Menu

Secular Logic Stage Ancient History Series

A girl in our swim carpool attends 6th grade at a local independent school (a very well-respected, super expensive, secular school for gifted kids). This afternoon, she had this book with her for homework: http://www.amazon.com/Early-Times-Story-Ancient-Edition/dp/1938026276/ref=dp_ob_title_bk Their 6th grade humanities class studies ancient cultures (Greece, Rome, and China) and for each unit, they use the corresponding book from the Early Times series from Wayside Publishing (http://waysidepublishing.com/history/early-times-series/#). Incidentally, she raved about her class and called it her favorite (that, indirectly, says a lot IMHO - most 6th graders don't tend to rave about ancient history).

I browsed the book briefly so I didn't get a chance to really study it, but it looked very promising. It had what looked like an engaging narrative and each section (or maybe each chapter) ended with several thoughtful questions and a few project ideas (writing prompts, research project ideas, etc).

If anyone is looking for a secular logic stage ancient history spine, this series might be worth a look.

A girl in our swim carpool attends 6th grade at a local independent school (a very well-respected, super expensive, secular school for gifted kids). This afternoon, she had this book with her for homework: http://www.amazon.co...title_bk��Their 6th grade humanities class studies ancient cultures (Greece, Rome, and China) and for each unit, they use the corresponding book from the Early Times series from Wayside Publishing (http://waysidepublis...-times-series/#). Incidentally, she raved about her class and called it her favorite (that, indirectly, says a lot IMHO - most 6th graders don't tend to rave about ancient history).

I browsed the book briefly so I didn't get a chance to really study it, but it looked very promising. It had what looked like an engaging narrative and each section (or maybe each chapter) ended with several thoughtful questions and a few project ideas (writing prompts, research project ideas, etc).

If anyone is looking for a secular logic stage ancient history spine, this series might be worth a look.

I just requested samples of each history book at Wayside Publishing.....I can't wait to see it!

Thank you!

Thanks for posting this. I've seen books by that author, Suzanne Strauss Art, previously. . . but I had forgotten about them. Someone else on this board also highly recommended them. The author has written several about ancient times, and also a couple about the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Books by Suzanne Strauss Art

Hmmm, we're ready for the Renaissance next, and I've really no sense of direction. Thanks for posting this!

We used the first edition of the Ancient China book a few years ago. I liked the detail, the end of chapter questions and assignments too. The color ones are very snazzy looking, but I found the black and white ones good for late readers as well, not too much distraction, decent size spacing on the page (at least in that one book). I wish we had used more of them. I'll be honest, it took me reading about them here for about a year before I really checked them out, I thought it was an art curriculum. :lol:

Well, I put in a request to see some samples....and this was there reply:

Jana,

We only sample books to teachers at public and private schools, if your academy falls under these guidelines please let me know.

Regards,

Karen A.

Office Manager

Wayside Publishing

50 Downeast Drive

Yarmouth, ME 04096

Phone/Fax: 888-302-2519

Well, I put in a request to see some samples....and this was there reply:

Jana,

We only sample books to teachers at public and private schools, if your academy falls under these guidelines please let me know.

Regards,

Karen A.

Office Manager

Wayside Publishing

50 Downeast Drive

Yarmouth, ME 04096

Phone/Fax: 888-302-2519

I'm sorry, that is disappointing. Did you request actual books to sample, or electronic excerpts? I guess homeschoolers aren't profitable enough for them. At least they responded . . . two weeks ago I emailed Royal Fireworks Press, asking a question about an MCT product (not even a sample, just a question), and never got a response.

I had better luck seeing samples or chapter excerpts of Suzanne Strauss Art's books at the Exodus Books website. But not all the books have them. Here are "selected passages" of The Story of the Renaissance.

Rainbow Resource also has some of her page previews.

Does anyone know how these compare to the Oxford University Press World in Ancient Times?

The World in Ancient Times was written more recently so will be a bit more up to date in little ways. The major difference is the visual format. OUP's series is fully illustrated in color with a good number of photos of artifacts, maps and illustrative sketches. The Strauss Art books are just text. There's an occasional black and white illustration here and there but not enough that you could really call the book "illustrated." Also, I'd say the OUP series covers more history and more cultures, whereas there are only a few Strauss Art books for a limited number of cultures and periods.

I'm sorry, that is disappointing. Did you request actual books to sample, or electronic excerpts? I guess homeschoolers aren't profitable enough for them. At least they responded . . . two weeks ago I emailed Royal Fireworks Press, asking a question about an MCT product (not even a sample, just a question), and never got a response.

I had better luck seeing samples or chapter excerpts of Suzanne Strauss Art's books at the Exodus Books website. But not all the books have them. Here are "selected passages" of The Story of the Renaissance.

Rainbow Resource also has some of her page previews.

I assumed it was the actual book samples b/c I had to fill in my address. It didn't mention electronic excerpts. Oh, well......thank you for the links! I'll take a look at those!

The World in Ancient Times was written more recently so will be a bit more up to date in little ways. The major difference is the visual format. OUP's series is fully illustrated in color with a good number of photos of artifacts, maps and illustrative sketches. The Strauss Art books are just text. There's an occasional black and white illustration here and there but not enough that you could really call the book "illustrated." Also, I'd say the OUP series covers more history and more cultures, whereas there are only a few Strauss Art books for a limited number of cultures and periods.

Thanks for this. It sounds like, for us, Art's books would be ideal. We did ancient Egypt with WIAT and it was just too much! Too much detail, too many distracting bits.

I agree that an all (or mostly) narrative book is best for us. I find books that are heavily illustrated or have many sidebars and additional text boxes very, very distracting. The Hakim History of Us books drive me batty for this exact reason (though I actually like the writing, if I can just tune out all the other stuff).

Most of the SSA books have been updated to full color. You should be able to see samples on Amazon. The earlier volumes should be available used on Amazon.

As to the samples:

I imagine they send sample copies (probably full copies) to B&M educators. Many traditional educational publishers provide sample copies to regular schools. Obviously, if "regular" teacher/school adopts the books they will buy multiple copies. I can see why they don't provide them to homeschoolers. I