Menu

Latin curriculum?

EmilyGF

I'll have a 3rd and 2nd grader I may do Latin with next year.

What is your favorite no-prep Latin curriculum? I had 1 year of Latin in high school (learned in Germany!).

DS 8 seems to rise to any challenge I give him, DD 6.5 is sharp as a tack, especially verbally, but learns better visually than orally. If there was oral memorization, I'd give her something visual to look at simultaneously.

Emily

I would start with Getting Started With Latin. There are so many Latin programs that give you pieces to memorize and explain it all later. I love the GSWL shows you along the way, in small bit practiced daily. I wish I had heard of this years ago, when I dropped out of Latin and let my older children move on, on their own. ;-) ( I love Latin now. )

Springboarding off the last post, if we're doing Minimus and Song School Latin now, would a good progression be GSWL next followed by Lively Latin? I like the looks of all 3 programs (LFC also looks intriguing, but the others are really speaking to me), but being that my background is in French and Spanish and not Latin I don't know if this is too slow of a path. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

We did use SSL, then GSWL, and stopped Lively Latin long enough to go back and do GSWL. I will likely do Latin Prep after Lively Latin 1, but that is just a personal preference. LL has more history than I need in my Latin program.

My youngest kids are very young, so the slow path doesn't bother me at all. We aren't spending and hour a day on Latin or anything. We will continue through highschool.

I don't know why others do it, I will use LL 1 as I bought it but the history is more than I expected. SSL was fun for my very young children. I used Wheelocks with my older kids many years ago starting when the youngest was 9. I love Wheelocks but not for small children. Our progression will be GSWL ( LL 1 for the songs mostly ), Latin Prep ( I am almost sure ), then lastly Wheelocks at a pace the kids can handle a few years from now. I hope to have them reading Latin Literature well by Highschool.

Of course most plans go off the intended path. LOL I reserve the right to change any or all of it as new curriculum comes out.

I am a Wheelocks Dropout, and let my older kids fend for themselves. There wasn't much better back then.

I think people switch Latin programs because they don't typically go "all the way". I love, love, love GSWL! My 3rd grader has really enjoyed it. It's simple - just open up the book (we use the book) to the page for that lesson, read it, do the exercises on the page. Easy peasy. And it MAKES SENSE to me, who has had zero Latin before.

I'm leaning toward Latin Prep after GSWL, but we have stretched GSWL out over 2 years (just doing 2 lessons per week), since my son is young.

I notice that people jump Latin programs routinely. Why? Is there not a program that goes through a progression?

Which Latin program would be this:

Grammar, reading in Latin sources, not deadly boring to a child. ;)

There is Henle, and it's doable for a 4th/5th grader. You just have to take it slow. It has the same incremental approach as GSwL, but rather than having one word per lesson, there are maybe 5-6 words with dozens of exercises.

What's not boring is LNM (http://www.lnm.bolchazy.com/), but it's a different approach. It's part immersion. This wouldn't have worked for us as a beginning book, but it would be fine after GSwL.

Actually, everyone should just begin with GSwL. It builds confidence in a new language, and that's essential for kids. Your kids will insist on continuing with Latin.

Our progression will be GSWL, Latin Prep ( I am almost sure ), then lastly Wheelocks at a pace the kids can handle a few years from now.

This is my plan for my youngest. We started GSWL last month, and he LOVES it. (The oldest is a lost cause.)

I think people switch Latin programs because they don't typically go "all the way". I love, love, love GSWL! My 3rd grader has really enjoyed it. It's simple - just open up the book (we use the book) to the page for that lesson, read it, do the exercises on the page. Easy peasy. And it MAKES SENSE to me, who has had zero Latin before.

I'm leaning toward Latin Prep after GSWL, but we have stretched GSWL out over 2 years (just doing 2 lessons per week), since my son is young.

We just started with this book this year for 3rd grade too and ds and I enjoy it. It is very easy to use.