Menu

Is HOD complicated?

HeartatHome

Hi,

I've been looking at all the HOD threads lately as I'm leaning towards that direction for my daughter who is in K but I'm finding that many mamas that love HOD jump ship after a couple of years.

I love the Bible integration and just the over all style/feel of the curriculum and would like to stay with them long term. I know, I know things don't always work out the way we plan :laugh: but would still love to hear from some HOD mamas out there.

Does HOD have a high burn out rate? Has anyone stuck with it long term? Are your days long? There seems so much there I'm a bit concerned it may take all day. Then again, I'm not a box checker so maybe I'd be ok with eliminating things should I need to.

Although, HOD is suppose to be open and go and all planned out but at the same time it sounds complicated. (difficult to combine various ages or even close in age, skills don't match with guides, running multiple guides,running 2 guides with one child using one side and another guide for the other side, etc...) . Makes me second guess my plan and perhaps I should go with MFW instead.

Is it really that complicated? Does it have to be? It looks so simple but in practice is it? I guess I'm confused. :confused1:

I don't know if my questions make sense. I know I'm probably over thinking! I also understand I won't know until I try but just curious from those who use or have used HOD.

Thanks

I'm using the preparing guide this year with a 5th, 3rd, and tag-along K, and it is very simple and sweet. I love it. However, I haven't used any of the previous guides and don't plan to use any others in the future, so I'm no help when it comes to burnout.

I like that there is only one activity per week, stretched out over several days, spelled out step-by-step, and that I have the materials!

I don't use the math or LA, but we do the poetry study and I love it. We sometimes do the Bible, but usually skip it, as we are using ECC's Bible. We don't use the science or the extension pack.

I intend to use it again with my youngest when he's in third or fourth grade.

I used HoD for three years with one student. I don't think HoD is complicated when used as written with one or two students. When moms try to combine kids that aren't well-suited to a guide, or they use different parts of different guides, or try to run several guides at once, it can get complicated. I do think HoD works best with one- or two-student families.

I also think HoD tends to have a higher burn-out rate. That is not to say it isn't a wonderful program. It is just multi-faceted, and though the days are not long when students are properly placed, there is a lot of gear-shifting throughout the day. It's funny, I remember asking the same question about burnout rate when I began, because I could not find anyone who had used it long term! (There are a few on the HoD forums, BTW.)

I think HoD is a beautiful program for those who want some time dedicated to history or Charlotte Mason language arts. But many of us end up moving on to something else.

ETA: I used Bigger, CTC, and RTR.

Well I have been using HOD for 3 years now and I still love it. I have no plans of switching to anything else. It isn't complicated for me, but yes running three guides does take quite a bit of my time. No matter what curriculum I chose I would spend a lot of time teaching 4 kids. ;)

It's a great program for a number of reasons, and I have multiple friends who have used it long term with no plans to stop. We used it for 3 years and ended up switching because we wanted to combine for history and science, and also branch out and try some new resources. We may use HOD the year after next for medieval, and will definitely draw from their booklists.

I am loving HOD :) We have only used it one year, but I can see myself using it long term. With that being said I only have 2 kids. This year we combined, but next year I am separating them into separate guides. For us HOD has been the opposite of complicated. We are having so much fun! The beauty of HOD is that while the early years may be teacher intensive (but shouldn't they be anyway)the guides really do teach independence so that you can focus on younger children. I have yet to see what running 2 guides will be like, but I'm pretty confident I can do it :) There are moms running 4, so surely I can hang right?

How many children do you have?

Monarch room, thanks so much! that helps!

Another reason for picking HOD is because I work out of my home so I really do need something easy to implement and planned out for me but then I was reading all these threads and started to wonder!

I have 2 girlies at the moment (hoping for more though!) I have a 4 year gab between them so I don't need to worrying about combining yet. I also figure by the time my younger one is in 1st grade my oldest will be in 5th and could work indpendently half the time which is another reason I like HOD. I would naturally move her to independence with or without HOD just because of my time constraint but it's nice that the program is already set-up that way to help me do that.

