Menu

Subaru owners

NotSoObvious

We have a 2006 Tribeca with 115,000 miles on it. It needed new tires and we are getting ready for our huge cross country summer road trip. We have never had much work done on it. Over the last two years, I've noticed it running a little rougher- nothing huge, but it definitely is feeling "older."

My husband took it to the very trusted mechanic and told him to go to town on it. We want it to be safe for our trip.

The mechanic called a few hours later and said he couldn't find anything wrong with it and that it looks like it's in excellent shape! Yay! The dealership had told us the same thing about a year ago.

So, for those of you who drive Subarus, how many miles do your cars have?? Have you had to do any major work on it? I just keep feeling like major stuff is coming, but I don't know what!

Do you notice a difference in the way your cars drive as they get older? Is that normal?

My first car was a 1991 Subaru Loyale. I bought it used with 70K miles and when I finally sold it, it had well over 200K miles on it and still ran great! I still see it on the road occasionally too! (Edit: the only work I did to it was normal maintenance and replacement of belts/seals/filters/etc)

Since then, we have had two others; a 2003 Impreza Outback Sport and a 2005 Impreza WRX. The outback had about 80K on it before it was totaled in a freeway accident in 05'. It never had any issues during its life, even as my heavy commuter car. However, it definitely did not "feel new" near the end. I do remember it sounding rougher as time went on and riding a bit rougher too (suspension wearing? maybe alignment too?). That said, it never really affected its gas mileage/smog/timing etc). I will say this though...that car saved my life. I was stopped in freeway traffic when I was rear-ended by a van going 55+ mph. The car frame took all the impact and design of the frame around the gas tank prevented it from being punctured/causing a fire during the crash. I walked away with just fractured ribs from the seat belt and the police officer was still able to drive the car off the road to get it towed. How cool is that?

The WRX still feels brand new. It only has 30K miles on it though and my husband handles it with kid gloves, so that may be why.

My parents owned a 2001 Legacy Wagon which did have major transmission problems later in its life. This may have been my dad's fault though. I won't elaborate, lol. They replaced it with a 2007 Forester and that car is still running great with no major issues (but does ride rough now that its older)

Anyway, I think Subarus are great cars. We have had great track record with them. I just wish they would hurry up and put out a hybrid/electric model!

My mom has an 2003 Outback (I think it's an 03) and she loves it. It has well of 100,000 miles on it and the only things she's had to have done is new tires (quite often because she uses it to deliver newspapers in it daily) and a hose for the radiator because it had a leak.

I had an 05 Forrester and if we all fit in it I'd still have that vehicle. I loved my Subaru, but we just couldn't fit 3 kids in carseats in the back seat. I wish they made something along the lines of my Expedition. If they did I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I can say that once my kids are grown I'll definitely be buying a subaru again.

I had a 2002 Outback and it needed very little major work. I traded it in for a Pruis last year because I needed to be able to drive afford-ably. The payment on the Pruis is covered by the difference in what I spend on gas. But the Outback was a great car in the respect that is just did not need much major work other than brakes.

Did you know they are Australian? I always wondered why they had names like "Outback" and then the other day we were driving and DH said something about Subaru being Australian and I had this incredible aha moment......the names, the stars on the dealership sign which looked suspiciously Australian flag-like, etc. Yes, it was an aha moment. Of course, dh had a good laugh at my expense :glare:

So, that really had nothing to do with your post but it reminded me of my wonderful "aha" moment :laugh:

2002 Forester here. We''ve done brakes. I replaced something in the steering column. (I'm in a mid afternoon memory lapse, it did cost around $600). I just drove 1500 miles for our spring break week. The only funky thIng is I have to be careful how the doors are locked or the alarm will go off when I unlock the car (driver door always locked last).

I had a 1980 Subaru for years and years. It had a couple of things go bad over the years. In 1987 it had the alternator (I think) go out, and the mechanics kept trying to fix it by replacing the battery....when they finally got around to actually changing the alternator it was great again. I also had a tie-rod end go out in 1990, but I can't even remember how many miles we had put on the car by then. It was my step-dad's car, new off the lot, in 1980. He drove it tons! (He was a sales rep. at the time.) I drove it in high school when he was home. My parents gave me the car in 1987, and I gave it to my step-daughter in 1996. She tried to kill it, but I saw it around town after she sold it.

Loved my Subaru....and intend to have another soon!

Did you know they are Australian? I always wondered why they had names like "Outback" and then the other day we were driving and DH said something about Subaru being Australian and I had this incredible aha moment......the names, the stars on the dealership sign which looked suspiciously Australian flag-like, etc. Yes, it was an aha moment. Of course, dh had a good laugh at my expense :glare:

So, that really had nothing to do with your post but it reminded me of my wonderful "aha" moment :laugh:

From all the research I've done, they are not from Australia. Subaru was founded in Japan. The name Subaru is the Japanese name for thePleiades star cluster, thus the logo. They do have manufacturing plants in many nations though.

We bought our son a 2004 Outback when he got his license. He had it four months before he called us early one morning. He had hit a deer in his way to school. The car was totaled, but he believes it saved it life. He even write about the accident for his college admission essay. He was applying for automotive engineering. We bought another Outback for him, he named it Lenny, and we all love it. It's 2002, but it's our 'good' car.

I've been driving Subaru since my first Loyalle in the late 80's or early 90's. From then it's been Outback and Foresters for both my wife and I. Our cars get driven very little. Currenlty we have a 2004 Outback Wagon with 90k and a 2008 Forester with 40k. Outback had 1 major issue needing a head gasket replacement. Forester has had nothing major to date.

We intend on replacing the Outback next year with a Forester. I just find the Forester more comfortable to drive.

Your DH put one over on you. Not Aussie. And the stars on the flag are the southern cross, doesn't look like the Subaru stars at all. They just thought Outback would be a cool name for a car. :D Your DH is still laughing at your expense! ;)