Menu

Knowing what you know now, how would you do the preschool years?

Hello all,

I'm probably at that point of being a "veteran" homeschooler. We're starting our 7th year, and I will actually be graduating my oldest in 2009, in less than a year. :ohmy:

Since we started half way through the elementary years, however, I am clueless when it comes to the preschool/kindergarten/early elementary years. I've got 2 little ones coming up. They're currently almost 3 and 1, and I'm looking ahead to the next few years and wondering what to do.

Now, don't get me wrong . . . mostly we do lots of play and lots of reading picture books. I'm not looking for a Latin curriculum for my 18-month old or anything like that. :lol:

But it is appropriate to start thinking about pre-school for my almost 3 year old, even if we don't start for another year or so.

I'm rather overwhelmed with the many available phonics and reading programs. I had taught my teens to read just using the BOB books, nothing fancy at all, but then I sent them to school for phonics and spelling. Obviously I will need something a bit more systematic if we are homeschooling the little ones all the way through.

So . . . my real question is, knowing what you know now, what do you recommend for the preschool and kindergarten years?

We mostly used Sonlight during the elementary years and loved it. We also used Singapore Math, Rod & Staff Grammar, Spelling Workout, etc.

I'm not much of an activity or hands-on kind of person, though I recognize that preschoolers do need some of that. I believe in rigorous academics eventually, but am content to take it slow during the early years and mostly just lay a good foundation. Hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks in advance for any input or advice you might have!

Lynn

Kindergarten is one of my favorite levels to teach. It's so much fun, and it really can't get screwed up! :D

I don't have any preschool suggestions, and I could tell you what I did for kindergarten, but I don't know that what worked for me would work for anyone else. There's tons of great stuff out there now! K12 History K is probably my absolute FAVORITE kindergarten resource though, with it's semester long tour of the continents and a second semester of stories from American history. :)

Have fun!! I'm looking forward to having one more kindergartener coming up through the ranks.

I did almost nothing for pre-school. I got this book from the library:

Teaching Montessori in the home : the pre-school years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock

It has some fun ideas. I loved the idea of cutting out sandpaper letters and gluing them to cardstock for the tactile child. It took me forever to do it, and then we never used them. :tongue_smilie:

I might look into Before Five in a Row if I had a child who would sit and listen to a story. Gymnastics is great for balance and coordination.

For K, all we did was Reading Reflex for reading and Math-U-See for math. Ds went to a 2hr/wk science class at the local science museum, too. Soccer career began. ;)

I would have been more artsy-crafty. I'm just not that way. I can't put together paper and cotton balls to come up with lions and lambs for March (I saw that idea on a blog and was so envious). I've used books to try to come up with SOME things for my son to do, but they all seemed like so much work. lol

On the other hand, the time we spent cuddling in bed doing preschool workbooks and reading together was time well-spent!

bugs, grass, painting,baking and wonderful picture books. I would get them out to the zoo, to nature, to play in the water as much as possible. I would give them lots of raw material and few toys.

Mine are 14, 13 and 11 now. I think I was so excited to get going on academics and we could've spent more time with bare toes in the grass. We did quite a bit, but now we have much less time for trips to the zoo, the library, the park and all the "cozy" things that we did when they were little.

I realize that you have older ones at home with schedules and so on, but maybe the "preschool" could consist of setting aside time for these things. I know that would be my challenge right now if I were having preschoolers with the bigger ones.

If they really want some curriculum just like the older ones, we loved Five in a Row and I would imagine that Before Five in a Row would be nice, too. Lots of nice activities to accompany the books. Have fun with those little ones. I have really fond memories of that age and the wonder my kids had at that age!

:iagree:We do nothing "special" for preschool. They can hang out while I do the upper kids work or play with toys on their own. I read lots of books outloud.

Kindergarten is "fun" in our house - with only a very light hands-on Math & a Learn-to-Read class daily that are required. Otherwise, they get to pick a few subjects to do each week. (Oldest picked cooking & building. #2 picked art & sewing.)

I'm not a hands-on crafty type. And I'm a bit of an ecletic when it comes to curriculum. I also have all little ones (7 & under) so, take it with a grain of salt.

I would have been more artsy-crafty. I'm just not that way. I can't put together paper and cotton balls to come up with lions and lambs for March (I saw that idea on a blog and was so envious). I've used books to try to come up with SOME things for my son to do, but they all seemed like so much work. lol

On the other hand, the time we spent cuddling in bed doing preschool workbooks and reading together was time well-spent!

You and I sound a lot alike! ;)

Tons of books, oodles of reading aloud - that's why Sonlight was so perfect for us during the elementary school years.

Crafty type things, on the other hand? Soooooo goes against my nature. Can't we just read another book? :D

I would enjoy the time with them and only do fun things. They learn so much from anything that they do naturally and there are so many years ahead of them to do academics. I have never looked back and wished I'd done more school with any of my children, but I frequently regret not doing more fun things that would have brought joy to both of us. Enjoy your children. They time is so short!

Blessings,

Darlene

I feel like my 4 yr old's preschool is just right and am pleased with our routine.

He is happy as long as he feels included, so he has a bin of work just like the other kids, which he can choose from. Right now, it has ETC, Baby Lambs book of art, DEL, HWT, and some R&S preschool workbooks. I have no expectations or requirements for him, he just enjoys that he can get his bin out and sit down with the other kids, and he almost always chooses to do so.

He listens in to the other kids' school read alouds, history reading and science reading, but is free to wander off and play quietly.

Him and I spend 20-30 min together each day on activities just for him. We use ideas from the MFW preschool activity book and play games with Lauri toys. Or we look a craft from a Little Hands book or an art project from Maryann Kohl's Preschool Art, he picks one, and we make it together. I read to him from SL P4/5 or picture books of his choosing.

So mostly he just does what the other kids do, as far as school, and him and the other two younger ones spend a lot of time playing together. Legos, puppets, pretend kitchen stuff, dress-up, outside time, and lots of make believe that they come up with together. We explore outside a lot when it's not 105 degrees out.

He also is learning obedience and helping out, he has little jobs to do like the other kids. He wipes the kitchen table after meals, dusts, cleans the windows, cleans bathroom mirrors, makes his bed, helps fold clothes, etc.

Happy as long as he's a part of things. :)

In preschool I usually start a math workbook, some basic phonics lessons, and some basic handwriting lessons. I let them go as far as they want. Each child took off according to his/her own natural abilities and interest.

Aside from the above, I read to my children to pique their interest in the world around them, introduce them to maps and calendars and time, and provide them with lots of free time to explore their world, enjoy craft projects, baking, playdough, etc. Most of this flows naturally into our days.