Menu

Math/Science choices for a senior

Ds will be a senior next year. He is looking ahead to a computer type college route. He is happy to be done with math and science and not even take a class for either one next year. I am not sure about this. What do you all think?? This is his history in math/science:

8th: Physical Science and Alg 1

9th:Biology and Alg 2

10th:Chemistry and Geometry

11th:Astronomy and Pre Calc

Thank you to anyone willing to give advice to a first time high school mom.

A computer science major, right? Then, sorry he needs to take calculus. Maybe another science but you could drop in a programming class. For some schools his record is too weak to gain admittance as it stands now. It might be best to go ahead and do physics.

What do you mean computer type college route?

If you mean computer science, math is required for computer science degrees and taking a year off math is a bad idea. They almost always require discrete math and at least applied calculus, often statistics and engineering calculus and sometimes linear algebra.

It will not look at all good for college admissions to see someone who has obviously 'checked out' in math and science and yet wants to major in a STEM field. If he were majoring in art history it might be different.

I agree with the other posters. If you son is headed for a computer science degree, he is going to need to take a lot of higher level math courses in colleges. I would try to have your son double-up in math his senior year and take both calculus and a discrete math class.

I would also have your son take physics next year because the schools that I have looked at for my middle son, who is also interested in CS, require a course in physics and chemistry in college.

Ok, I just looked at their course catalog.

Not sure which program you mean, but --

Associates in electronics and computer technology - basic algebra and applied physics.

Bachelors in:

Computer engineering technology -- precalc, calc 1-2, college physics 1-2

Computer information systems -- college algebra, statistics

Electronics engineering technology -- precalc, calc 1-2, college physics 1-2

Network and communications management -- college algebra, statistics

If he's looking at the associates, he can probably stop now.

If he's looking at one of the bachelor's that requires only algebra and statistics, what I'd strongly recommend instead is trying to take the college algebra and statistics online his senior year. Then he'd be REALLY done and not trying to get back into math in college after a year off.

I think I would have him take the ACT and have him start in whatever math he places into as dual enrollment. That way he can go ahead and get his math for college taken care of before he forgets any of what he has had. For science, I would suggest either Conceptual Physics (light, preparatory, and interesting) or something related to computers (which I know nothing about!).

Ok, I just looked at their course catalog.

Not sure which program you mean, but --

Associates in electronics and computer technology - basic algebra and applied physics.

Bachelors in:

Computer engineering technology -- precalc, calc 1-2, college physics 1-2

Computer information systems -- college algebra, statistics

Electronics engineering technology -- precalc, calc 1-2, college physics 1-2

Network and communications management -- college algebra, statistics

If he's looking at the associates, he can probably stop now.

If he's looking at one of the bachelor's that requires only algebra and statistics, what I'd strongly recommend instead is trying to take the college algebra and statistics online his senior year. Then he'd be REALLY done and not trying to get back into math in college after a year off.

I *think* he is considering IT. So, the bachelor's Comp Info Systems w a focus in Security. I had not really considered having him take the online classes, but it's a good idea. We have not met with the school yet but plan to very soon.

I feel like he should be doing some of this research, but he has little motivation. He is high anxiety and his dad(my first husband)was just deployed to Afganistan and he is preoccupied with that.

I think I would have him take the ACT and have him start in whatever math he places into as dual enrollment. That way he can go ahead and get his math for college taken care of before he forgets any of what he has had. For science, I would suggest either Conceptual Physics (light, preparatory, and interesting) or something related to computers (which I know nothing about!).

Thanks for suggesting Conceptual Physics. I really appreciate the suggestions.

He needs to continue with math and science if he's headed into comp sci. If he hates those so much, why is he looking at that as a major?

As an example, my comp sci headed kid is taking two programming classes, physics and calc at the uni as a senior.

We know a few people with the degree he is seeking and they don't use calculus everyday.lol. He knows he may have to deal with a couple semesters of classes he hates to get the degree he wants.

In our area, very few homeschooled kids take college classes. The universities don't expect it.

I *think* he is considering IT. So, the bachelor's Comp Info Systems w a focus in Security. I had not really considered having him take the online classes, but it's a good idea. We have not met with the school yet but plan to very soon.

I feel like he should be doing some of this research, but he has little motivation. He is high anxiety and his dad(my first husband)was just deployed to Afganistan and he is preoccupied with that.

I would also ask the school's advice.

I would second the other people's recommendation of conceptual physics.

Since he is NOT wanting a STEM degree then your best bet would be to speak the Devry rep (and possibly the rep of a similar institute like ITT tech if you have other options near you). If by some chance he would need another math then he should go ahead and take it next fall instead of waiting.

I'll second the Conceptual Physics-- it will have some application in his degree field.

Also check out some community colleges and other 'tech schools'-- they may have some programs that will help your son reach his goals.

Let me warn you. My husband has a degree in IT from ITT Tech. Because it is a private school he now has over $100,000 in debt. Even at the lowest "income sensitive" payment plan, or the interest only plan, it is over $500 a month in payments. The debt is crippling. And no bankruptcy or whatever will ever get rid of it. It is there FOREVER. And the jobs you get with that degree do NOT pay enough to pay off the debt. They just don't. He's working his way up, but now, years later, we are only starting to be able to make the payments. It keeps him up at night. He would give ANYTHING to go back in time and get a cheaper degree at a public school. OH, and none of the Universities accept the classes/degree from ITT, so to get additional degrees he had to start from scratch. So now he has a BS from ITT, but had to start as a freshman at community college to try to get additional certifications to make more money. This is a BAD investment. Encourage him to look at other options, that are cheaper. Many many many community colleges now now IT certificate programs that are much cheaper.

Let me warn you. My husband has a degree in IT from ITT Tech. Because it is a private school he now has over $100,000 in debt. Even at the lowest "income sensitive" payment plan, or the interest only plan, it is over $500 a month in payments. The debt is crippling. And no bankruptcy or whatever will ever get rid of it. It is there FOREVER. And the jobs you get with that degree do NOT pay enough to pay off the debt. They just don't. He's working his way up, but now, years later, we are only starting to be able to make the payments. It keeps him up at night. He would give ANYTHING to go back in time and get a cheaper degree at a public school. OH, and none of the Universities accept the classes/degree from ITT, so to get additional degrees he had to start from scratch. So now he has a BS from ITT, but had to start as a freshman at community college to try to get additional certifications to make more money. This is a BAD investment. Encourage him to look at other options, that are cheaper. Many many many community colleges now now IT certificate programs that are much cheaper.

Oh, Katie. Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It is something I will talk to ds about!

Since he is NOT wanting a STEM degree then your best bet would be to speak the Devry rep (and possibly the rep of a similar institute like ITT tech if you have other options near you). If by some chance he would need another math then he should go ahead and take it next fall instead of waiting.

I'll second the Conceptual Physics-- it will have some application in his degree field.

Also check out some community colleges and other 'tech schools'-- they may have some programs that will help your son reach his goals.

Thank you. I will check into local schools. We have Purdue and Indiana U extensions near us.

Sorry. No, he is NOT considering a Computer Science degree.(too much math and science-he hates it) He is considering a computer appl./tech degree at DeVry.

I would check with DeVry as far as what would be ideal for preparation. I would think algebra or conceptual physics at the minimum would be very helpful. Maybe he could do a course or two in basic computers/programming/applications. How about a consumer math course or accounting/bookkeeping. Might be helpful if he should decide in the future to start his own business.

ETA definitely check with your community college for degree offerings. Not only would it be cheaper, but he'd end up with an actual college degree.