Menu

Disney foodies - help again!!

StaceyinLA

I'm making ADRs for our October trip. We are doing some different meals this time (some just for atmosphere even though I know the food doesn't get good reviews), but I'm stumped on a couple.

What we have right now:

Chef Mickey breakfast (not my first pick, but the group wants to go to this one)

Sci-Fi lunch (non-negotiable because dd and her dh both want to go for the atmosphere)

O'Hana dinner (worth it, or could we choose something better?)

Le Cellier dinner (no questions on this one - we have never been and we are going)

Raglan Road pub dinner (this one is questionable - I've seen some crummy reviews - better option?)

Mama Melrose (also not negotiable because of Fantasmic, even though I've seen not so great reviews)

We also have the potential to do Coral Reef with his family, but I haven't seen great reviews for that either.

I guess what I need to know is whether or not I could do better than Raglan Road for 1 TS at DTD (or if we should do a sit-down at one of the resorts that evening instead), or whether we should just do the Coral Reef with his family that evening instead of Raglan or any other place.

I also want to know if O'Hana is a good choice (I've read the food isn't great and the meat is often dry/overcooked), or if we should pick something different in the MK area that evening or possibly go to a better restaurant at one of the resorts. What about something like the character dinner at the GF? Is the food there really crummy?

Let me just add that I am quite disappointed we are using two TS credits to eat at HS restaurants because I KNOW there are many better places, but I'm kinda stuck with that. I just want to do better in the other areas if at all possible.

Thanks!

Do you read the dining reviews at wdwinfo/dis boards?

I would agree that most of the ones you've listed that you are worried about have had bad reviews, but you can always find complaints, KWIM?

What about Be Our Guest for something in the MK area? It's a long shot but it'd be awesome if you got it!

I'm making ADRs for our October trip. We are doing some different meals this time (some just for atmosphere even though I know the food doesn't get good reviews), but I'm stumped on a couple.

What we have right now:

Chef Mickey breakfast (not my first pick, but the group wants to go to this one)

Sci-Fi lunch (non-negotiable because dd and her dh both want to go for the atmosphere)

O'Hana dinner (worth it, or could we choose something better?)

Le Cellier dinner (no questions on this one - we have never been and we are going)

Raglan Road pub dinner (this one is questionable - I've seen some crummy reviews - better option?)

Mama Melrose (also not negotiable because of Fantasmic, even though I've seen not so great reviews)

We also have the potential to do Coral Reef with his family, but I haven't seen great reviews for that either.

I guess what I need to know is whether or not I could do better than Raglan Road for 1 TS at DTD (or if we should do a sit-down at one of the resorts that evening instead), or whether we should just do the Coral Reef with his family that evening instead of Raglan or any other place.

I also want to know if O'Hana is a good choice (I've read the food isn't great and the meat is often dry/overcooked), or if we should pick something different in the MK area that evening or possibly go to a better restaurant at one of the resorts. What about something like the character dinner at the GF? Is the food there really crummy?

Let me just add that I am quite disappointed we are using two TS credits to eat at HS restaurants because I KNOW there are many better places, but I'm kinda stuck with that. I just want to do better in the other areas if at all possible.

Thanks!

We LOVE O'hana!!! We prefer to sit where we can watch them cooking the meat - ask about that. We also like a window seat. We always found the food to be great! There is SO much more than just meat. And, my dd loves the coconut races!

You definitely can't go wrong with Le Cellier. Obviously, get the filet!!! Yum. Chocolate Mousse for dessert is amazing too!

We've always really enjoyed Coral Reef. But, we've always managed to get a seat by the aquarium. The divers come down and "talk" to you and write you notes. We once ate there and a turtle came down and slept there all through dinner. He'd go up for air and come right back down to us. We felt so special! My dh isn't as impressed with the food, but I found it fine. I remember my teens ordering an 18 ounce steak there and eating the entire thing. Silly boys!

