Menu

Help! Son scored 450 on math on SAT...

We have always known this was his weak spot, so it's really no surprise but he thought he did really well and even said the math was easy! I guess it is if you have no idea what your doing :) Anyway, he is going to have to have scholarships to go to college, so I need to know how to help him get that math score way up! He did pretty good on the reading (640) and so-so on the writing (480-this doesn't worry me as much since so many colleges don't even look at that score). Here is a little background on his math "career":

*struggled through Algebra I with Kinetic Books, took a year and a half but made an A

* finished 10th by taking MUS Geometry in one semester-made a B

*started Kinetic Books Algebra II in 11th, failed first 2 tests, mom freaks and we stall for a while

*in January, he started remedial math at the local college (basically Algebra I again)-he is flying through it with an A and no problems, about to start the next level next week (basically Algebra II).

Ok, let me have it!! I know I should have just put him in the remedial math at the college in the fall, but it was very expensive (we get ACCEL funds here in GA but not for remedial classes) and I really thought he would be ok since he made an A in Algebra I. Live and learn.

I do have prep books for him and have been after him to go through them, but I'm not sure how much he is getting from it. He never asks for help, which is a red flag. Should I try to find a live or online class for him?

thanks for your help!

Ok, that's actually a relief to hear:) The remedial college class has 9 modules which basically cover Algebra I and II. He just finished module 5, so if he can get at least 2 more done in April, he will be put as In Progress and be able to finish it on his own over the summer. Otherwise he will have to enroll in the 2nd class for the summer or fall session. that will put him at College Algebra in the fall (hopefully), so do you think if he gets a few weeks of College Algebra in before taking the SAT in October that he'll be ok?

I think that's the best way to go for maximizing his score. I would expect an increase but not a huge increase.

I would do prep AFTER the community college Alg II is done, over the summer. I would especially focus on any geometry problems in the prep because he hasn't seen geometry in a couple of years and those problems appear frequently.

We have always known this was his weak spot, so it's really no surprise but he thought he did really well and even said the math was easy! I guess it is if you have no idea what your doing :)

<snip>

*struggled through Algebra I with Kinetic Books, took a year and a half but made an A

* finished 10th by taking MUS Geometry in one semester-made a B

*started Kinetic Books Algebra II in 11th, failed first 2 tests, mom freaks and we stall for a while

*in January, he started remedial math at the local college (basically Algebra I again)-he is flying through it with an A and no problems, about to start the next level next week (basically Algebra II).

<snip>

thought he would be ok since he made an A in Algebra I. Live and learn.

<snip>

Yes, as you wrote, he had no idea what he was doing, since he thought it was easy and that he had done well.

1 1/2 years with Kinetic Books for Algebra 1. That is a "red flag", because it took him much longer than normal. He received an A, but it took him 1 1/2 years.

Did he have Pre Algebra, before taking Algebra 1? If so, how did he do with that?

Algebra 2 with Kinetic Books was a disaster.

His understanding of Algebra is critical.

Hopefully, he will be much better prepared for the SAT in October 2013, but if not, wait until he is. GL

I think 450 is not bad considering his current level of math, so there is much hope for improving his score.

As others have said, the first thing that will help is to get more math, and especially more math experience, under his belt. Sounds like he's on track to finish the equivalent of Algebra II by next fall, which is good, and it sounds like he's had some geometry, which is also good--some review of the practical aspects of geometry is a good idea. I don't think the SAT tests geometry as heavily as the PSAT does, so an SAT prep book will help identify what geometry is needed for the test.

The other thing to realize is that the math problems on the SAT are not straightforward. They are quite different from the types of math problems typically encountered in a math class, and require some tricks and problem solving skills that can only be learned by prepping for the test. So, after learning the necessary math and being comfortable with it, prepping thoroughly for the test is going to be important.

I'd suggest using a prep book for a summary or review of the math concepts being tested, but for practice tests, I recommend using the real practice tests in the College Board's Official SAT Study Guide. What was effective for my kids was to start by doing a couple of tests untimed (but in one sitting). After each, go back through and analyze the problems missed (or got right but guessed at), and figure out why the answer is what it is, and what the fastest way to come up with it was. Once this is going well, add in the timing aspect, and do the same thing--go back and analyze all missed problems and any problems where you guessed. After awhile, you begin to get a feel for how SAT problems are presented and the problem-solving techniques needed for them.

I would encourage him to continue with the college classes through the summer. (I would recommend he actually enroll in a lecture class rather than have to rely on learning on his own. I wouldn't recommend online or independent study math classes for anyone who isn't strong in math.) He can start test prep at the same time and would have the benefit of on site tutoring help if he needs it. The more math he can get in before testing, the higher his score can be in the fall.

For even more specific advice, I'd suggest he talk with his current math instructor on the best way for him to proceed.

I also suggest that he continue with the actual in-person classes because he appears to need it. My two older girls were independent with math and very good at it. My youngest is not. She has to have me with her the entire time. If we weren't using MUS, she wouldn't be progressing in math. Kinetic Books is way beyond what she is capable of doing. Maybe after MUS Algebra II, she could handle Kinetic Books Algebra I. That's the difference in math rigor between the programs. A more rigorous program isn't any good for your student if your student isn't ready for it yet.

This summer, while he is continuing with in-person math classes through the cc, I would have him work his way through all the math problems in the blue SAT book. Khan Academy has videos that work through every problem in the book. I would have him do just one section of math problems on the test (typically there are 3 math sections in each test). He should do just one section and grade it and then watch the video for every problem that he missed or guessed on. He should watch for the guesses too even when he has eliminated 2 or even 3 of the answers already and ended up choosing the correct answer becuase this will show him how to actually get the answer.

