Menu

Does anyone here know...if a piece of property is zoned as "single family"....

ChristusG

I've found a property I like with a house already on it. It's about 6 acres and zoned "single family"....and you are able to have horses and such. If it is zoned single family, does that mean that my parents could not put a mobile home on the back of the property and live there as well? Just curious. We are looking into somewhere that they may be able to live on our property too.

I've found a property I like with a house already on it. It's about 6 acres and zoned "single family"....and you are able to have horses and such. If it is zoned single family, does that mean that my parents could not put a mobile home on the back of the property and live there as well? Just curious. We are looking into somewhere that they may be able to live on our property too.

It depends on your city/town/county by-laws. Typically, however, you can put in an accessory unit up to 200 square feet without a permit. You should give the planning dept. a call for specifics. :)

In our area, there would be two zoning laws that would have to be considered. A "Single Family Dwelling" would define a house, mobile home, or apartment in which the law states only one family may reside...this would be for the purposes of preventing the home from being subdivided into rental units. However, there is a definition of "single family" such that basically, your relatives such as aunts, uncles, and cousins can come visit for a while, but they can't take up legal residence in your home. Generally, parents/grandparents are allowed since moving in to take care of elderly or sick parents would be considered quite normal. What they are trying to avoid are situations in which there are 800 sq. ft. houses with 15 adults living in them because, well, a lot of the time that indicates illegal activity. However, in areas with HOA's, there can be very strict limits. When we lived in Oregon, after we bought our house the HSA voted that single family meant parents and children, that's it. They even stated that relatives could visit for up to 21 days, but at day 22, one would be paying fines to the HOA. GRRRRR

The other zoning law would be how close in proximity two residences can be and how many can be located on a lot of X size. In our area, it's pretty lax....if you've got a half acre, you can have two single family dwellings on it and there aren't any restrictions on mobile homes. However, one town north of here, mobile homes are VERY restricted.

Faith

Hi Christus....many many moons ago, I replied to your thread re: microwaves at the FPEA convention & the Gaylord. :) Sooooo....moving on.... Without a doubt, you are referring to a property, that is for sale, that is within sight of my home. :) I have info re: that property, that would definitely be of interest to someone wishing to purchase it. Please PM me! Have you guys driven by it yet? Either way, we are the white two story house on the right-hand side of the road with the long red tin roof over the front porch, that is located right before the actual cul-de-sac begins.....i.e. the street name transitions from 'Avenue' to 'Court.'

Re: your original question... The zoning people are very nice, however, the local builder who built my home, lives in this neighborhood and could probably make what you are hoping to achieve...happen... in one form or another.

Re: the property itself : We ALMOST made an offer before, well waaaay before.... it is a GREAT piece of property!!!!!!!

Hope to hear from you,

Jen

Edit-- If this is indeed the same property you are considering, this particular neighborhood is specifically zoned as, "Homes Only. In my original answer, I was thinking more along the lines of an addition to the actual existing home.

You will have to check with your local zoning laws.

I agree. In our area, additional houses like that are prohibited except if it's for family such as what you describe. So, you'll just have to ask the questions of zoning people in your area.

Yes, check the zoning for THAT township, city, or whatever. Actually go in and talk to the zoning administrator about that particular property and have them show you in the zoning ordinance what is and isn't allowed there.

In our area, if you have 5 acres or more you can pretty much have unlimited animals but at 4.99 acres or less it is much more limited. The township on one side of us only requires 1 acre for a horse while another neigboring township won't let you have even 1 chicken on less than 5 acres so it can vary a great deal from place to place.

Also check what size barns/sheds, etc you can put up---how many, what size, what height, where, etc.

Hi Christus....many many moons ago, I replied to your thread re: microwaves at the FPEA convention & the Gaylord. :) Sooooo....moving on.... Without a doubt, you are referring to a property, that is for sale, that is within sight of my home. :) I have info re: that property, that would definitely be of interest to someone wishing to purchase it. Please PM me! Have you guys driven by it yet? Either way, we are the white two story house on the right-hand side of the road with the long red tin roof over the front porch, that is located right before the actual cul-de-sac begins.....i.e. the street name transitions from 'Avenue' to 'Court.'

Re: your original question... The zoning people are very nice, however, the local builder who built my home, lives in this neighborhood and could probably make what you are hoping to achieve...happen... in one form or another.

Re: the property itself : We ALMOST made an offer before, well waaaay before.... it is a GREAT piece of property!!!!!!!

Hope to hear from you,

Jen

Edit-- If this is indeed the same property you are considering, this particular neighborhood is specifically zoned as, "Homes Only. In my original answer, I was thinking more along the lines of an addition to the actual existing home.

Wow, small world! I just PM'ed you! :)