Menu

Switching Orthondontists during treatment?

Joker

Dd had braces put on the end of last year but we have started to hate the place she is going. I now have zero trust for them as well. I would like to find a new orthodontist but am thinking it might be difficult. Has anyone done this?

Yes, it was a nightmare situation for us. Our new orthodontist had to take off the appliances from the old orthodontist and restart treatment from the beginning. The entire year (and money we spent) at the old orthodontist was a waste. The new orthodontist could even see that it was a waste. We had to start over and pay for everything again. But it was worth it to us. We are really happy, and the paying the extra money is worth having the peace of mind of being able to trust the person who is making permanent changes to your child's appearance.

I suppose we could have pursued suing the old orthodontist, but it would have been our word against his, and we didn't want to drag our son into it. He'd already been through enough.

We have but it's been a good experience so far. We were at tail end of treatment. Insurance however hasn't been as smooth and we had to pay off balance at old place. And don't have much $ left for new place. We changed due to a move. I will say new guy didn't care about records. He took his own pics and saw the retainers and gave me his opinion of treatment from that day on. The past was the past. That was nice.

Thanks guys. We paid the balance in full at the current office (used our Care Credit card) so I don't know how that works. I would think the insurance would just start sending payments to new guy for their part of it all. I had heard it was hard to find an orthodontist to take over mid treatment. So, if some have been able to find a new one that is a big part of what I thought would be hard. I guess I can at least start calling around.

Most likely, the insurance money will keep going to the old orthodontist. check the contract. My neighbor switched and had to pay all over again. The cost at the old place was dependent on the insurance money, so if the insurance money goes to the new doctor, you will have to make up the balance to the old place.

Most likely, the insurance money will keep going to the old orthodontist. check the contract. My neighbor switched and had to pay all over again. The cost at the old place was dependent on the insurance money, so if the insurance money goes to the new doctor, you will have to make up the balance to the old place.

This as my experience also. I hope it works out better for you.

Prior ortho assistant here. :)

The challenge is not going to be finding someone new. It's going to be the money. More often than not, the new ortho can work with whatever appliances (braces ;)) are currently being used. In fact, unless there is something drastically wrong, I would definitely look for a new orth who says they will work with what your child already has in place. Of course, different orthos use different brands, styles and even sizes of brackets and other appliances, but they can work with others.

I never worked directly with the money side of this, but people move. I've worked in very military friendly places. People transfer in and out of practices all the time. I know usually the patient will get a prorated amount back in refund if they have paid in full. I really can't help you out with the insurance part. I would think that as long as both offices are willing to do what is needed, you can get it figured out. I have worked with many, even ones neither I or the ortho was familiar with,

I am very sorry to hear you want to change because you are unhappy, but if you don't trust them, I would go with your gut and switch. I know from experience, there are great orthodontists out there, but like any profession, there are bad ones too. I'm sorry you found one. :(

So glad to read this thread! We need to start my oldest, as we've already delayed by several months, but now we'll be moving mid-treatment and I was concerned with whether better to start now and switch, or wait and start in the new location. I've read though that the longer you delay, the more likely the teeth are to revert back after treatment...?

Glad to hear it won't be a big issue.

I remember that we were facing a move mid-ortho treatment. Our ortho said they would work up an approximation of how much had been delivered already (braces + office visits), and pro-rate that against what we had paid, and then give us a balance due. We didn't have insurance that covered it, we were on a payment plan with that ortho's office.

We didn't end up moving, though, so I can't say how it worked irl. Hope you get a good solution!

So what happens if people move during treatment?

We moved. but it was an insurance change as well, so when I got tired of driving 4 hours one way for a 5 min check up we left. And new insurance had stopped paying anyway!

But you need to talk to insurance first. They may tell you they won't pay on new location. You are probably near your max if you did one treatment somewhere already.