Menu

My house has been clean and tidy for two months!

Laura Corin

Now, I need to join you in that whole weight-loss thing. I feel like I'm plateauing right off the bat!

The 5:2 fasting diet is what I'm doing - it's worth watching the documentary. I'm losing a bit less than a pound a week, and I won't know for six months of so if there are any other measurable health benefits. I find it fairly easy to do, however. Here's the documentary and here's the website. It's highly fashionable in the UK at the moment.

Just as a general caveat: it's not recommend for anyone who has a history of eating disorders as it involves eating very little two days a week.

ETA: my boss started at the same time as I did and he (curse him) has lost fourteen pounds in two months, as well as improving his diabetes and cholesterol scores.

Laura

The 5:2 fasting diet is what I'm doing - it's worth watching the documentary. I'm losing a bit less than a pound a week, and I won't know for six months of so if there are any other measurable health benefits. I find it fairly easy to do, however. Here's the documentary and here's the website. It's highly fashionable in the UK at the moment.

Just as a general caveat: it's not recommend for anyone who has a history of eating disorders as it involves eating very little two days a week.

ETA: my boss started at the same time as I did and he (curse him) has lost fourteen pounds in two months, as well as improving his diabetes and cholesterol scores.

Laura

This is very interesting. I would like to spend some real time looking into this. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, congrats on the house cleaning routine!

Elise in NC

Laura

I was just about to post about this!! How long have u done it? Can u give any insight? I have just a few pounds to lose but they KEEP coming back!

I was just about to post about this!! How long have u done it? Can u give any insight? I have just a few pounds to lose but they KEEP coming back!

I started on 6th January. I've 'fasted' (ie eaten 500 calories) two days a week since then, except the week before last when I only managed one day. I was losing steadily just under a pound a week, but then the 'one day' week seems to have set me on a plateau. I eat a light breakfast and a light supper, with mint tea between.

I find it fairly easy to do: I design the family meal around fish/prawns/chicken breast plus lots of veggies on that day, then add in a substantial starch for the lads. For me, one day is completely doable - you can always eat the next day. I don't find that I binge on other days.

Things to consider: as I mentioned, because of the 'fasting' cycle, it's not suitable for people who have had self-starvation eating issues in the past. It's also not suitable for people who feel strong physical or emotional distress when hungry. I've seen a few people say that that they find hunger unbearably painful - I don't, I just feel empty.

The maintenance phase (I haven't reached that yet) is meant to be fasting one day a week. I think I can do that long term.

FWIW, I started at about 144 pounds at 5'4", so I wasn't needing to lose massive amounts. Perhaps fourteen pounds overall? My boss, who lost much faster also had a lot more to lose - he was officially overweight.

Laura