Menu

Visitin Nashville

lauracolumbus

We're going to a volleyball tourney south of Nashville, and I wanted to add on an extra day. I'd like to see the Parthenon, Vanderbilt (I'm ok w/just driving through), and the science museum if possible. Is there something else I should try to see. I'm also trying to decide whether to stay downtown or a little further out. We're staying over from Sun. to Mon. and I'm wondering whether parking is free/difficult in this area.

Also, I'd like to know if there's a late Sunday Mass in the area.Thank

Thanks,

Laura

The science center has free parking, and the Parthenon is in the middle of a park, which also has free parking. Parking on Vanderbilt's campus without a sticker (and often even with one) requires two pints of blood and a kidney.

All right, perhaps I exaggerate just a bit, but Vanderbilt parking is a total headache. If you want to park on campus you can try the few parking meters in the very center of campus -- follow the signs that say "Public Parking," but you can also just park at Centennial Park for the Parthenon and just walk across West End Ave. into Vandy.

I believe that the Parthenon is closed on Mondays, just as a heads-up.

I'm afraid that I know nothing about Masses, but I live right in that area so feel free to ask any additional questions.

The Parthenon is very close to Vanderbilt. You can park for free in Centennial Park (where the Parthenon is located). Near the park is the Vanderbilt and West End area which has shops and places to eat. There is a lot of traffic in this area so walking isn't always easy.

Opry Mills is shopping and has free parking. Nearby is Opryland Hotel which might be fun to walk through if you have never been. The hotel is free to enter but they charge for parking.

If you are south of Nashville, the town of Franklin has a nice downtown area with shops that has free parking and places to walk.

There are dozens of historic houses, old plantations, museums and tours. I don't want to overwhelm you with options....What other types of things would you like to see or interest you?

If you stay downtown you will be close to 2nd Ave and Broadway which are both tourist and music destinations. However, it can be more crowded. You will probably have to pay for most parking in the downtown area.

Thanks Jenny and Redhead. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The hotels downtown almost all charge for parking (w/o telling me how much online--the Millennium is the exception). So, it makes more sense for me to stay further out if I can park at our destinations. I might just drive through Vanderbilt to get a feel. Not sure what we see anyway.

Redhead, I'm looking for something organic to Nashville--something I can't find elsewhere. We've seen plantations, etc, but something like the Parthenon is very cool. So, we should probably go to the Grand Ole Opry as well. I did see the Opryland Hotel with a good deal on Expedia. I'll go back and see what their deal was.

Also thanks for the info on Franklin. That's where our volleyball tournament is; so I'll check out hotels there as well. Our team is staying south of there for two nights, but we're staying an extra day just so we can tour a bit.

Thanks again for your help.

Laura

Parking at Opry Mills is free so if you're not opposed to walking across the parking lot, park there to go to Opryland. We never do much downtown so I couldn't tell you much about that. Nashville is just the closest big city with nice shopping for us so that's what we go for.

You can also check Brentwood for hotels as it's between Franklin & Nashville. Lots of fun places to eat in Franklin, and really their downtown is precious! Love the shops. I can give you a list of several places in Franklin for restaurants, if interested.

OpryMills is just ehh, imo, but I haven't been since they reopened after the flood. Opryland is a hit, for sure. Grand Ole Opry is in the same area.

Downtownish - Broadway & 2nd Ave for Nashville Music Scene type places (Tootsie's & Robert's Western World, Wildhorse Saloon, Country Music Hall of Fame - which is on 5th I think). Oh, Frist Museum is also on Broadway. Ryman Auditorium (old opry house), Oh, and Music Row, you must drive up & down these two streets. Well, if you like music. :) Very cool to see the different record label buildings and the recording studios that are in all the cute little houses. Belmont Mansion is pretty & offers a nice tour.

When we visited Vanderbilt - in the summer - the lot by the admissions office filled up fast BUT we found street parking just outside. But, again - this was summer!

The nerd in me loves the state history museum downtown, and touring the Capital building.