Menu

LCHF people - product discovery of the day

wapiti

So, I finally found the Kerrygold butter hiding in a corner of the cheese section at Costco (alas, just salted, not unsalted, but I bought some. Now I can make DH eat it). Anyway, right next to it was a giant brick of Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar, 9g fat, 7g protein, 0g carb. That's zero total carb - zero fiber, zero sugar. Yum. I'm not quite sure what to even do with it, except to cut it up and eat it. :) Does anyone else have any new yummy foods to report?

Surely it must have carbs, lol - I could eat that all afternoon... For grass-fed unsalted butter for my bulletproof coffee, I've been buying Kalona at Vitamin Cottage, because it's twice as much butter (1 lb) for the same price as the unsalted 1/2 lb of Kerrygold at King Soopers. I still haven't gotten around to checking the prices at Whole Foods - I wonder if there are other grass-fed butters I don't know about. On another note, all the grass-fed beef I see is low-fat, maybe 90/10 or less, so I've been buying higher-fat (80/20 or more) regular cheap beef instead.

So, I finally found the Kerrygold butter hiding in a corner of the cheese section at Costco ...

I just wanted to point out that that's where I used to see Kerrygold butter at Costco - in the gourmet cheese section. But now, at my local Costco, it's in the big dairy case right next to the regular Kirkland butter. So if you are looking for this, look in both places!

So, I finally found the Kerrygold butter hiding in a corner of the cheese section at Costco (alas, just salted, not unsalted, but I bought some. Now I can make DH eat it). Anyway, right next to it was a giant brick of Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar, 9g fat, 7g protein, 0g carb. That's zero total carb - zero fiber, zero sugar. Yum. I'm not quite sure what to even do with it, except to cut it up and eat it. :) Does anyone else have any new yummy foods to report?

What, there cheese?! Must. Go. To. Costco.

I just wanted to point out that that's where I used to see Kerrygold butter at Costco - in the gourmet cheese section. But now, at my local Costco, it's in the big dairy case right next to the regular Kirkland butter. So if you are looking for this, look in both places!

thanks! I've seen the butter, but not the cheese, but I don't go down the cheese isle.

I'm confused. Why the excitement over cheese being 0 carb? Isn't most cheese low or no carb? Or am I so tired I'm missing the sarcasm or something? All my cheese is 0 carb or less than 1 gram. (i'm talking about harder cheeses, not cream or cottage)

I guess I don't get out much, lol, because I think the random grocery store cheddar I usually buy for the family has carbs (I'm not home to check - Eta, you are entirely correct - no carbs in our cheap cheese either).

Mostly, though, I don't recall seeing a lot of grass-fed cheeses - grass-fed supposedly has better types of fats that ordinary dairy products in the U.S.).

I'm confused. Why the excitement over cheese being 0 carb? Isn't most cheese low or no carb? Or am I so tired I'm missing the sarcasm or something? All my cheese is 0 carb or less than 1 gram. (i'm talking about harder cheeses, not cream or cottage)

You're right. Most cheese has about 1carb per ounce. Negligible unless you're eating a pound a more per day. :laugh:

On another note, all the grass-fed beef I see is low-fat, maybe 90/10 or less, so I've been buying higher-fat (80/20 or more) regular cheap beef instead.

Do you save the grease that cooks out of it and use that in other food? I usually drain that, so if I was looking for grass-fed beef that fat percentage wouldn't make a big difference. I only occasionally do the LCHF thing, so my feelings won't be hurt if you tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Do you save the grease that cooks out of it and use that in other food? I usually drain that, so if I was looking for grass-fed beef that fat percentage wouldn't make a big difference. I only occasionally do the LCHF thing, so my feelings won't be hurt if you tell me I'm doing it wrong.

I don't save beef grease. But, I am no authority on LCHF things, LOL... I'm quite sure I do it all wrong. I was under the impression that the higher-fat beef will still be at least somewhat higher-fat than lower-fat beef after cooking.

Yes, I think most cheeses are less than 1 g of carbs per serving. I read the post as just appreciating the Kerrygold goodness of the cheese as a bonus on top of the low carb. :)

I've tried Kerrygold, but dude, it isn't nearly as good as Plugra.

I googled this and one of the first hits was an Amazon seller who will ship butter using frozen gel packs. Who knew? B)

I don't save beef grease. But, I am no authority on LCHF things, LOL... I'm quite sure I do it all wrong. I was under the impression that the higher-fat beef will still be at least somewhat higher-fat than lower-fat beef after cooking.

Oh, good. I was a little concerned that I should have been drinking all that stuff I have been feeding to the dogs, cause there was no way that was going to happen.

After all of the raves on this thread, I was delighted to see Kerrygold cheddar at my local grocery store - and on sale no less! So I snagged it and had to come back and post how delicious this cheese is. I had a marvelous Saturday night - DH and I put the kids to bed and settled down with a good book, a glass of wine, a sliced apple and some of this heavenly cheese. Bliss.

For folks in the northeast, I found the Kerrygold cheddar at Shaw's.