Menu

Help me find canned coconut milk

Ann.without.an.e

The kind that is only coconut and water (and absolutely no other ingredients). I am looking for the type where you open the can and it is not homogenized, but instead you have thick cream on the top and "water" in the bottom of the can. The brand I usually buy has been out of stock for weeks and I use it for everything. I need it bad :( Can anyone point me to a brand name that is like the above description?

We love our coconut milk here. I only use three brands, all are just coconut and water:

Aroy-D - This has by far the best taste and texture (well, in our opinion). It has a nice smooth, creamy, and sweet coconut taste and comes in a tetrapak type container. It also tends to be the most expensive usually due to shipping costs.

Native Forest - Good flavor, not as sweet and smooth as the Aroy-D but still really nice. The price for organic is pretty good but I don't think the cans are BPA free.

Natural Value - This is a nice coconut milk in a can that is BPA free. It has the highest coconut oil content that I've seen in any coconut milk. Flavor is okay, but the texture is a little more grainy than the other two.

We love our coconut milk here. I only use three brands, all are just coconut and water:

Aroy-D - This has by far the best taste and texture (well, in our opinion). It has a nice smooth, creamy, and sweet coconut taste and comes in a tetrapak type container. It also tends to be the most expensive usually due to shipping costs.

Native Forest - Good flavor, not as sweet and smooth as the Aroy-D but still really nice. The price for organic is pretty good but I don't think the cans are BPA free.

Natural Value - This is a nice coconut milk in a can that is BPA free. It has the highest coconut oil content that I've seen in any coconut milk. Flavor is okay, but the texture is a little more grainy than the other two.

I think you might be describing what is sometimes call cream of coconut or coconut butter. Just be care not to get stuff called that in the drinks aisle - as that has tons of sugar and is intended for pina coladas :) I get mine at the local Indian store (they called it coconut butter). It's very, very thick.

Everytime I go to TJ's ( it is a once a month trip for me) they are completely out of coconut milk so I have no idea what it is like? I would love to try it! Once they had the light but that is not what I am looking for. Thanks for the recommendations though, I will keep looking for it and hope to find it there soon.

Did you use Golden Star from Walmart? If so, it appears that at least some outside grocery stores are carrying it now (Safeway and affiliates and Food4Less are two I saw mentioned).

Yes, that is what I was using. I am not even a W.Mart shopper. I would pop in there every few months and just really stock up on it. They have replaced it with something full of ingredients and they don't even carry it online :( So sad. We are not in a Safeway area.

I just made my own coconut milk this week. Unsweetened, dried coconut flakes + hot water + time = coconut milk. :) And, if you let it set in the fridge, the coconut oil will flow to the top and harden and you can pluck it right out if you need some. The coconut flakes can be strained and stirred into oatmeal. Nothing wasted, easily available, affordable, and no BPA lined cans.

A bag of unsweetened coconut at my grocery store is about $1.39.

Here is a random how-to link, although you can find several via google on your own, I'm sure.