Checked out your blog, Your kiddos look like they are having alot of fun with the program! Makes me excited to start :laugh:

We are HOD quitters. :leaving: I used it for several years, but it got to be too much. My DC are closer in age, and that was a big factor. I also felt like we had to complete every box, so our 3Rs were often pushed aside which really bothered me. My DC loved the program and I found it very easy to teach when we were just using one level. The booklist is also amazing...I still go there for book ideas. I am currently using their preschool program with my youngest and I have gotten better about skipping some of the boxes. :lol:

I don't think it's at all complicated (unless you are teaching several guides).

I think you will do great, and really enjoy HOD with the age span you have :) The only time it seems to get complicated is when there are a bunch of little kids all really close in age. I would probably do something else if that were the case for my family.

I have not used HOD, but I've thought about it very seriously several times. The above is exactly why we don't use it. I have 6 children. My oldest is 7, finishing 1st, and my youngest is 6 months. My kids are 2 years apart (2 sets of twins) and wouldn't be able to be combined very well. At some point, I would definitely be running at least 3 guides, probably 4. I just don't want to do it. It's too much work and I don't have enough time in the day. So, we use MFW and I really love it.

OP, I think in your situation you would be fine doing HOD and eventually using 2 guides.

Well I guess I'm not in the majority here, but we use HOD and I have 5 kids very close in age. My oldest is 7 and my youngest is 9months. We LOVE it. :laugh: Yes, it can get a bit intimidating with trying to do 3 guides at once, but they really don't take up that much time once you get a schedule down and going..IMO. I looked into MFW, my SIL uses it, and it takes her longer to do school work with her 2 school-aged kids than I do with my 3. The preschool guide takes me 20min tops a day, and the 1st grade guide takes about an hour and a half. My second grader takes the longest with 2.5hrs (all those times do overlap at points). We do our own science and combine there, and with the art/music, I just have everyone join in. What takes the most time for us is the individualized math and LA. That you'll have to do with any program. I love the fact that it's divided up into segmented boxes so that if I don't get to something, oh well, we'll do it later. My kids love the fact that they can "cross off" each box as they complete it. Now, I can't say what it will be like once all my kids are school-aged, but I know that the guides get more independent as they get older. We definitely plan on continuing for the long haul. :)

Well I guess I'm not in the majority here, but we use HOD and I have 5 kids very close in age. My oldest is 7 and my youngest is 9months. We LOVE it. :laugh: Yes, it can get a bit intimidating with trying to do 3 guides at once, but they really don't take up that much time once you get a schedule down and going..IMO. I looked into MFW, my SIL uses it, and it takes her longer to do school work with her 2 school-aged kids than I do with my 3. The preschool guide takes me 20min tops a day, and the 1st grade guide takes about an hour and a half. My second grader takes the longest with 2.5hrs (all those times do overlap at points). We do our own science and combine there, and with the art/music, I just have everyone join in. What takes the most time for us is the individualized math and LA. That you'll have to do with any program. I love the fact that it's divided up into segmented boxes so that if I don't get to something, oh well, we'll do it later. My kids love the fact that they can "cross off" each box as they complete it. Now, I can't say what it will be like once all my kids are school-aged, but I know that the guides get more independent as they get older. We definitely plan on continuing for the long haul. :)

Well I'm just impressed :) I'm glad to know it can be done with that many. If I feel sorry for myself for running 2 guides, I'll remember you!

Does HOD have a high burn out rate? Has anyone stuck with it long term?

I'm going to take a stab at this, just because I was pricing this out just for the fun of it. I about fell off the couch when I realized how much money this would cost us in the next few years, once we reach the upper grades. That *may* be one of the reasons people leave. The program is wonderful, and I love the book selection, but when you are going to get that many resources, it does start to add up.

I'm going to take a stab at this, just because I was pricing this out just for the fun of it. I about fell off the couch when I realized how much money this would cost us in the next few years, once we reach the upper grades. That *may* be one of the reasons people leave. The program is wonderful, and I love the book selection, but when you are going to get that many resources, it does start to add up.

