Menu

Travel Meal Ideas

queenie

We are going to Williamsburg for a week and we plan on eating out once or twice but the rest of the time we will make our meals. We are staying at a condo so we will have a full kitchen but will be packing lunches and snacks to take out and about with us. Does anybody have travel go to snacks and lunch ideas? Thanks!

We did something similar at Disneyland. We drove there with a cooler full frozen meals like you'd make at those assemble & freeze places. The night before we'd take something out to thaw and the next afternoon when we got back to the condo (exhausted) we'd throw it in the oven and by the time everyone took a refreshing dip in the pool and changed dinner would be ready. For packable lunches the favorite was filled breadsticks:

This is the recipe/ method we used

Filled Bread Sticks

from Real Food for Real People website

(This recipe is for Bread Makers, but any good bread dough may be used)

Dough:

1 cup water

2 Tblsp. Margarine, softened

1 egg

3-1/4 cups Flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. salt

3 tsp. regular or quick acting dry yeast

Place all dough ingredients in bread pan in the order listed. Select SWEET dough cycle. Grease cookie sheet, and divide finished dough into 12 equal pieces. Work each piece into a rectangle about 2-1/2 to 3 inched wide by 4-1/2 to 7 inches long. Place desired filling along center of dough, leaving room on ends for closing. Fold dough over and pinch sides and ends closed. Place on cookie sheet, seam side down. Cover & let rise about 20 minutes. Bake in 350* F. oven for 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with vegetable oil if desired. May be served hot or cold.

Filling:

Choose from the following fillings, or be creative and make up your own!

1. Thin sliced ham & cheese of your choice, rolled up

2. String cheese (Mozzarella is a nice low fat cheese) with turkey pepperoni

3. Shredded pork roast OR shredded cooked chicken or turkey, mixed with barbecue sauce.

The BBQ chicken ones are fantastic.

My kids also liked to assemble wraps before we left the condo.

HTH,

Amber in SJ

Soft rolls or croissants

Cheese chunks or string cheese

Fruit, (esp. grapes, cherry tomatoes)

Hard boiled eggs

Cookies or granola bars

When we took a 2 week trip to Philly, D.C., and Williamsburg, this was our go-to take-along food. No preparation or utensils needed and very little clean-up and trash.

Hummus w/ good bread or pita chips

Apple slices with peanut butter

Fruit

Cheese

Cream cheese

Pistachios

Refillable water bottles

Yogurt

Applesauce

Chocolate chips

Oatmeal raisin cookies

Banana chocolate chip walnut muffins

Small ziploc each of pretzels, m&m's, peanuts, raisins (GORP)

• 1 month later...

Fritz and sauce sandwiches.

When my neice and nephew were little they called these 'bush sandwiches' because no bush roadtrips occured without them.

(Fritz is a very regional sandwich meat.)

Last big road trip I did with dd, we regularly bought a 1/2 cooked chook and 2 big green salad bags for no fuss road-trip meals. Works well as roll-ups with flat bread too.

Maybe pack some icebricks/bags to pack with your daily lunches.

Eggs/ Hard boiled eggs

Cheese and/ or cheese sticks

Nut butter with bread or good crackers

Pasta

Lettuce and other items for salad ( garbanzo beans, avo, feta, olives etc)

Hummus and veggies

Apples, bananas and other fav fruits

Waffles

Sparkling water

Cooked chicken

Frozen burritos ( we like Amy's)

Shrimp ( easy to cook quickly)

Yogurt

'Baby' carrots

Nuts, pumpkin & sunflower seeds etc

Good tortilla chips with cheese, salsa, can or two of black beans for the microwave

Avocados

Turkey or beef dogs with buns

Milk & cereal if your family eats it

Ice cream or ice cream treats from the market. If you want to be decadent and not healthy, chocolate chip cookies and a tub of vanilla ice cream is much cheaper than eating ice cream in tourist areas

Popcorn

Our go-to travel sandwich is an everything bagel with cream cheese and a slice of ham. They are filling and travel well in backpacks.

That sounds good. My boys like cream cheese and slices of sandwich pepperoni. One of our travel/hotel dinners has always been a bag of frozen meatballs and a jar of cheap spaghetti sauce in the crockpot (I almost always travel with the crockpot, it takes up very little space and it's very handy) eaten on hotdog buns with a sprinkle of mozz. cheese. I'll also pick up a big cheese/cracker/meat tray at someplace like Sam's Club, it's less expensive than eating out and because I don't normally buy something like that it seems like a "treat".

Depends on the weather and what you have access to. :) Around here, lunches would be something like a heavy salad (lots of veggies, dates, and apples) with cheese and precooked chicken strips on the side and a small container of dressing. Throw it all together when you get there and life is good. :) Even better with flatbread and hummus thrown in the bag, too.

We also like Lunchable type meals or doing a pasta salad for the main and lots of fruit and yogurt - especially if you can get the Organic Valley Gogurts. Man, I miss those! You could also make a seven layer dip and serve with chips, like cold nachos.

Course, if the weather there is anything like here you may want to bring a thermos full of soup!