Menu

DD and incontinence

Slipper

My youngest is 8 years old and has significant anxiety issues related to trauma. She is in weekly therapy and sees a psychiatrist monthly.

In the past week, she has wet the bed, twice. Prior to those times, she had quit wetting the bed for the past couple of years. This wouldn't be a big deal except she's terrified at night and has been sleeping with us for the past five months.

She takes medication (klonopin and celexa; but we are weaning her off klonopin so she is at half doses at the moment) so I don't think it's a medication issue.

The only thing I can think of is that we recently saw a gastroenterologist as she has fecal incontinence. (We need to rule out medical reasons, we suspect it's anxiety related). I'm wondering if we put so much focus on that part of her body that she's now having urine incontinence as well?

Any other reasons that I'm overlooking where a child might start wetting the bed suddenly? I'm not mad, but DH is not at his best in the morning, especially when awakened in this way. He went for a walk and she's in her room refusing to get out of bed she's so embarrassed. Easter morning is NOT off to a good start. :(

I'm hesitant to put her in pull-ups at night at this point because we're already dealing with a shame issue and this isn't helping.

Sorry your daughter is going through this. I know you said that she has fecal incontinence but is there any chance she is constipated at the monent. Constipation can cause urine incontinence. Don't make a big deal of it. Clean it up and move on with your day. Hope your day gets better.

Thanks. We're treating for constipation, 'just in case'. Last week she had three days of 'cleaning' out and is on a daily laxative (miralax). The fecal incontinence is better (unless she's hiding it).

Things are a bit better. DH came home more relaxed. DD is enjoying Easter and everyone seems to have calmed down.

I feel for you. My eldest DD had cronic constipation issues when she was younger, which led to accidents, even in Kindergarten. It took years to grow out of that, even with Miralax, no milk, and other get-the-bowels-moving tactics.

My youngest DD has the problem that whenever she has a growth spurt it seems her bladder is the last to grow. Even at age 8 she has accidents (mostly small), and can wet the bed if she sleeps very deeply (rare for her, but has happened once or twice). What helps there is no fluids (except a mouthful of water to rinse after brushing teeth) for a while before bed, bathroom right before hitting the hay, and a regular wake time with bathroom right away.

Stress can be a big cause of incontinence or "overcontinence" (what do you call the opposite problem?). Medication changes could have something to do with it; also consider if there are other events or concerns causing her more (or recently fresh) worry or anxiety. It could be some breakthroughs or near-to-breakthrough stuff from therapy is a factor.

What she needs most right now, which you and DH seem to be giving in spades, is patience and understanding. Your DH taking a walk was probably just the thing. Make sure you both get some breaks from the day so you can take a deep breath. She will need to hear from you both that you don't blame her and know it is not something she can control. Kids do blame themselves, even for stuff they can't help.

I don't know what such trauma can be like, so I can't empathize fully. But you have my full sympathy. I'm rooting for you all.

The constipation can definitely cause this...the intestines end up pushing on the bladder, forcing it to empty before it is actually full. Not her fault at all. Make sure you explain to her that everyone's bodies do weird things some times, and it is no big deal. Maybe tell her about a time you had an embarrassing accident? Let her know this is just something that happens to people some times, and no one cares or thinks badly about her for it.

What every one else said, plus.... you probably need to get her urine checked for a UTI. Yes, they can present without pain. Yes, they are often tied to bowel issues, stress, and holding urine too long. Certainly wouldn't hurt to push fluids extra too - that will help with the bowel stuff as well as flushing out that bladder.

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I have an older daughter prone to UTI's, I have some home test strips. I'll check using that first.

Things seem to be much better. Both DH and I were long-term bed-wetters and so was our middle daughter. Our youngest isn't chronic, but we can all sympathize with today's situation.