I do have to say I have sticker shock over the new high school guide. I think the high school guide may possibly be the most expensive program out there now. I think it may even be more than Sonlight. Sigh....

I don't find HOD complicated at all . . . in fact, my days run much smoother now than when I was running MFW and trying to combine many ages.

I was hesitating to comment because I don't have the long-term years under my belt yet. We began HOD in 2011-2012 and ran Preparing, Bigger and LHFHG. Best year homeschooling ever.

We continued this year running Creation to Christ, Finished Bigger/Began Preparing, Beyond and I'm now just beginning LHFHG with my 5 yods.

Next year's plans are Res to Ref., Finishing Preparing/Beginning Creation to Christ, Finish Beyond/Begin Bigger and finish LHFHG and move into Beyond.

I asked my kids before I left for our convention if they were tired of the guides and wanted me to look around a bit and they all had horrified expressions on their faces at the very thought - LOL!

Our days run smoothly and the kids are learning at their own levels. I do make my own choices for LA and Math and I do tweak the guides a bit because I have at least one kid that is able to be a bit more independent earlier than the guides indicate.

The cost is a consideration but with my larger brood I have the advantage of being able to divide that cost among more kids. Also, I think the resale value is pretty high on the guides and resources (at least the last time I checked).

The cost is a consideration but with my larger brood I have the advantage of being able to divide that cost among more kids. Also, I think the resale value is pretty high on the guides and resources (at least the last time I checked).

This is how I justify the cost too, but the HS guide is really, really expensive. I hope I can afford it because I'm sure it will be awesome! I do feel that the resale is (fortunately) very high as well :)

This is how I justify the cost too, but the HS guide is really, really expensive. I hope I can afford it because I'm sure it will be awesome! I do feel that the resale is (fortunately) very high as well :)

I haven't seen the price for that yet - dare I ask?

I haven't seen the price for that yet - dare I ask?

The estimates are coming in around 1200-1300 bucks! I'm totally not a cheapskate when it comes to buying books. When MtMM came out I got nervous, but this may even be over the top for this irresponsible homeschool book hoarder :)

The estimates are coming in around 1200-1300 bucks! I'm totally not a cheapskate when it comes to buying books. When MtMM came out I got nervous, but this may even be over the top for this irresponsible homeschool book hoarder :)

:svengo:

Is this for only one level???

Elise in NC

I figure private school would be far more expensive and I would imagine that even in public school, with associated costs, it could well be that much over the year. What I do is buy packages from each guide and therefore spread the cost over two orders rather than one big order, but I do buy in the year before I need it, not right when I need it. And the other thing is it is a far better education than I know they would receive in school. Just the preparation for adulthood is immense. Mind you, I do have four children going through each guide, but I'm not going to onsell as I want to keep all the reading books etc for my grandchildren, God willing.

So maybe I'm just a totally irresponsible book hoarder. :lol:

I was curious, so I went and added it all up. You can see what it would cost you... :) I don't think it is that bad, honestly, considering it could be a high school course. High School textbooks are expensive!

Economy Package $363 or $410 w/ President Study

Science $186

Basic Package $125

Writing $30

English $50

DITHOR 7/8th books $88

DITHOR Manual that you may already have $60

DITHOR Student Workbook that you may already have $34

DITHOR Optional book list, that you may already have $5

High School Extension if you need it - $177

Items From Rev to Rev that you may already have if you did the past year- $32

Math - around $145

$1000-1500 for high school Geography. (But that price includes ALL subjects.) http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13589&sid=c8f4b104a95d6aad05157bca0977beee

Price is relative. That's high compared to some, and pretty average compared to others.

And I've found that high school costs more in general, regardless of the curriculum. It is *really* hard to keep costs down at this level. :glare: My oldest didn't get to start all of her 11th grade stuff until October of this year because we couldn't afford to buy everything she needed prior to that. I had to buy in pieces, and I even went cheap on a couple of subjects by putting it together myself. (She is not using HOD, btw, so this has nothing to do with HOD in particular. Just high school costs, period.)

I think I just want to stay in elementary-land forever. :)

My husband and I had a talk over dinner and I think after this year, we'll probably start buying in chunks, like Molly mentioned.