Mama Melrose is two credits? Ugh. Yea. I'd not waste 2 credits on that. You can still get good seats for Fantasmic. That time of year is slow anyway. If you can convince your travel companions to go somewhere else, do!!! I can't remember - can you take a boat over to Wilderness Lodge from HS? We always have a blast at Whispering Canyon. There's enough variety in the foods that everyone is happy.

I've not been to the other places.

'Ohana is a FABULOUS choice. Seriously, one of my very favorite places to eat at WDW.

Coral Reef has suffered some over the past few years in the quality department, but you can't beat the atmosphere. I have a shellfish allergy, so I've never eaten the seafood, but the "landlubber" entrees have always been good to me.

Sci-Fi is good if you stick with the drive-in type food. Burgers, shakes, etc. We've always enjoyed eating there.

If you're looking for something yummy at the resorts...Artist's Point (2 TS credits) in Wilderness Lodge is wonderful! My dh and I like to go there for a romantic dinner. Here's their menu: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=15#menu

I LOVE the character dinner at 1900 Park Fare in the GF. The stepsisters are TO DIE for funny. I think it's one of the best character meals in the park. The food is typical Disney buffet food. I like it better than Chef Mickey's. The strawberry soup is really good. Here's their menu: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=28#menu

Hope that helps.

And yes, when my youngest is grown and gone...I'm going to become a Disney vacation planner!!! :D

O'Hana Dinner is, hands down the best meal we've had at Disney our last two trips. I wish we had started going there a decade ago. Our last trip we even got to watch te fireworks from the restaurant. They pipe in th music. It was spectacular.

'Ive never been, nor do I ever plan to. Go to Reglan Road and Mama Melrose. I never understood eating crappy food just to go to Fantasmic. Just go to Fantasmic. Yes, you get priority seating, but its not worth eating at Mama Melose. IMO. My favorite (and only restaurant) I'll eat in HS is the Prime Time Cafe. Otherwise we will walk or ride the boat to the Boardwalk and eat in over there.

Mama Melrose is two credits? Ugh. Yea. I'd not waste 2 credits on that. You can still get good seats for Fantasmic. That time of year is slow anyway. If you can convince your travel companions to go somewhere else, do!!! I can't remember - can you take a boat over to Wilderness Lodge from HS? We always have a blast at Whispering Canyon. There's enough variety in the foods that everyone is happy.

You cannot take a boat from HS to MK. You can take a boat (or walk) from HS to the Boardwalk, Beach/Yacht Club and Epcot. That is what I'd do rather than eat at HS.

If you're looking for a 2 credit TS in HS, then Brown Derby would be my choice over Mama Melrose's any day of the week. We've always had a lovely meal at the Brown Derby, and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Their menu: http://www.wdwinfo.c...rant.id=85#menu

We enjoyed the Brown Derby as well. The grapefruit cake, for me, lived up to the hype.

I think Stacey means they are using 2 TS credits at HS because they are going to sci fi and mama melrose.

Ah...ok, I get it. When we go to Fantasmic, we usually get those snack trays that they sell near there (don't know if they still do it) It had several different kinds of cheese, bread, and fruit. Perfect little snack for the show.

We enjoyed the Brown Derby as well. The grapefruit cake, for me, lived up to the hype.

I love the grapefruit cake!! You can usually get a slice of it at Starring Rolls, near the Brown Derby, if you don't want to go to the expense of a Brown Derby meal for it.

Mama Melrose is not two credits, but we will be using 2 TS credits on HS restaurants because of Sci-Fi.

I did consider WC. I don't love their food, but dsil would probably like it.

Thanks for the input. I might see about dropping our Raglan Road and doing the 1900 Park Fare dinner instead.

Since we are already doing Le Cellier, I don't want another 2 TS meal.

The main reason we are doing Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic is because it's a group dinner with dsil's family. It is the last evening there, and it'll be months before they see him and dd (and their kiddos) after that. I just feel like we need to make that sacrifice. They have a steak on the menu that looks ok, and, as long as it is cooked decently, you can go horribly wrong with a steak. I've just resigned myself to that.

