Menu

Would you buy this van?

happypamama

My current van needs a significant repair, and DH and I are trying to decide if it's worth it, or if we should fix it or buy something a little better. Currently, I have a 2001 Ford Windstar (yes, I know they had some serious issues; we lucked out and got the recalls fixed and have had no problems). We just put four brand-new tires on it a couple of months ago, and aside from needing some significant repair work (blown head gasket, plus several parts related to the brakes), there's no reason to suggest that it wouldn't keep running for a few more years.

But I'm looking around to see what might be available if we spend a bit more. I wouldn't normally want something that old again, but I keep hearing good things about the Toyota Siennas lasting forever. There's one near us for sale; it's a 2001 and has 88K miles (which is about half of what the Windstar has). It looks to be in good shape, but my question is: is that too old/too high mileage even for a Sienna, or would you give it a serious consideration? (I drive less than 400 miles a month, most months, if that matters.)

I would wonder if that mileage is accurate...that is really low for a car/van of that year...??

Figure average of 10,000 miles per year...for 12-13 years? I would be asking if it has a new transmission or something, maybe they reset the mileage?

Most Siennas around here that old have 150-175K miles on them.

I would wonder if that mileage is accurate...that is really low for a car/van of that year...??

Figure average of 10,000 miles per year...for 12-13 years? I would be asking if it has a new transmission or something, maybe they reset the mileage?

Most Siennas around here that old have 150-175K miles on them.

That's good to know; we could check about that. Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't average 10K miles a year; I know I don't. But that would be a good thing to ask.

If your current car is paid for, all you pay for is gas and repairs. I would drive it until it dies because you won't get anything on a trade in and you don't know if your new-to-you car won't have more troubles.

That's my concern; the current one is paid for, but the question becomes: at what point are we sinking too much money into it? I wouldn't replace it with a similar vehicle/vintage, except for the good things I've heard about Siennas and Odysseys lasting forever.

My Sienna lasted until 200,000 miles, when it needed engine repairs that were going to be a few thousand dollars. We traded it into a dealer for a few thousand dollars towards a new van instead. When we bought it it had 80,000 miles, our family is spread all over the country and we travel a lot. We didn't have any problems with it until we got close to the 200,000 mile mark, we only paid for general maintenance up until that point.

I was very impressed with the Sienna, we traded it in for a Honda which was not as expensive as the Siennas we were looking at, but I think the Sienna was nicer. Now that we have more kids we have a full size van, but the Sienna is still my favorite of all the vehicles we have owned.

There's one near us for sale; it's a 2001 and has 88K miles (which is about half of what the Windstar has). It looks to be in good shape, but my question is: is that too old/too high mileage even for a Sienna, or would you give it a serious consideration?

if it is in good shape, and you treat it well, you could probably easily go another 100k. It would be worth getting more information on. we have a tercel we bought new in 92. It has 145K miles. still runs fine and is dependable. my dh drove it for years as a commuter, now my dd drives it as a commuter. eta:we just bought a 10yo camry with 88K. a few years ago, my dd picked up a 10yo camry with 85K. I have a 13 yo van with 120K (and we've done some major driving in the van.) I've also seen 5yo cars with 150K and asking what I'd expect to pay for a car with half the mileage.

It is unusual for a vehicle that old to have that low of mileage but not impossible. My oldest ds just bought a 2000 Avenger with 68K on it, and just a few years ago I bought a 2001 Volvo XC70 with 88K. Changing the tranny on engine would not reset the odometer. However, replacing the odometer would, but that would be an unusual circumstance. Can you ask what the history of the car is? I used to be a Ford Certified Service Advisor and unless the vehicle is from the mid 80's or older, it is nearly impossible to alter the odometer. You can also ask for a CarFax, which we got with both of these older vehicles. One more thing I would suggest is to take it to a mechanic and get it checked out. We took a Tahoe to Midas and got a 300-point inspection for $35. Pages and pages of details. We were spending almost $6K on it and wanted to be sure it was a good deal.

Check edmunds.com for reviews of that year Sienna.

Yes it is difficult to reset the odom, but some people around here have taken to listing the mileage since they replaced the trans :confused1: ...happened to me several times on CL :huh:

Then you show up and the odom display shows quite a bit more than the ad

Carfax is a good option, or if you know a mechanic to take with you ;)

Whether or not you SHOULD buy a Sienna is great. (Toyotas and Hondas are great cars!) The mileage does seem VERY low. We don't drive a ton and our 2000 is at 123k miles. WHATEVER you do, take it to a mechanic. CarFax will only tell you what they know. No accident doesn't mean there wasn't an accident, just that one wasn't reported to them.

I would say though that at somepoint, even if the mileage is low, little things do start to break on cars. Doors stick, tape players (do you even need that?) stop working, radio volume controls stop turning and more of those little things....

Yes it is difficult to reset the odom, but some people around here have taken to listing the mileage since they replaced the trans :confused1: ...happened to me several times on CL :huh:

Then you show up and the odom display shows quite a bit more than the ad

Carfax is a good option, or if you know a mechanic to take with you ;)

I saw a few of those - but around here they were the exception and usually they included that information in the ad (if you read the fine print. ;p). there was one car dh insisted on looking at - I had concerns from reading the ad, and the guy was a flake - it was rebuilt, and only learned that after meeting him. (we bought from my choice - he was upgrading to a lexus and the car was in pristine condition. dh's mechanic was drooling and couldn't find anything but a need for an oil change - we'd been told it was due for one by the seller.). If a car has a rebuilt engine/transmission - I'd immediately pass.

The miles are low but at that age of vehicle even so it seems like things just start going wrong. I would be worried about trading in one problem for another.

Since you have already put so much money into your van. I would suggest keep driving your current vehicle and start saving for a newer vehicle.