I guess the bummer for me is that I'm only dividing these costs over two kids, and I have a boy and a girl, so lots of times (and I see more as they get older) I'll be buying some separate books for each of them. But, the bottom line is that this is where God has me now. I will have to trust Him to provide for the future or lead us elsewhere with peace. :)

I'll join that irresponsible book hoarder club...I love pretty books. :001_wub:

And I've found that high school costs more in general, regardless of the curriculum. It is *really* hard to keep costs down at this level. :glare: My oldest didn't get to start all of her 11th grade stuff until October of this year because we couldn't afford to buy everything she needed prior to that. I had to buy in pieces, and I even went cheap on a couple of subjects by putting it together myself. (She is not using HOD, btw, so this has nothing to do with HOD in particular. Just high school costs, period.)

I'm sure this is all true. This year I plan to make small Rainbow Resource orders per month since they still have the $50 free shipping. I think this was the first year that cost way too much because I made the mistake of buying all of Preparing, and decided on not using it now for a few years. With all that being said, I won't tell you how much I spent on kindergarten and all the math manipulatives I just had to have! Inconsistencies abound :p

I'll join that irresponsible book hoarder club...I love pretty books. :001_wub:

Yes! I am not alone in this world :)

Hmmm. I'm really liking an all out together program idea. After a quick glance at their programs. It looks like preparing or the bigger hearts levels would be good. I have most of the books. I already have the phonics, cursive and math.

Do you really need drawn into the heart of reading ?

Wow. Having an extensive home library pays off.

I'm eye balling Bigger Hearts costs for me.

Econo pkg $94 (I don't own any of those listings)

3 of the science books I don't own $40

I prefer to use our current math and language arts.

I have ohh I think about 80%+ of the extended reading recs and literature sets. (Of which 2 in the classic option I wouldn't own as a RC. But for a Protestant program to only have 2 books I wouldn't use? That's really awesome. )

So for $134 I'd basically have everything I needed planned out and ready to go? That's a pretty good deal to me. If I can find it used in great condition? Even better.

Granted newbies might not have as extensive a home library as I do after 12 years of home schooling, but it's also a testament to the value of building one. Especially for a large family. Or just a good excuse. ;)

Dern. I really don't "need" this. But now I sure do sorta want it. Dratted curriculum addiction.

Preparing is a harder fit for me as a RC.

The econo pkg would require I replace 2 of the books. Maybe 3. Leaving just the guide bc I already own CHOW.

Guide $67

I own all the science except the dinosaur book, which I might not want anyways. $0

So far that's 4 core books I wouldn't use. Not sure how big that is over all though.

I have nearly all the history books from basic thru deluxe or can easily replace with a suitable alternative. Only 2 books here might be of concern as a RC. Not sure. $0

Book packs level 1 - I own most. I wouldn't want The Secret School bc I can't stand Avi. $0

Book pack level 2 - I own most.

Could sub with others I own. $0

So this level would take more tweaking. Not sure how big a PITA that would be not having done it before. But the cost would also be less. Just the guide. $67

It doesn't look like burn out to me. Looks like a great relief from planning and putting my own thing together.

I agree that a person should stick to the grade range it suggests. Personally I think The Great for All Kids in the Family Integrated Together and Planned Out Curriculum is a myth and a hoax.

Teaching multiple levels is just a lot of work no matter what and the idea that it's going to be done with only a few hours a day of moms time is simply unreasonable IMO.

It doesn't look like burn out to me. Looks like a great relief from planning and putting my own thing together.

I agree that a person should stick to the grade range it suggests. Personally I think The Great for All Kids in the Family Integrated Together and Planned Out Curriculum is a myth and a hoax.

Teaching multiple levels is just a lot of work no matter what and the idea that it's going to be done with only a few hours a day of moms time is simply unreasonable IMO.