We LOVE Boma, but dd isn't sure if her dh will enjoy it, so we are skipping it this trip. It makes me a little sad. I'm glad to hear about O'Hana though!

What are some of the better items you've eaten at Sci-Fi, and if you've ever had anything decent at Mama Melrose, what was it?

Okay, so here is what I have now, and I'm putting my itinerary so yall can give me good recs for counter meals. I really want to branch out and try some new places this time.

Saturday evening we arrive and will have a counter meal at AofA food court

Sunday we have early Chef Mickey breakfast then to HS for rope drop, late lunch at Sci-Fi - back to room to let kiddos rest then MK around 7 to sit for MSEP (will eat sundaes or QS food while sitting on curb)

Monday we will be at MK for rope drop. Our plan is to either have late breakfast (Nutella waffles), or a snack then late lunch at Be Our Guest - possibly go rest if kids need to then O'Hana at 6:50.

Tuesday is AK for rope drop, lunch at FTBBQ, leave AK in afternoon for rest then Epcot for some World Showcase and dinner at Le Cellier then watch Illuminations

Wednesday we sleep in (dd and dsil may hit a park for some early rides) then head to DTD for a while. Lunch at Cookes of Dublin OR Earl of Sandwich, then rest and dinner at 1900 Park Fare at 7:00.

Thursday is Epcot for rope drop and hit Future World then do World Showcase for a few hours. Have counter lunch somewhere in park. Back to room to rest and get kids dressed for party. Head to MK for Halloween party at 7. We will have to eat a second counter meal either at AofA food court or somewhere in MK before party starts.

Friday is AK or MK for rope drop (whichever is our preference at that point). I'm thinking we will just have a very early lunch or some kind of hefty snack as a late breakfast in park. We have to head to HS for 3 to meet up with crew for that ridiculous 3:30 "dinner" at Mama Melrose w/Fantasmic seating. We will probably just head back to the hotel after Fantasmic and have a snack/QS meal around 8 or 9 at food court.

Saturday we have to head out. :-(

So? Any more suggestions??

ETA: We aren't normally park-hoppers, especially with little kiddos. However, dsil's family had a travel agent that has them going into the most crowded parks nearly every day of the trip. Since we are meeting them for some meals, we are doing the least crowded parks in the mornings then resting with the kids, and park hopping just to meet them for meals.

My SIL had a great meal at Mama Melrose in November. We have never been. I agree you have little to worry about with crowds in Oct. I would not hesitate to see Fantasmic! w/o priority seating.

Ohana was yummy. I don't think you will be disappointed.

1900 Park Fare is so much fun!!!! My ds(13 at the time) hid at the buffet each time the sisters came by because they were looking for a husband!! SO funny! They said:"OH! A BROTHER!" Drusilla yelled back at out 10 mo old ds from across the room when he was fussing. It was so funny~! The food was just ok. Our least favorite buffet. The fun made up for it!

Whispering Canyons was our least favorite by far ever at Disney. Not sure if it was an off day. The food was greasy. No fun at all. We asked for ketchup and she just gave it to us. WAH.

Well actually, the crowd level is higher than I would have expected. Of course, we are used to going in September, and we're so spoiled to the lack of lines!

I am not really expecting the buffet at Park Fare to be that great, but I just don't think you ever really know with anything at Disney. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency.

Now if I could figure out whether a near 2 hour wait for Be Our Guest counter service would be worth it...

We like Raglan Road. Haven't been to the main part for over a year. Far better fish and chips then those nasty ones in Epcot. I also will admit that everyone normally gets that. Homesick. ;) So not much experience with the menu as a whole. The entertainment is fun too if you time things right.

NO!!! A 2 hour wait for a meal is just silly. You'll be back to Disney. The lines won't be that long. Go then.

Thank you! I think this, but just needed someone to remind me how dumb this is!

I am actually fairly pleased with our plans, and very much looking forward to the trip!!