Menu

Need the best method for boiling eggs

mlktwins

What works best here is to bring them to boil, reduce heat and boil for 15 minutes, then set pan with hot water into the sink and let cold water flow into it to cool down the pan and eggs gradually. I often add ice cubes, too. When they've cooled for 5-10 minutes, I peel them. Eggs peel better when they are still a bit warm.

easy to peel shells is all based on age of the egg - so since we have chickens and our family pretty much eats what they make, we're forever doomed to hard to peel eggs. Oh well.

But favorite method for cooking. Put eggs in pan with cold water, set on stove on high, bring to boil, turn off heat, add lid and let set 10 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Done.

I find that peels just fine for super market eggs.

Boil the water first, then put the eggs in at full boil (one by one and carefully, of course). Boil 15 minutes. Then dump the hot water out and fill the pot with cold water. Repeat after the eggs make the cold water hot. ... If you are going to peel the eggs to use right away (as opposed to, say, coloring them for Easter), then crack the eggshells as they cool in the water.

FWIW, the oven method tends to leave brown marks on the eggs. I don't know if that matters to you.

And the method I use to "hard cook" the eggs is a little different. I put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, and then turn off the heat & leave the pot covered for 15 minutes. I don't think this method helps them peel better, but it keeps them from jostling around & cracking, which I've had problems with the other way.

A friend and I were just talking about the oven roasting method. The eggs taste good, but yes, the muffin tin rims will leave brown marks. We thought perhaps laying a kitchen towel down in a glass 9x13" pan and then setting the eggs on it might keep them from rolling and brown spots. Also, we thought setting the eggs in those soft silicon muffin forms might prevent brown spots. Neither of these methods is tried and true - still theoretical at this point!

I put them in my electric kettle. Put just enough water in to cover the eggs - too much water and the whites will come out. (I wash my eggs first.) Bring the H2O to a boil, then let the eggs sit (12-15 minutes, depends on how many eggs you are boiling). Remove eggs (I fish them out w/ tongs) and place eggs in a bowl of cold water. I find they are easier to peel if they haven't gotten cold, but just let them cool off enough to handle them. Then I put the peeled eggs in the fridge. Easy.

A friend and I were just talking about the oven roasting method. The eggs taste good, but yes, the muffin tin rims will leave brown marks. We thought perhaps laying a kitchen towel down in a glass 9x13" pan and then setting the eggs on it might keep them from rolling and brown spots. Also, we thought setting the eggs in those soft silicon muffin forms might prevent brown spots. Neither of these methods is tried and true - still theoretical at this point!

I just tried baking eggs a few weeks ago to see if I wanted to do the Easter eggs that way. After reading about the brown spots (supposedly due to contact with metal) I lined my muffin tin with silicon baking cups and put my eggs in them. They still got brown spots - though, to be fair, most of the brown washed off when the eggs were in water cooling down. I think it was sugar in the egg shell bubbling to the surface and burning.

My biggest issue was cracking. Out of a dozen eggs.... One egg pseudo exploded - huge crack, egg guts filling my muffin cup. I was very glad that mess was contained instead of directly on an oven rack like some sites mentioned. Three other eggs had significant cracks in the shells that would be aesthetically undesirable for Easter (but fine for any other time of year).

For Easter I am sticking to boiling. However, the baking method certainly has its advantages. In the future, it I want some hard "boiled" eggs for the next day I will get them situated in the muffin tin and just throw them in the oven when dinner comes out. No fuss, muss, or babysitting a big pot of boiling water.

Wendy