Menu

End of the year realities...

One dc masters his multiplication facts a year early and aces his test, but cries the whole time that he can't do it....older sister just flunked basic understanding of area and perimeter (which, sarcastically speaking, seems to be the WHOLE point of MUS Gamma). It is with great humility that this year comes to a close.

How do you veteran teachers keep your chin up and encouraged to go forward?

Well it helps that there is never an "end of the year" period of time in my thinking. It's always an ongoing thing. Stuff is mastered/learned at various times in the year at various speeds.

I think I am having an emotional moment over wanting the year to come to an end....because I have such a strong urge to keep the year going and going and going.

How do you keep positive?

Also, FWIW, do you feel like they mastered the material? Your dd may have just been having a bad day or maybe had test fright. I wouldn't let one test on a particular day determine what she has or has not mastered. ;)

Mandy

No, this particular dc has not mastered the material. She can, it just takes longer, requiring fortitude and courage on both our parts.

Was there an also here in Australia thread that I missed? :)

My kids seem to have a knack for saying stupid $#*+ that has me questioning whether they are retaining ANYTHING. Yesterday it was my 10 y.o. claiming she did not know how many feet were in a yard.

But there are other times when they'll spout out something that makes me go, "whoa! Where did they learn THAT?"

Oh and another thing I do. If there is a particular concept that the kids keep forgetting, I have them make a poster displaying the information and I hang it up where they are looking at it a lot. So, for example, if your child keeps forgetting area and perimeter, have her make a poster showing how it is done and hang it up. It'll sink in.

This is so funny, dd10 was working on a LOF bridge and had forgotten - AGAIN - the formula for area and perimeter of a circle. So I had her make a poster and hang it on her bulletin board - *right* in front of her nose. I figure that either it will finally sink in, or at least I can wordlessly point to it next time she forgets, because I dont think I can *say* it again. At least not in my nice, inside voice.

I just treat schooling my kids as a crazy roller coaster ride. Sometimes I just hand on tight, sometimes I just go on autopilot. My younger can do "harder" math but cannot tell time (reading analog clocks fast and calculating time duration). This year he was better at telling time (duration) without us revising, kind of those weird maturity thing.

No, this particular dc has not mastered the material. She can, it just takes longer, requiring fortitude and courage on both our parts.

Was there an also here in Australia thread that I missed? :)

lol I was referring to Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. If you knew that she had not mastered the material, then the test just confirmed what you already knew, so no worries. IOW the test, in this instance, provided no useful information. You know she can and will master the material, but just hasn't gotten there yet.

Mandy

Well, I totally am on the "don't take it personally" bandwagon....

Yesterday doing math that was review with my Special Needs DD:

2-2=5

60-9=70

and I could go on and on.... but suffice it to say, I'm thinking that jumping into MM2A was a bit more advanced for a review than maybe I should have done. Maybe MUS Primer???

:banghead:

BUT, it is her - and she seriously thought that these were correct - insisting on it all while building it with her MUS blocks, only to see she was wrong.

(this is totally why GWG will work for her! :laugh: )

How do you veteran teachers keep your chin up and encouraged to go forward?

Because if we didn't keep going forward, I'd never get to the end of the school books! Mastery, schmatery. Sometimes I just want to get the end of the book so I can close it and move on! The thought of ending keeps me trudging onward through the muck.

Plus...Standardized tests, which we take next month. If they manage to stay at or near the same percentile as the previous year, then I know that they've made a years worth of progress in academics.

My kids seem to store their knowlege in their brains like they store their clothes in their closets, drawers and under their beds. They might not always be able to find what I want them to find quickly, but I know it's in there somewhere!

Well, I'm digesting less that average test scores after three years (1st time testing!) so I know what it's like to feel that 1.) I've done a terrible job and 2.)these kids don't know anything after all my hard work! I've been on that see-saw a lot this week.

What I am trying to do for now is to nibble the deficiencies while making a steady diet of the accomplishments. That seems to help.