cup beef broth in the bottom. Wash potatoes and wrap individually in aluminum foil. Wrap small (can be still frozen) corn cobs in foil, each with a pat of butter. Put the potatoes and corn on top of the steaks. Cook 4-5 hours on low. If you want, make some rolls when you are ready to eat. Might even be a good one for when your dh is coming home and you want to welcome him with a good meal.