Menu

Are those ear thermometers any good?

This is a pretty pricey one. I'm on Tylenol and still my temp is reading from 102.4º - 104.4º. When I went to the doctor yesterday I was at 101.8º and I felt better yesterday. Now I'm freezing (in a heatwave no less.) I'm sick :(

I thought I had heard they were a degree higher, true?

Karen -

At the hospital we never added or subtracted a degree from our ear thermometers, they were accurate at the actual reading. I would recommend taking some Ibuprofen on a rotating basis with your Tylenol. Tylenol then 2 hours later Ibuprofen then 2 hours Tylenol again, etc.

What did the doctor say? I think you should call back again and tell them what your temp is right now. Don't wait until the office is closed tonight.

Ear thermometers are more likely to be inaccurate, but they aren't consistently higher or lower. In my experience, many people call reporting very high temperatures using ear thermometers. I think the last study I read on them showed there is high "operator" error. Meaning that used in the hospital by people who use them all the time they are more likely to be accurate.

We only use an oral thermometer around the house on the adults, but we have several. Daily use tends to lead to an excess of them. ;)

The kids get the ear thermometer since they're so young. I, too, had heard they were inaccurate but I've never seen any real evidence or studies to confirm that inherited prejudice.

Hope you get well soon.

Thanks guys. On the oral thermometer I am getting 101.5, much better. My husband tried the ear on himself and it was normal and then he tried it on me and it was 104.4º :001_huh: I don't know what the deal is, It can't be operator error. :lol: I'll stick with the oral. Maybe my ears just are getting really hot? It's a sinus infection according to the PRN.