Menu

Book recommendations for tween quiet time with God?

I want to help my almost 11 year-old learn how to spend time with God, cultivating her prayer life through journaling, reading the Word, etc. I've browsed online but a lot of the books don't have samples or even reviews, so I'm hoping to get your recommendations. It's important to me that this is not a "character building" book nor a devotional book of stories, but a tool for building a personal relationship with God.

When I was young, my mom worked at a Christian bookstore and she gave me what I think was called Quiet Time Notebook by Becky Tirabassi, which I enjoyed using and it helped lay a foundation for my time alone with God, which although I haven't been totally consistent with that throughout my life, and the "format" is fluid/changing depending on the season of life, at least gave me the idea for that time and how it could be structured so that it had the potential to be rich and meaningful, developing intimacy with the Lord. Unfortunately that particular resource is no longer available - I'm going to look at Tirabassi's other works, but most of them look geared toward adults.

Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris

My three eldest loved this book and it really challenged them to live their lives differently than their friends. Bonus for me is that when they start to act like a typical teenager, I smile and quietly state "Someone is acting like an adolescent" This statement makes them stop and apologize and start again.

We actually own that book, though I haven't read it yet, but I think it would fall more under "character building." I'm looking for a book whose whole purpose (or at least a significant section) is helping kids learn how to have a structured time alone with God. Thanks, though, for trying to help me :)

I'm on my phone so can't read your siggie. The above book is geared for girls.....

I saw this one: Quiet Moments with God Devotional Journal for Teens by David C Cook

Hope one of those is helpful! I'll be looking for the same thing when my dd is older!

Power of a Praying Teen by Omartian? An idea would be to focus on one topic for a week, read one of scriptures included in that topic each day, pray through that topic daily, meditate on it and see what comes forth. Might be a resource better suited for an older teen rather than a pre-teen.

Hey, I just stumbled on this one while looking up the link for the above: 12 Months of Faith: A Devotional Journal for Teens. This has a cringe-inducing title, but the sample pages looked interesting: God's Little Devotional Book for Teens.

BEST of luck in finding what fits best with your DD! Warmest regards, Lori D.