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/sat-math

I also suggest that he continue with the actual in-person classes because he appears to need it. My two older girls were independent with math and very good at it. My youngest is not. She has to have me with her the entire time. If we weren't using MUS, she wouldn't be progressing in math. Kinetic Books is way beyond what she is capable of doing. Maybe after MUS Algebra II, she could handle Kinetic Books Algebra I. That's the difference in math rigor between the programs. A more rigorous program isn't any good for your student if your student isn't ready for it yet.

This summer, while he is continuing with in-person math classes through the cc, I would have him work his way through all the math problems in the blue SAT book. Khan Academy has videos that work through every problem in the book. I would have him do just one section of math problems on the test (typically there are 3 math sections in each test). He should do just one section and grade it and then watch the video for every problem that he missed or guessed on. He should watch for the guesses too even when he has eliminated 2 or even 3 of the answers already and ended up choosing the correct answer becuase this will show him how to actually get the answer.

https://www.khanacad...t-prep/sat-math

I would do a two prong approach.

1) Do whatever you need to do to get him solid on math. Maybe a tutor. Maybe an actual outside class. Maybe sitting with him and doing every lesson together. Something that will move him forward in understanding and also increase what he has covered. It's harder and slower to reason through questions that are very unfamiliar.

2) For the test prep aspect. I would take one section of the Official SAT prep book and have him work the questions one at a time, with you nearby. After he watches each one, have him watch the Khan video for it. I wouldn't time the subtest or even have him complete it all at once then watch only what he missed. You might even say if he misses more than 3 or 5 in a row then he should stop and come back to it later. The point of this would be to zero in on what about the test trips him up. Is it the way questions are phrased? Is it that the material is something he hasn't covered? Is it that the answers offer up options that match common mistakes so he's content seeing that his wrong answer is there?

But I don't think test prep is that useful if the mathematical understanding isn't there.

Another stopgap might be to have him work through the non-test prep Khan Academy math videos and practice problems. It might help him find the conceptual holes in foundational ideas that are making later algebra harder. You could have him start with the basic math stuff and move forward from there. (I've found with my kids that often a difficulty solving an algebra problem really hinges on something like forgetting how to deal with a fraction or multiply properly.)

(I've found with my kids that often a difficulty solving an algebra problem really hinges on something like forgetting how to deal with a fraction or multiply properly.)

:iagree: This is often the case with what I see too.

Otherwise, I agree with the majority - stay in math classes and do some test prep (if you can get him to do it) on the side. One prep book that is good with explaining the math is McGraw Hill. Since you've got time to run out of Blue Book problems (if he does them regularly), I'd probably start with McGraw Hill, then move on to Blue Book. In this case, stay away from Barrons. They tend to focus on the difficult problems making them a terrific choice for those chasing higher scores (who tend to miss the hard ones and can use extra practice on them), but really blowing the confidence of those who are still working on basics.

Just a caution about using the ACCEL program... Every credit hour you take with the ACCEL program is one less credit hour you can take using the Hope Scholarship. The Hope is only good for so many credit hours, so you can run out of credit hours before you graduate, especially if you have used the ACCEL program, and then you are paying full tuition. Just something to keep in mind.

Just a caution about using the ACCEL program... Every credit hour you take with the ACCEL program is one less credit hour you can take using the Hope Scholarship. The Hope is only good for so many credit hours, so you can run out of credit hours before you graduate, especially if you have used the ACCEL program, and then you are paying full tuition. Just something to keep in mind.

Can you clarify this? I was actually planning on him doing pretty much everything through ACCEL next year (senior year). He only needs 1 each of math, science, English, and history to graduate. He'll also do a foreign language, either college or Potter's since he needs Arabic and it's hard to find. He has plenty of electives already. So his senior year of high school would basically look like most college freshman years. But as long as he is taking core courses, that shouldn't matter, right? These are the same classes he would be taking as a freshman anyway, he's just doing it earlier. The remedial math class doesn't count-we paid for it because ACCEL won't pay for remedial classes. He is doing great in the math and the other class he's taking (government) and finds the workload and tests easier than what I've had him doing the last couple of years!

I have tutored several students over the past few years who initially scored in the low-to-mid 400s range on the SAT Math. They were able to increase their score by 40 to 50 points without learning any more math by following this advice:

• Slow down -- you only have to answer every question if you're going for a 700+, which is not reasonable at this time
  • Confidently answer the questions you can
  • Don't concern yourself with questions that are beyond your abilities -- just skip them and go on

One of my favorite resources for Math prep is this book: http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hills-Top-50-Skills-Score/dp/0071613919

It is inexpensive, not intimidatingly big, and actually kind of fun. There is some humor and light-hearted advice, as well as some great insight into how to approach problems. Personally, I find the flash cards at the back not useful.

HTH

Ordinarily I am not a fan of Saxon math books, but in cases like this they may be useful. My impression is that they are specifically geared toward raising SAT scores. It takes time to work through even one book, but I suspect there is no shortcut to learning math.

Before doing anything elaborate, I'd have him see if the ACT works better for him. Having taken practice tests for both (from the publishers), I find the ACT to be *much* more straightforward.

He's taking the ACT next weekend, so we'll see! I have a feeling he will do better on that one as well. From what I understand, the SAT is more critical thinking and can be trickier, which is not a good combination with the time restraint!