Menu

1776 - A Good Read?

Hi Gals,

We are relatively new to homeschooling and the whole idea of using living books is new to me. I'm one of those public school kids that probably read 4 books during high school. I have always loved to read, but b/c I was never challenged, I don't think I've jumped into the classics the way that I want to teach my kids to.

So, in my quest to become a more knowledgeable, better educated person that can converse with the rest of society (among other reasons), I picked up 1776. I thought it sounded very exciting and had heard some good things about it.

I am having SUCH a HARD time getting into this book! I feel like I'm getting all the background info. but still waiting for the story to start. (But, I don't think that the story is going to start - I think that's the way the "story" is written.)

I want so badly to read quality books and I know that I need to challenge myself if I'm going to start challenging my kids. I believe Mortimer J. Adler mentions in his book ("How to Read a Book") that something that is challenging is a definite worthwhile read - we should look for books that challenge us.

Where do you draw the line between challenging and boredom? For those of you that have read 1776 - should I plow through it? Is it a worthwhile read?

Just trying to expand my mind.... :)

Well, I had the best intentions!!:001_smile:

I got the book had a hard time getting through the 1st few chapters, got the CD's from the library and sadly never finished it.

When I took the CD's back the head librarian ask me how did I like them. I had to admit I could not finish. She just laughed and said it was one of the few books she could not finish either. ;)

Well, this sure is making me feel a lot better - I should have thrown this into the original question, as well: Has anyone read John Adams? Is it different? Better?

I've not yet read 1776 because I wanted to wait until we were again studying that period in American history. I plan to read it later this school year and based on my many past experiences with McCullough, I'm looking forward to it. I so enjoy McCullough's style. The first of his books I ever read was Truman, which I thoroughly appreciated. The same is true of his John Adams biography. I think my favorite of his books, though, is Johnstown Flood; I was totally riveted by this story. All of his work has been worthwhile reading, but of course if it's not your cuppa, there are many other books out there.:)

I absolutely loved 1776, but I am an American history buff so it was right up my alley!

I also loved George Washington's War, which gave a lot of good insight into the precedents that were set and are abided by today concerning Congress and the military.

Founding Mothers, Revolutionary Wives and Dearest Friend, about Abigail Adams were also very enjoyable to me. An autobiography about John Quincy Adams is what inspired me to educate ds classically.

I enjoyed the book. I found it an interesting read and I remember it didn't take that long for me to get through, BUT everyone has different tastes when it comes to books. What one person thinks is wonderful other people can't stand. There were a lot of people on this board (after SBW's book came out) saying how absolutely wonderful Don Quixote was. I never have been able to get through it. I've tried. Many times. I just can't do it.

I finish every book I start. With the exception of this one. Couldn't do it. I'd advise stopping now and not wasting anymore time with it. Honestly, I don't recall, wait, there was one other set in the Dust Bowl. I didn't finish that one either.

I listened to the unabridged version on CD and loved it. I understand that it is difficult to get into, but the detail contained in the book/CDs was superb and one finishes with an excellent understanding of the period and the events which led to the formation of our nation.

I am not a huge history buff, but I did enjoy this book. I didn't see that you had listed your children's ages, but here is an idea: My husband and I have done family reading from even before we became parents. Being the better oral reader, I am always elected to do the reading. Since dh and ds love history, 1776 was a request of theirs for family reading. There were many times throughout the volume that we stopped to discuss what I had just read. Dh or ds (or I) saw an analogy to modern times, or it was a concept/fact not encountered before, or they saw a relationship to something else they had read/seen/heard, etc. It made the book so much more enjoyable. IF you really want to finish the book, maybe reading it together would make it easier??? And if your dh is a better oral reader than you, maybe hearing it would help???

I enjoyed 1776. However, it is a little on the dry side and I can imagine it being difficult for someone who doesn't usually read non-fiction. I think it is more dry than some of McCullough's other books. Enjoying something from a learning perspective is different than enjoying the story and writing. Right now I'm slogging through a book on the transition between the Dark Ages and the Renaissance and it's slow going. So, I feel your pain.

There were a lot of people on this board (after SBW's book came out) saying how absolutely wonderful Don Quixote was. I never have been able to get through it. I've tried. Many times. I just can't do it.

I never read Don Quixote in English, but I did decifer it in Spanish in high school. I enjoyed what I was able to translate (Spanish 4 doesn't mean you actually speak well!)