Menu

Room darkening shades

queenie

If you want to give it a whirl but not commit a huge investment, they make temporary stick-up shades. Home Depot and Lowes have them. You just cut them to size and stick them to the top of the window frame. There are clips to hold them open.

They say they're temporary, but I've had one shade in a foyer window for a couple years, so...

I bought a set of darkening curtains for our bedroom that have worked pretty well from Penny's. I have had both shades and curtains and would go with curtains again. The shades that we had would often for some reason get over spun and would often come come down. I also think the curtain make it darker. I didn't pay a fortune for the curtains, but I don't remember what I did pay for them.

We use the Eclipse brand. I think the ones we have are similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Kendall-Blackout-42-Inch-63-Inch/dp/B004ZD29CA/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1362748904&sr=8-11&keywords=eclipse+curtains

I have seen them at Target, Sears, and maybe Walmart. You can probably find better/more expensive ones, but these work for our purposes. It doesn't make it pitch black during the middle of the day, but that wasn't something we needed.

If you want to give it a whirl but not commit a huge investment, they make temporary stick-up shades. Home Depot and Lowes have them. You just cut them to size and stick them to the top of the window frame. There are clips to hold them open.

They say they're temporary, but I've had one shade in a foyer window for a couple years, so...

I bought similar ones at Walmart for my son's bedroom. They work really well. His room is like a cave.

I hired a local professional to custom order and install honeycomb-blackout shades. We love them in the bedrooms. They keep out the heat or cold and it is like midnight in there during the day. (Our house came with them in 3 out of four of the bedrooms, and I was shocked at how much of a difference they make.) Now they are in all the bedrooms and my dd, who used to get up with sun...gets up when she sets her alarm.

we picked up some paper-folding type ones at Lowes last year - they will cut them to length for you but its basically off-the-shelf. we installed them ourselves. we were quite happy - but now they will only go up half-way, no matter what i do. grrr.

I bought some black out curtains at Ikea for my daughter's west-facing room, so she could sleep at bedtime in the summer instead of at 10 pm. They work well and were inexpensive. I'm planning to redecorate her room soon, once she is no longer gluing her shoes to the hardwood floor or throwing hard objects at the wall while in time-out, and I saw some room-darkening curtains at Pottery Barn Kids that looked really nice. And pricey.

I bought room darkening fabric from JoAnn and sewed it on the back of dd's curtains.

I did this for our bedroom and it made a big difference. We also got the blackout roller shades for the kids' rooms, cut to fit the dimensons we wanted. We mounted them outside the window frame with a bit of overlap on the walls. They have worked well, too.

We have the honeycombed, double cellular, room darkening shades (they also offer blackout shades) from justblinds.com. They will send free samples of the different colors that they offer. The price was right, too. We also bought them cordless (will only buy this from now on) especially considering they are in kids' bedrooms. I'm very satisfied with them.