Menu

First Communion Question...also first post

ailysh

Hello! This is the first post that I've made on here. I have a question about Catholic first communion. We have some dear friends whose children (triplets and a sibling) I used to babysit (for seven years until I had children of my own). They have invited us to join them for dinner with extended friends and family following the triplets' first communion. We are not catholic and have never been to a first communion party. My question is, is it appropriate or customary for party-goers to bring a gift? If so, would a children's Bible or devotional be appropriate? Any suggestions? Would any one do, or should it explicitly say "Catholic"? Obviously I'm not totally clear on different church doctrines. Thanks so much in advance!

Alyssa

A children's Bible would be fine, but it should be a Catholic children's Bible. If you are getting it from Amazon you can easily find a Catholic Bible. If there are lots of people invited, you may want to give them something else in case they get a Bible from a family member.

It is customary to give a small gift. The gift is usually not very expensive, but that can vary.

Another customary gift is a rosary.

But if you know the kids have something they like, you can give them something that isn't religious. My sister gave my DD Garfield comics.

Thanks for the responses! Sadly I waited too long to get something from amazon, so it is a trip to the real-life store for us tonight, if for nothing else than a card to put the cash in. I'm on the fence about that. Honestly, what eight-year-old wouldn't prefer cash over a gift? On the other hand, it doesn't seem very personal. Thanks again!

There is probably a Catholic store somewhere within driving distance if you are in the big city.

Sometimes it is hard getting a gift for a religious event. There are only so many rosaries a kid can use. It can be easier to find something for girls because you can always go with religious themed jewelery such as cross earrings or a necklace with a crucifix pendent.

But money is always good.

I'm not Catholic, but I know what I would do I'm this case. Both have already been mentione: Catholic shop or money. Another idea at a Catholic shop might be a medallion of a Saint they are named after (boys wear these also). In fact, the Catholic shops (online and irl) arewhere my sister and my dh have acquired medallions for family gifts between us few.

Generally the "Catholic stuff" (bible, rosary, special memento) comes from close relatives. Everyone else usually gives money. Which, thinking back to my own first communion many years ago, I was THRILLED to get, because it was the first time I had significant money of ANY kind. And eventually I spent some of it on my first ever purchase of something for myself, while saving the rest as my "nest egg" until I reached my babysitting years and was able to earn my own money. Even among my own relatives I tend to give money unless I am in a special position like the Godparent or something. (My MIL was thrilled to be "the one" who got to get my boys their very own First Communion Bible)

I agree that I wouldn't get something specifically Catholic or religious, if you're not Catholic or a relative. I'd give them each a small monetary gift in a card, or each of them a book they might enjoy or something along those lines.

I was raised Catholic and have attended many a first communion in my day. :)