Menu

Best Kindy picture book set?

Esse Quam Videri

My 2 ds have loved blue berries for sal, Jesse Bear, Gods oak tree, chicka chicka boom boom, swimmy. There are more this is not really a set I guess, but I will say that almost all the books from Before five in a row have been loved! I will be back my 1 year old is setting with me and making it really hard to type!

Pumpkin Soup

Something from Nothing

Where the Wild Things Are

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

The Gruffalo

Monkey Puzzle

Down at the Seaweed Cafe

The Boy Who Loved Stars

The Snowy Day

Miss Rumphius

The Little House (Virginia Lee Burton)

Blueberries For Sal

Make Way For Ducklings

I use BFIAR with my 3 year old. Although he listens to read alouds that my k'er is doing, I wanted to spend time on age appropriate books just for him. Since he does a lot with my k'er, I don't make the activities I do with him very elaborate. We keep it simple and spend maybe 10 minutes a day on BFIAR. He has really grown attached to some of the books and can even re-tell them. His favorites are-

Blueberries for Sal

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Jenny's Surprise Summer

Corduroy

The Blue Boat

Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?

The Snow Day

We've gotten all the books at the library, some I have had to pay $2-4 for an inter-library loan fee, but it's been really affordable. Most are available at our library.

My dd loves the "My First Little House" picture books. It uses some of Laura Ingalls Wilder text from LH in the Big Woods and LH on the Prairie chapter books and is beautifully illustrated.

Other beloved favorites are Beatrix Potter stories and Madeline series.

Beatrix Potter

Madeline

Winnie the Pooh

Mother Goose treasury

Those would be great treasuries to have on hand and just read through.

Also, you could use Wee Folk Art as a book list. Some people go on Sonlight and use their lit. as a book list from the pre-k core or k core and get the books at the library or online.

My boys love all the Robert McCloskey books:

Make Way for Ducklings

Blueberries for Sal

One Morning in Maine

A Time of Wonder

Llama Llama Books

Ladybug Girl Books

We're doing BFIAR and they are enjoying those books.

Beatrix Potter books

My boys have loved the books by Kevin Lewis (these are for 1-3 age range though).

Jerry Pickney books:

The Lion and the Mouse (wordless)

Rikki Tikki Tavi

Puss in Boots

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Sam and the Tigers

Tortoise and the Hare

John Henry

There's tons of beautiful books illustrated and/or written by him. Just do an Amazon search.

We have a beautiful Puff the Magic Dragon book my ds3 loves.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002R2I2YU/ref=pd_aw_sim_b_9?pi=SL500_SS115

I would highly recommend for anyone to see if the Imagination Library is offered in your area. If you do you can get for free a picture book a month mailed to you for EACH of your dc ages 0-5. It has been a nice mixture of classics and new books. But no real "twaddle". To see if you live in an area that has a chapter and register.

http://usa.imaginationlibrary.com/register_my_child.php#.UVHjM7e9LTo

We have a ton of picture books, but have been working our way through various treasuries. The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury, Read Aloud Treasury, The Golden Book of 365 Stories, Childcraft's Once Upon a Time, Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever, Usborne Treasury of Animal Stories, Usborne Lion Storyteller books ...

Here are my kids favorites:

Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales

The Little House

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

Eric Carl Storybook collection

Mad About Madeline

Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever

The Story of Ferdinand

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Make Way For Ducklings

Where the Wild Things Are

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Jan Brett books(Gingerbread Baby, The Mitten, Etc.)

Dr. Suess books(Horton Hears a Who, Horton Hatches the Egg, The Sneetches, Yertle the Turtle, I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today, etc.)

A Fly Went By

Put Me in the Zoo

Original Curious George Series

Go Dog Go

Wacky Wednesday

The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies

Inch By Inch

Mother Goose

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Animal Tracks

Babar original series

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

The Golden Book of Fairy Tales

The Giant Golden Book of Elves and Fairies

• 2 weeks later...

We're reading through the 20th Century Treasury and it is awesome :)! Lots of great classics, and as another poster mentioned, there is a FIAR like book with lots of activities based on many of the stories in there :). Lots of good preschool / k stuff from checking it out on Amazon, like cutting and pasting, baking togther, etc.

I ordered the Little Golden Book Treasury and am excited to try that as well as the Little House picture books series :)

It would be tiresome to make a list of all the picture books that we own and enjoy. My advice? get some good read aloud reference books and then dive in.

Jim Trelease Read Aloud Handbook

More Books Kids Will Sit Still For

Books to Build On

Look into literature curric such as Peak With Books, FIAR, Caldecott Across the Curriculum etc

Check out websites such as Ambleside, and see what they recommend, and look at ALA lists.

http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/caldecotthonors/caldecottmedal

http://mensaforkids.com/ReaderAward/k_3.pdf

These would make great read alouds as well as a reading list for a kid.

We love the FIAR/BFIAR books...I keep them on a shelf in our schoolroom so we can quickly grab one. I also like to pick up some to go with our history studies...we might only read one every few weeks, but it's nice to have all 4 of my DC interested in the same book!

I just got A Family Treasury if Little Golden books and am just thrilled with it :). We also bought The 20th Century Children's Story book Treasury. We've been reading from either of those most nights. My kids have loved the stories from both. All have been a hit!