Menu

Wah! My coffee maker broke. Need recommendations....

Stacia

My ancient Braun coffee maker bit the dust. It lasted many, many, many years & made great coffee. Apparently Braun has not sold coffee makers in the US for awhile now.

So, now I need to find a replacement.

I would like a carafe/drip coffee maker that...

• uses a cone-shaped filter (I use a gold reusable one)
  • does not drip when you pour it
  • makes hot (not lukewarm) coffee
  • easy-to-see measurements/marks in the water reservoir area
  • dishwasher safe pieces (and I like the thing that the filter sits in to be removable too so it can go in the dishwasher)

Any ideas or recommendations? (Or any to avoid?)

(I already have a French press. I'm specifically looking for a drip coffee maker.)

Thanks!

I had that Cuisenart, it died after 6 months, I took it back for a refund.

I had another Cuisenart before that that lasted for about 6 years. Not too bad I guess.

I got tired of looking for a decent coffee maker, reading reviews on Amazon is depressing, every one has bad reviews.

I ended up buying a $20 Mr. Coffee, I'm sure it will probably die within 6 months and then I will be looking again

Hi Stacia.

I am curious to hear which way you opt to go with your coffee maker. My Capresso machine is on its last legs but I only use it on the weekends now. During the week, my husband usually waits to have coffee at work (a feat I could never manage). So during the week I am using my antique Chemex pot with a stainless steel conical filter made by Able Brewing. Their Kone Brewing System is ascetically pleasing, uses a cone filter and is made in the US--but it is not an automatic coffee maker. You have to boil the water.

xlarge.jpg

Let me know which coffee maker you buy.

Another vote for the Technovorm Moccamaster! It is hands down the best coffee maker.

We have the Technovorm Moccamaster too. I have no idea if it is dishwasher safe, but it makes amazing coffee. It's my DH's baby. He wants to bring it on vacations.

Switch to TEA!!! ALL the cool kids are doing it!

:lol: (I drink tea sometimes -- even have a lovely tetsubin teapot -- but coffee is my first love. :001_tt1: )

I must admit that the Technovorm looks great.

Jane, does the Capresso make great coffee? It also looks like a great choice. Love your current daily pot. I've been using my French Press in the meantime (which means heating my own water). Ds learned how to make it yesterday & even had a cup after making it because he wanted to see what it tasted like. (He's 11 -- almost 12.) I do think we're raising another coffee drinker in the house....

Thanks for the input, everyone! (And, if anyone else has additional suggestions, please post.)

lol.gif (I drink tea sometimes -- even have a lovely tetsubin teapot -- but coffee is my first love. 001_tt1.gif )

I must admit that the Technovorm looks great.

Jane, does the Capresso make great coffee? It also looks like a great choice. Love your current daily pot. I've been using my French Press in the meantime (which means heating my own water). Ds learned how to make it yesterday & even had a cup after making it because he wanted to see what it tasted like. (He's 11 -- almost 12.) I do think we're raising another coffee drinker in the house....

Thanks for the input, everyone! (And, if anyone else has additional suggestions, please post.)

My parameters for a drip coffee maker include a steel carafe since I don't like coffee that sits on a warmer--and I always have more than a single cup.

I have been quite happy with the Capresso but I can't say if current machines are equivalent to mine which is old. Like seven or eight years? My husband bought a Capresso for me which died one month after the 12 month warranty. I called the company and they sent me a rebuilt machine--asking me to send my old one back in the same shipping carton postage free. This rebuilt machine has been going for years now. The plastic brackets holding the top of the water chamber upright have broken. But the machine still works.

Actually I don't own the beautiful Able pot but I did buy their stainless filter which I use in this:

I have a Cuisinart from Costco that fits your requirements.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-1200-Central-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B00005IBX9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363705928&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisinart+coffee+maker

I believe we paid 50.00 for it at Costco.

We have been using it for 2-3 years without a hiccup. Love it.

Dh or I set the pot up the night before and it brews in time for him to take a cup to work. I drink the rest when I get up. It also has a setting to shut off after 3 hours.

Normally coffee sitting for 3 hours is undrinkable but this pot keeps it at the right temp and it's still good 3 hours later.

We also have a Cuisinart Brr coffee grinder from Costco.