Menu

Saxon Math Question

MellowYellow

I second giving the placement test. Here is the link for the K-3 test....

http://saxonhomescho...y_placement.pdf

here is the 4-6th test

http://saxonhomescho...iddlegrades.pdf

My girls are advanced in math and they work ahead in Saxon (i.e. my 4th grader is completing Saxon 6/5 this year) but my son is not advanced and he is "at level" (he is in 6th grade using 7/6). My son tests fairly average in math on standardized tests so I would think this means Saxon is fairly accurate to grade level.

I prefer to use it this way...

1st grade - Saxon 2

2nd grade - Saxon 3

3rd grade - Saxon 5/4

4th grade - Saxon 6/5

5th grade - Saxon 7/6

6th grade - Saxon 8/7

7th grade - pre-algebra

8th grade - Alg.1

9th grade - Alg. 2

10th grade - Adv Mathematics

11th grade - calculus

12th grade - physics

BUT, if your child (like my ds) is not a strong math kid then this may not be possible. You can always start out slower and if your child becomes advanced as they mature you can skip the 7/6 text (some do this) or you can stay with the average-kid track and use calculus for math in 12th and physics for science.

Just my rambling thoughts

I also wanted to add....I prefer the texts for 5/4 and up. They are structured completely different than the younger Saxon K-3 texts.

MODG uses Abeka 1-3 in 1st through 3rd. Then it switches to Saxon 5/4 in 4th and uses Saxon through 8th or 9th grade. Some that find Abeka moves too fast use Saxon in the 1st - 3rd grades. HTH

MODG uses Abeka 1-3 in 1st through 3rd. Then it switches to Saxon 5/4 in 4th and uses Saxon through 8th or 9th grade. Some that find Abeka moves too fast use Saxon in the 1st - 3rd grades. HTH

Yes, I have heard of others doing this. I have an almost 4 year old and I keep going back and forth with what I will do with him. My older dc used Singapore until they hit Saxon 5/4. Decisions, decisions.

My daughter is basically on grade level with math in her testing, and we're in pre-algebra in 7th. We started Saxon in 5th grade, trying starting with 7/6 because she placed almost there and I thought the review in the beginning would be enough. It wasn't, so we ended up testing through 6/5 stopping when a hole popped up, then into 7/6 for 6th grade. She did well at the end of 7/6, so, following recommendations for the sequence from Art Reed of Using John Saxon's Math, we went into Alg 1/2. I anticipate we'll do:

8th grade: Alg I

9th grade: Alg II

10th grade: Adv Math pt 1

11th grade: Adv Math pt 2

12th grade: calculus

So, for your age group, I'd do the placement test (unless the child is already in Saxon, as all the tests say that will not give a valid result), but don't be tempted to put them in the higher book if they come close to qualifying and don't quite make it. At most, I'd test through to make sure any gaps are covered, stopping if your tests are below 80 to review the material covered.