Unreasonable for some, perhaps, but not for others. Please don't make a blanket statement like that when there are clearly many, many families successfully schooling in that "unreasonable" way. :)

When all three of my girls were elementary age, we absolutely LOVED The Great for All Kids in the Family Integrated Together and Planned Out Curriculum method. There are many benefits to it. In fact, it took me a long time to figure out how NOT to do things that way. I think I'm finally getting it now (just started Preparing with youngest and loving it so far), but I really think it's what you're used to, your teaching style, family dynamics, etc. that makes a difference one way or the other.

I can state my opinion, hence the use of the terms, "personally" and "IMO".

Wrt to this specific program, it's my opinion that I agree with the provider than stretching those materials much further down or up the age scale would be a stretch. I'm sure someone somewhere can and will. I just agree with the provider about it being better and likely easier to consider another level instead.

Doesn't mean anyone can't disagree with me. :)

I can state my opinion, hence the use of the terms, "personally" and "IMO".

Wrt to this specific program, it's my opinion that I agree with the provider than stretching those materials much further down or up the age scale would be a stretch. I'm sure someone somewhere can and will. I just agree with the provider about it being better and likely easier to consider another level instead.

Doesn't mean anyone can't disagree with me. :)

Actually I do agree with you when talking specifically about this curriculum. I thought you meant family-integrated schooling *in general*. Sorry about that. No, HOD wasn't designed for family-integrated schooling. :)

I was planning on cutting costs as needed by using the library, does no one do that? (or is there a flaw in that plan that I hadn't thought of?) Or by buying used books.

But, I am also only running one guide (LHFHG) so I don't know how it will work long term in our house. I do have to say that at the moment I am enjoying it enough that I would be bummed if it got too complicated when my kids get older!

I'm only in Beyond right now, but goodness, our days are short. The things that take the longest are the things each child would work according to their level anyway! Math, English, etc...

The history lessons are short and sweet, but are wonderful! The reading portion... my son is using the emerging readers to build him up a love for reading (though he's way past them, he doesn't LOVE to read for pleasure, however he is LOVING the emerging readers). Anyway, he reads independently and then I ask/discuss just a few questions with him, again, short lessons, definitely more CM style of learning!

I did originally feel like HOD seemed complicated, but I don't believe it is. I too just cannot grasp the whole combing thing, so we will be using separate guides for all 3 of my children as the years go on, be it we stick with HOD. I own LHTH through Preparing, so we better stick with it!! LOL. Who said curriculum hoarder?! How did I land myself this way?!

With that said, I think eventually every child will need to work at their own level in every subject at some point. These lessons are planned, you do nothing, but maybe glance over the lesson to know what is in front of you for the day, but it's not bad. I wish I had started HOD from the get go!

I was planning on cutting costs as needed by using the library, does no one do that? (or is there a flaw in that plan that I hadn't thought of?) Or by buying used books.

I've used PreK, Little Hearts, Beyond and plan to start Preparing in August. (I also collected the books for Bigger but didn't use the guide.) My library system has few of the basic required books, or if they do, they have one copy that I couldn't guarantee getting at the right time. Many of the story time books are there, but not all. I've also needed a book longer and not been able to renew it. :( So I choose to buy what I can used and fill out the rest from HOD or RR.

My library had almost all of the science books for Bigger. I don't think that I had to buy any of them except the biographies.

I definitely use the library for all of the storytime and DITHOR books. I don't buy any of those.

Looking ahead to Preparing the library system here has a lot of those science books as well. And of course the storytime and DITHOR books.

Do you need the dithor guide? Or just the reading list in the hod plans?

Well, if you actually do DITHOR then you need the guide and the corresponding student workbook, but DITHOR didn't work us so I still have my daughter read the books in the book pack but we don't necessarily do anything with them. They are just really good books and she's enjoyed them all.

We use and LOVE HOD! This is our 3rd guide.

ETA: I've found everything used for Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger and now Preparing (except Young Christian's). If I find a great deal on a book used in future guides I buy it. I color code all my books according to guide, so they stay grouped together. :)

We use and LOVE HOD! This is our 3rd guide.

ETA: I've found everything used for Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger and now Preparing (except Young Christian's). If I find a great deal on a book used in future guides I buy it. I color code all my books according to guide, so they stay grouped together. :)

ha! That's what I did for Five in a Row too!