Menu

Dairy free experts, can you help me?

jeninok

My mom really wants French Toast Casserole on Sunday, but my immediate family, including myself won't be able to eat it as written because it has 3 cups of milk, and 2 cups of half and half (which I would use 4 cups milk and 1 cup cream for anyway)

I know that subbing Almond milk for the regular milk won't be a problem, but how do I adjust for the cream.......extra fat in the form of butter or coconut oil, an extra egg?

I am wondering too because I was considering Green Bean casserole, I assume I can just use plain unsweetened almond milk, corn starch, and finely chopped mushrooms for the base, and then sprinkle with Rice Chex if I want to make it gluten free?

Also, has anyone ever made homemade Almond milk ice cream in an ice cream maker? We found a brand we love, but it is super expensive for a pint, which lasts about 5 minutes!

We done French toast casserole and just used almond milk for all the milk/cream. Maybe we've been gluten/dairy free for too long, but it tasted great and my dairy and gluten eating parents liked it too.

I've been meaning to make almond milk ice cream but we need a new ice cream maker. But I can't see how it wouldn't come out okay. I think I've just gotten used to not having things quite as creamy as they used to be.

I'm curious how the cream of mushroom comes out. That is one thing I have yet to try making.

I have found lots of recipes calling for coconut cream as a sub, but sadly we all have a serious hate for coconut, unless it is attached to shrimp and fried.

I have used the Almond milk to make a creamy pasta sauce with parmesian, wondra, and butter. It turned out just fine, and no one complained. I shouldn't eat the parmesian either, but it doesn't have lactose so it avoids the worst of the dairy issue at our house.

I might try a dry run of the Green bean casserole tomorrow night.

I don't need things creamy all the time either, but for holiday's it would be nice to have some stuff we can all eat and not feel deprived.

Plus, if I can have some go to recipes for comfort foods it will help me stick with this.......... looking in the mirror also helps, since my Cystic Acne is about 99% cleared since drastically cutting back on dairy.

I do miss cheese, a lot, and still eat some, :o

I just take it easy and save it for a treat, and then try to judge wisely how much I can have before a reaction starts.

Ditto the coconut cream or full fat coconut milk. It actually tastes creamier and better to me than anything made using regular milk/heavy whipping cream!

Also, you can use cold coconut cream to make whipped cream as well, and it's really good on French toast ;)