Menu

Readers - Do you use any specific ones?

Hottater

I was at a loss staring at all the easy readers that were at the library, and couldn't find any that moved up by levels that were similar to one another. Deciphering which adapted to Ordinary parents guide, or another phonic program was difficult. After some fly guy books, and frog and toad books, and some Dr. Seuss, I finally settled on Abeka readers because my cousin gave them to me free. Then I found a source for free viewing of certain McGuffy readers. Then I saw that Ambleside online had a list that I could goto the library to check out. (Lots of work to keep track with my littles hiding books and causing my library bill to go up. My ds still loves the pictures, and Abeka seems to slowly ween them away. Which is nice.

What did you find most effective? And, did you find any that fit into a history spine. Like we do classical method whereby we are using MOH vol 3 reformation to 1750. Any easy reading books that have stories that go along with that type of era for younger students? I did find a book on pocohantas that my ds read. It was a good match.

My oldest was in ps when she learned to read. I had BOB books, and then later Magic Tree House books, for her.

I was using Sonlight the first time I had to teach a child to read. Now I have all the SL readers for the lower levels, which I have used with 2 boys and plan to use with dd3 when she is ready. I had them all color-coded with labels on the spine, and I kept the SL reader schedule to help me remember the order of the books. I've packed them up in boxes until dd3 is ready for them (because I don't want her to make me read them over and over...) :tongue_smilie:

Oh, He's in the grade 2 Abeka readers. It's a good 20 minute read time per chapter/story. We did bob books too when in k and they did match up with OPG in some instances. It was much harder to work the lessons in the beginning, because I forgot to do the 2 review and one new. We finished the summer before 2nd grade. I found that www.progressivephonics.com a great tool for my dd. I love OPGTTR, I just wish that some illustrations would help them want to read. I knew it was really hard for my 2nd grade ds - visual learner. Can't figure out my dd yet. I just don't want to have the same struggles.

Yes, the library does that. But researching it is easier with the librarians that I LOVE! I have issues researching it at home too! LOL .

We started out with BOB books....then my ds just got tired of them and wanted something different. He does love the "I Can Read!" books....he is reading the level 2 & 3 books....there are some that are history, science, etc. With AAS we use the AAReading books because they give him practice of reading his spelling words in context! He just finished AAS/AAR Level 2 and is now asking for Level 3 book.....He enjoys the stories a ton but most of all he LOVES the pictures!!

I have the McGuffy books so we will probably read through it until we pick back up with AAS/AAR............

Another great series of books are the "Let's Read and Find Out"....these are great for a science lovin' kid! They are leveled, too.

I recently discovered Brian Cleary at the library and love his books. They work really well with OPG as well as other phonics programs and another set works well with FLL. :D

I also have a complete set of Reading A-Z Leveled Readers that I rely on. You have to get a subscription, but it was worth it for me. They are all printed out (I printed 3 so each one of us would have a copy) and put into a plastic cart. They have to read at least one per day.

Like Plum Crazy, we also use Reading A-Z leveled Readers.....my sister is a school teacher and recommended it to me. They are great to check fluency and for assessing. The site is pretty overwhelming at first but once you start digging in there, it's a piece of cake! We usually just read it on the screen instead of printing....

I don't search for early readers that match our current content. I just read aloud our content. I find it hard enough to find content books that I can read aloud instead of having to retell Waldorf style.

For earliest readers, I use Don Potter's First Readers Anthology which is aligned to Alpha-Phonics, and vintage readers from this list.

Once the basic phonics are covered I often use McGuffey Eclectic Readers (not the tan Mott Media version), and Psalms Reader, and early reader NIrV Bible story books.

No. I just let my dc pick out books to read.

It didn't matter whether those books had the specific phonics thngies that dc had learned or not learned. If the books were too difficult, they put them down, or they puzzled over them to figure things out. It only mattered that they had books in their hands.

No. I just let my dc pick out books to read.

It didn't matter whether those books had the specific phonics thngies that dc had learned or not learned. If the books were too difficult, they put them down, or they puzzled over them to figure things out. It only mattered that they had books in their hands.

This has worked well for us as well. Easy books increase my son's confidence and I help a bit with the more difficult books. As long as he is reading everyday, we continue to see progress.

We are fans of the McGuffey readers. The typical level 1 readers drive me nuts because there are so many difficult words...It's hard to find readers that pretty much stick to CVC words (with only a few sight words). McGuffey adds a few new words each lesson, so they really build on each other. I also just borrowed the MCP readers from the library and they look nice as well...my 6yo has been wanting to read all day, so we need variety!

Once they get going, I let them choose independent books from a shelf of level 2/3 readers (like Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia, etc.) and we use McGuffey for our phonics lessons.